New Trailer Out

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 3 Dec 2015, 05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the new trailer?

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed, 13 Jan  2016, 11:36
Putting that petty stupidity aside, the part where we see the Bat symbol branded on the crook's chest in the trailers reminds me of Zorro slicing the letter Z on his enemies. It makes sense since Bob Kane cited Zorro as an inspiration when he created Batman, and in this film, it might be possible that the last film that Bruce watched with his parents had a deep psychological impact on him.
Interesting thought. I think it would be a nice touch if Batman gave a grin similar to Keaton during the marking scene. Showing that he relishes the act of meting out justice. Also similar to the extreme brutality of All Star Batman and Robin. But allowing for character growth as this Batman develops throughout the new timeline. The effect of Superman on his life. Being dark and mean, but perhaps not so sadistic.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 13 Jan  2016, 19:45
Putting that petty stupidity aside, the part where we see the Bat symbol branded on the crook's chest in the trailers reminds me of Zorro slicing the letter Z on his enemies. It makes sense since Bob Kane cited Zorro as an inspiration when he created Batman, and in this film, it might be possible that the last film that Bruce watched with his parents had a deep psychological impact on him.
Interesting thought. I think it would be a nice touch if Batman gave a grin similar to Keaton during the marking scene. Showing that he relishes the act of meting out justice. Also similar to the extreme brutality of All Star Batman and Robin. But allowing for character growth as this Batman develops throughout the new timeline. The effect of Superman on his life. Being dark and mean, but perhaps not so sadistic.

That would be excellent if it were true, TDK. We'll see if it turns out similar to that.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

http://www.gamespresso.com/2016/01/08/spoiler-alert-zack-snyder-hates-spoilers-and-talks-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-trailer/

I've always felts that there is far more to the movie than what we have seen in the trailers. Remember Charles Roven said that there could possibly be a cut of the movie that approaches 4 hours? If that's the case, we should really get to know the characters and the world they live in.

I just found Waldo in that weird version of that trailer.  ;D

Whereeeeeeeeeeeeee? I just tried and couldn't find him. I always sucked at those lol.

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu, 14 Jan  2016, 13:47

Whereeeeeeeeeeeeee? I just tried and couldn't find him. I always sucked at those lol.

Pause it at 2:00 where Batman is in the desert. You can see Waldo in the far left corner.  8)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Thu, 14 Jan  2016, 14:10
Quote from: Catwoman on Thu, 14 Jan  2016, 13:47

Pause it at 2:00 where Batman is in the desert. You can see Waldo in the far left corner.  8)

Found him!

lol

I've had a few too many Guinnesses, so what I type here may or may not be coherent.

John Williams has a great Superman theme. We all know it, and we are told this all the time. But you know what? We are allowed to like other Superman themes, and others actually exist. So here's my revolutionary comment.

I prefer Hans Zimmer's Superman soundtrack.

Are you spitting out your coffee, or whatever is in your mouth yet?

For me, Zimmer managed to capture different moods of the character in more interesting ways. In 'Earth', we have a humble tune which, to my ears anyway, conveys Clark's country boy upbringing. I can easily visualise him sitting out on a verandah, looking at the stars and yearning for a better tomorrow. I think it's great. Williams never touched upon this rural aspect of the character.

Zimmer also paid tribute to the Americana of Superman in the first half of 'Flight'. It's a hopeful tune and to me, says this man hails from the USA with again, elements of rural upbringing.

'Oil Rig' for some may represent the worst of Zimmer. Loud, aggressive drumming, but hey, that's something Williams didn't touch on. The raw, undiluted power of the character strutting his stuff.

The Clark Kent theme, the piano notes, works well for me too. It's simple and humble. Humbleness is a big part of the character. The contemplative aspect of Clark. What he has gone through in his life before suiting up, and the troubles he still encounters while out and about saving people.

That rising notes we hear in 'Look to the Stars' is simple but to me sounds so right. It seemed to gel with me to the point I could've swore I'd heard it before. But it was all new. Interesting too that this rising note forumula was also used by Zimmer for Batman, but here he creates the opposite mood.

And now we're at the main theme. Sure, we all know Williams has a magnificent theme. We don't need to say it again, do we? But Zimmer did fine with his. The piano notes are there are it morphs into a soaring series of notes. The ending part of the theme also conveys to me moods the Williams theme lacked, other than just being heroic and uplifting. The sound of yearning, and that yes, the dream of a united world may yet still be possible.

So that's my case for Zimmer's Superman score. I enjoy it more than his Batman soundtracks.

To me it's not a case of either/or. It comes down to tone and intent.

The Williams hero theme was basically supposed to communicate the majesty and grandeur of Superman in a fictional world that was nevertheless every bit as affected by Vietnam, Nixon, Watergate and all that stuff. What I've always taken from the Williams theme is an underlying sentimentality intended specifically to Americans. Star Wars was a universal experience but I think STM was something more specifically aimed at (or at least embraced by) Americans. We'd been through a lot and now we had one of our most familiar icons smiling broadly and living up to every ideal we ever had. It was like a voice telling America "You need to dream again." That isn't to say non-Americans can't or shouldn't appreciate STM. I just happen to think it was encouraging at a time to us when my country needed encouragement.

There's this idea that the Williams hero theme can be applied to any version of Superman and it will always match perfectly. I find that to be untrue. Every Superman hero theme matches the tone and style of whatever movie or TV show for which it was intended. But they don't work as well when they're paired up with anything else.

The Zimmer theme is uniquely Zimmer with the thundering drums and whatnot. But what separates it from the Williams theme is that it ultimately represents Kal accepting his place as a strange fusion between the Kryptonian people and the human race. He's not Kryptonian and he's not human. He's both and yet he's somehow more. That's what the Zimmer theme means to me. It's Kal transcending both Kryptonian and human limitations and embracing a third option- Superman. In so doing, it's supposed to show audiences that Superman doesn't have to be "made" cool. He already is cool.

STM is, intentionally or not, a cultural shot in the arm, a booster injection of Americana. MOS is about the more universal value of wanting to transcend your ordinary limitations and become more than you've been up to now. Both of their hero themes play into those ideas heavily.

As to the remainder of the Williams score, this may be blasphemy to some but I think Ken Thorne took a lot of those themes in more logical and creative directions in Superman II and III. STM's score is enjoyable and a bona fide classic. I'd never say otherwise. But from a creative standpoint, I think Thorne just took those ideas further.

For example, Thorne took the Williams The Planet Krypton theme and made it almost a villainous piece.

As to the remainder of the Zimmer score, I enjoy it. But it doesn't have as many recognizable themes and they're usually not interwoven into other tracks. Zimmer has a composition we could loosely call Superman's Hero Theme and he drops that in periodically but there's no real variation. It's not a theme in the more universal sense; it's a composition that he either uses or doesn't use.

I really enjoyed the Krypton-oriented Zimmer music. It simultaneously has an alien feel to it with a kinda sorta churchy quality going with the choir stuff. Very enjoyable. It reinforces what Goyer and Snyder were shooting for in making Krypton a truly alien civilization. Krypton isn't a more futuristic Earth; they're motivated by and governed by a different set of philosophies and values.

If you were supposed to be drunk TDK, have no fear. It was an insightful post.

I still like the Williams score, but I believe Zimmer's music is appropriate for a modern era and gets the adrenaline pumping. I found his MOS score way more exciting and memorable than his original Batman stuff, which I found to be dull. Except for the Bane theme. I hope Zimmer will come up with a much better theme for Batman in his second try.

You can definitely tell that the MOS music takes a lot of different emotional cues e.g. the poignant piano playing to convey Clark's sense of loneliness, yet it feels warm at the same time because of his parents trying to look after him. The Kryptonian theme is very sci-fi, as it should be. And whether you like it or not, the drumming conveys how high the stakes are.

As to the remainder of the Williams score, this may be blasphemy to some but I think Ken Thorne took a lot of those themes in more logical and creative directions in Superman II and III. STM's score is enjoyable and a bona fide classic. I'd never say otherwise. But from a creative standpoint, I think Thorne just took those ideas further.

For example, Thorne took the Williams The Planet Krypton theme and made it almost a villainous piece.

That's curious. Are you referring to the beginning of SII where the hopeful music suddenly transforms into this dreaded military drumming beat as soon as Non snaps that guard's neck?

By the way, a new preview was released a couple of days ago from the official BvS score, titled "Their War Here".

It's mostly the same music from the scene in MOS where Superman violently flies into Zod and shouts "You think you can threaten my mother!".

Ok so I'll admit first off that I have never listened to the MoS score outside of the one time I watched the movie (and obviously then I wasn't paying attention to the music) so I can't really comment on that.

All I know is that I hear this and the majesty and power of it moves me literally to tears and fills me with such......I don't know. When I listen to this I feel like even *I* can be Superman. Well Supergirl. But you get it.

But trust me TDK I get the idea of liking a different score over the one that is anointed. I actually like Elliot Goldenthal's score for Batman Forever a little better in parts than I do Danny Elfman's scores.