is it just me

Started by Catwoman, Tue, 2 Apr 2013, 19:58

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Catwoman on Wed,  3 Apr  2013, 00:07no. *throws play-doh at tcb*
Okay, see, once upon a time, it would've been rocks instead of Play-Doh. Maybe you're not as angry at me as you think. I mean, Ral? He's past restraining orders at this point and has outright said he'll open fire if he ever sees me again in this life. Same with TDK, really, except he has a bazooka. But you? Play-Doh.

It's just interesting, that's all I'm saying.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  3 Apr  2013, 00:11
Okay, see, once upon a time, it would've been rocks instead of Play-Doh. Maybe you're not as angry at me as you think. I mean, Ral? He's past restraining orders at this point and has outright said he'll open fire if he ever sees me again in this life. Same with TDK, really, except he has a bazooka. But you? Play-Doh.

*throws the biggest rock she can find*

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed,  3 Apr  2013, 00:13

Too late, it was originally Play-Doh. No trade backs now.

I'm so awesome.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  3 Apr  2013, 00:18
Quote from: Catwoman on Wed,  3 Apr  2013, 00:13

Too late, it was originally Play-Doh. No trade backs now.

I'm so awesome.

i didn't trade back. the play-doh was the warning shot.

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed,  3 Apr  2013, 00:19
i didn't trade back. the play-doh was the warning shot.
That's where we differ. Warning shots are for wimps. I go straight for the kill, blowing the opponent out of the water.

I thought there was a fair amount of marketing for Batman Begins but that's it; I don't recall toy lines for either of the last 2. Also no video games. Nolan seemed to have a specific target market in mind with his film and the children were not one of them.

Quote from: riddler on Wed,  3 Apr  2013, 13:02
I thought there was a fair amount of marketing for Batman Begins but that's it; I don't recall toy lines for either of the last 2. Also no video games. Nolan seemed to have a specific target market in mind with his film and the children were not one of them.
There was actually plans to make a game for the second movie until the whole project was scrapped because the studio went bust. The third movie, as you probably know, had a game on iOS. There was some toylines for the last two movies but as Paul said they were rather cheap.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: riddler on Wed,  3 Apr  2013, 13:02I thought there was a fair amount of marketing for Batman Begins but that's it; I don't recall toy lines for either of the last 2. Also no video games. Nolan seemed to have a specific target market in mind with his film and the children were not one of them.
This is one thing about his films that's always interested me. Movie studios long ago developed all kinds of revenue streams from these types of movies and one huge source obviously is action figures for kids. It blows my mind that this guy with only Batman Begins to his credit (and let's face it, it's not like BB lit the box office on fire) apparently somehow managed to talk WB into writing off what conventional wisdom surely dictated was an indispensable part of their business model. Don't get me wrong, I think I'm as good at spinning a story as the next guy but holy geeze Nolan must be the Zen master of bullsh!+ to waltz in to some boardroom and talk those guys into kissing off millions of dollars. No tie-in videos games, no action figures, no comic adaptations, no 3D conversion... I mean, if TDK had "only" done BB numbers, I have to assume a ton of people would've gotten canned with extreme prejudice. For TDKRises, I'm sure the attitude probably was "right away, Mr. Nolan" but for TDK... I can't otherwise figure out how he did it apart from his being the best con man in the business.

I remember there being quite a bit of merchandising for The Dark Knight. There were action figures and toys in stores, including plastic gauntlets that fired fin guards like in the movie. There were also several picture books aimed at young readers and a Burger King tie-in campaign. This resulted in some parental backlash against the film being marketed towards kids. Once the movie became a critical hit, Warner Bros started promoting it as a prestige film rather than a summer blockbuster.

They did this with The Dark Knight Rises too. I remember being quite disappointed last summer by the lack of  merchandising. I suspect WB was consciously marketing it as a serious prestige film in the hopes it would win loads of awards like Return of the King did in 2003/4. But it obviously backfired on them, because TDKR didn't get a single Academy Award nomination. Heck, even Batman Forever got 3. So WB really shot themselves in the foot with that one. They could have made millions in merchandising if they hadn't been so pretentious.

anyone remember the cereals they did for the burton movies? for '89 it was like cap'n crunch shaped like bats and i think the returns was this chocolate cereal with marshmallows. yummy! and the returns cereal came with like these motion card like things. i had all three :D