New Trailer Out

Started by Slash Man, Thu, 3 Dec 2015, 05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

What did you think of the new trailer?

Luthor was actually popular when he was President because, well, he IS really smart, and an excellent businessman. The point was that Superman had his worst enemy as President of the country that he stood for.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon,  7 Dec  2015, 17:33
Luthor was actually popular when he was President because, well, he IS really smart, and an excellent businessman. The point was that Superman had his worst enemy as President of the country that he stood for.
I know.  :)  And that is such a fascinating dynamic, and raises the stakes for Superman instead of just having him go up against an ordinary mortal with no super-powers.  Instead he's going up against an ordinary mortal with no superpowers who also happens to be leader of the free world and thus the most powerful person on earth, with his own army to use as he chooses.

Also imagine how conflicted the public would be in terms of which icon to trust, Superman or the President?  Superman would have to respect the electorate and be more canny in how he handled President Luthor.

Unfortunately, I cannot imagine nervy, geeky, stuttering whizz-kid 'EisenLex' ever becoming President, so there goes that potentially fascinating narrative, at least until the reboot.  ::)
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon,  7 Dec  2015, 17:38
Quote from: Edd Grayson on Mon,  7 Dec  2015, 17:33
I know.  :)  And that is such a fascinating dynamic, and raises the stakes for Superman instead of just having him go up against an ordinary mortal with no super-powers.  Instead he's going up against an ordinary mortal with no superpowers who also happens to be leader of the free world and thus the most powerful person on earth, with his own army to use as he chooses.

Also imagine how conflicted the public would be in terms of which icon to trust, Superman or the President?  Superman would have to respect the electorate and be more canny in how he handled President Luthor.

Unfortunately, I cannot imagine nervy, geeky, stuttering whizz-kid 'EisenLex' ever becoming President, so there goes that potentially fascinating narrative, at least until the reboot.  ::)

Yeah. I know. That is my problem as well with this Edward Nygma-Killian wannabe  ;D

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  7 Dec  2015, 13:11
Lex Luthor is perhaps my favourite comic villain apart from The Joker. In some ways, I don't necessarily see him as a villain even though his methods are slimy. He's the perfect encapsulation of the power of words, glib charm and symbolism. Being a salesman. The ability to phrase an argument and tell a story.

Lex Luthor: Man of Steel is a solid representation of what makes the character great. He genuinely has a positive vision for Metropolis and the world. He wants people to see things like him, and it frustrates him when they don't. As such he's a man who thinks the end justifies the means. When he has a strong belief he will pursue it, even if it means lying, cheating and killing.

I've gotten use to the idea of Luthor being a randian/kafkaesque villian; Lex Luthor, as a character, is really is one of the most talented and exceptional human beings out there in the DCU, both mentally and (more often than not) physically as well. All things considered, he would give Batman a run one on one, and would have been one of earth's greatest heros, but unfortunately looses it when Superman shows up. I agree Lex Luthor: Man of Steel is one of the better modern Luthor stories out there, and also a personal favorite villain for me as well. The Joker, Lex Luthor, and Doc Ock are my top 3.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon,  7 Dec  2015, 17:18
In fact, my favourite live-action Luther so far, and the only time I think the character has been done right by an actor (as enjoyable as Gene Hackman's version was), is John Shea in "The Adventures of Lois and Clark", and he sported nice looking hair for the first few seasons before going bald.

If we're talking about television portrayals, I thought John Shea was a adequate Lex Luthor for television. It's notable that this was probably the first time viewers ever saw a more Post-Crisis John Byrne/Marv Wolfman version of the character in live action, but it's just unfortunate for Shea that Luthor's time as a regular antagonist on the show was cut short following the conclusion of Season 1, followed up with only some sporadic appearances here and there in subsequent seasons.

I can't say I've watched alot of Smallville, but Michael Rosenbaum earnest portrayal was very significant as well. As I believe more people got familiar with a Lex that could be viewed as a more complex/interesting/sympathetic character. Which I thought was a nice blend of both the Pre-&-Post Crisis versions...

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Mon, 7 Dec 2015, 21:22 #64 Last Edit: Mon, 7 Dec 2015, 21:26 by Catwoman
The Lex I wanted to see was the DCAU Clancy Brown version. The deep booming voice and imposing physique and the deep in his heart belief that he can go toe to toe with Superman and bend steel. I thought it would be a no brainer but I guess they had to change it up somehow. Whatever.

Quote from: Catwoman on Mon,  7 Dec  2015, 21:22
The Lex I wanted to see was the DCAU Clancy Brown version. The deep booming voice and imposing physique and the deep in his heart belief that he can go toe to toe with Superman and bend steel. I thought it would be a no brainer but I guess they had to change it up somehow. Whatever.
Hey, we finally agree on something.  ;D

I'd definitely have preferred to see that version of Luthor as well.  Like you say, a guy who is not just super-smart but is physically imposing and menacing too.  Someone who is a bully to pretty much everyone but the one guy who can stop him, Superman.

Also, Donald Trump's recent proposal for a Muslim Register is exactly like something an arch-comic-book villain would come up with.
You're trying to bait me, right?

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  8 Dec  2015, 04:08
Also, Donald Trump's recent proposal for a Muslim Register is exactly like something an arch-comic-book villain would come up with.

I think that's pretty obvious.

And I think that it should be up to Americans to vote for who will be the next President, and not for us from Europe to debate it to death.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue,  8 Dec  2015, 04:08
No.  Not at all.

I'm stating an honestly held belief that I have expressed elsewhere.  It's just a shame that I have to be conscious of 'offending' some people here.  ::)

And I did state that I wasn't making a judgment one way or another regarding what I thought of Trump's policies, but it doesn't take a genius to see the parallels between Trump's 'Muslim Register' and the X-Men comic-books' 'Mutant Registration Act'.