J.K. Simmons is Jim Gordon in Justice League

Started by BatmAngelus, Mon, 7 Mar 2016, 20:18

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 10 Jun  2016, 15:02
Quote from: riddler on Fri, 10 Jun  2016, 13:50
So far JK simmons seems like a real fighter who might actually go toe-to-toe with criminals.

I really doubt Gordon will get a character arc in a Justice League movie, but if he were, I'd like to think he's getting jacked up because it's in retaliation to a Killing Joke-type situation. Determining to make sure what happened to him and Barbara will never occur again. Kind of like how Batman toughened up on his stance on crime in BvS, although not as extreme.

You could be right and I hope you are. It's been established at least one Robin was killed in this universe, what has become of Batgirl? Gordon could be blaming himself taking things into his own hands. In fact if Gordon and Batman are at odds, that could further his motivations to teaming up with other superheroes as he's already lost his sidekick Robin.

JK Simmons getting the Snyder touch equals greatness.

I don't think I can ask for anything more visually. That's Gordon.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  2 Apr  2017, 02:07JK Simmons getting the Snyder touch equals greatness.

I don't think I can ask for anything more visually. That's Gordon.
I rather enjoy this take too. I grew up with Batman comics that showed an elder Gordon. I don't know why he was de-aged like he was. Well, actually I do. But I don't approve is what I'm saying. So this is right in my wheel house of What Gordon Ought To Be. Something tells me Simmons will be great in the role.

Also, I dig the idea of Gordon being older because an older man isn't necessarily as strict and dogmatic as a younger one. I could see a hot-headed young cop resenting Batman and the mere fact of his existence. Maybe he'd act on that and maybe he wouldn't. But the resentment would be very real.

But an older Gordon... yeah, I could picture someone like him tolerating Batman because, in the end, Gotham needs him. There's a holistic wisdom to that which I wouldn't believe from a younger man. But an older man implicitly has it. Considering how destructive Batman has become by BVS, you practically need an older Gordon to be the sage who recognizes that Batman fights fire with fire in a way the GCPD just can't.

In so many ways it's perfect.

We've seen an old Gordon before.  We've seen a tough Gordon before.  We've seen a world-weary Gordon before.  But we haven't seen an old, tough, world-weary, and suitably grizzled Gordon before, so I'm really looking forward to the brilliant JK Simmons take on the character.  He looks like a character out of a 1940s noir, and that's exactly the milieu I always picture when I think of Gotham Police Department.

Here's hoping we eventually get to see the likes of Detectives Bullock, Montoya, and other members of the GPD, as it will be great to see an actor of Simmons' talent interact with those types of characters.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun,  2 Apr  2017, 18:59
But an older Gordon... yeah, I could picture someone like him tolerating Batman because, in the end, Gotham needs him. There's a holistic wisdom to that which I wouldn't believe from a younger man. But an older man implicitly has it. Considering how destructive Batman has become by BVS, you practically need an older Gordon to be the sage who recognizes that Batman fights fire with fire in a way the GCPD just can't.
The older Gordon is great because of what you described. I like this quote from TDK Returns Gordon about Yindel.

"She faces a city of thieves and murderers and honest people too frightened to hope. She faces life and death decisions every hour to come. Some will torture her. She will face a man who is the living spirit of...something we need. She may be his enemy. She may learn from him."

As you said, a younger officer is more likely to resent Batman. Gordon as the older, wiser man *knows* Batman is required.

It's already been established that we have an old Batman so  by default we have to have an old Gordon similar to how Batman Begins had to have Gordon early in his career due to Batman just starting out. Batman 89 is the only film in which Gordon could have been portrayed at a different age.

I think we can assume that at minimum Batgirl/Barbara will be referenced in the film similar to Robin in Batman vs. Superman.