Is the 'Marvel Cinematic Universe' franchise the best CBM franchise?

Started by johnnygobbs, Thu, 10 Apr 2014, 20:51

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 23 Apr  2018, 01:42
James Cameron has spoken about the saturation of comic book movies. He's not really the best man to be talking about franchises due to his commitment to several more Avatar films. And I'm not the biggest fan of the guy. But for the purpose this debate, I 100% agree with his opinion.

I catch the bus to work and I've been going past this massive Avengers banner, and I think to myself how embarrassing it all is, and what the older generation think of it. Superheroes aren't embarrassing, but the state of the industry is. It's so predictable and stale. And when a director does something bold and daring like BvS, they get shouted out of town.

This is what modern cinema has become. Constant, and I mean constant, superhero films with the rest of the landscape consisting of reboots and absolutely forgettable 'comedies'. It's not cinema anymore. It's numbing and blah to the point it's all the same, effectively being extended sizzle reels dressed up as art.

Accusing Joel Schumacher of being toyetic seems so tame now.

Something happened to Hollywood and I don't see them getting out of this rut any time soon.

After coming out of seeing Infinity War with a strong sense of disappointment a couple of nights ago, I'm afraid I've lost my interest in the entire MCU. As a matter of fact, my interest in all things comics-related adaptations is at an all-time low.

Aside from Thanos, who was an excellent villain, Infinity War is an absolute load of f***ing rubbish. The only MCU films I'll ever watch again are the older ones I still enjoy. Otherwise, I don't care what happens in the future of the franchise any more.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei