Wonder Woman (2017)

Started by The Joker, Wed, 25 Nov 2015, 16:23

Previous topic - Next topic
While promoting WW84, Patty Jenkins has finally confirmed the first WW film's ending was changed.

The original end of the first movie was also smaller, but the studio made me change it at the last minute. So that's always been a little bit of a bummer that that's the one thing people talk about, because I agreed.

And I told the studio we didn't have time to do it, but it was what it was. I ended up loving it, but that was not the original ending of the movie."

https://www.eaglesvine.com/entertainment/wonder-woman-director-patty-jenkins-reveals-she-was-asked-to-change-the-ending-at-the-last-minute-heres-why/85299/
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Evidently, a certain someone is playing the goddess Asteria in this. Looking very much forward to that particular scene.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 21 Dec  2020, 02:11
Evidently, a certain someone is playing the goddess Asteria in this. Looking very much forward to that particular scene.
You seeing the movie straight away, Joker? I won't be able to, because I have prior commitments. But a week later I'll be taking my seat in the cinema. Been listening to Hans' score in the meantime - really enjoying Open Road and Themyscira particularly.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 22 Dec  2020, 03:15
You seeing the movie straight away, Joker? I won't be able to, because I have prior commitments. But a week later I'll be taking my seat in the cinema. Been listening to Hans' score in the meantime - really enjoying Open Road and Themyscira particularly.

Yeah, man. The current plan is that me and a few friends are going to check it out at the local cinema on Christmas day. Hope to have my thoughts about the movie posted on the forum by the end of the week, but I am well aware of my pattern of belated reviews.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Still would like to know what Diana was doing between the end of World War I and 1984. That's not something you can brush off when you're dealing with an immortal character. She's not exactly keeping a low profile like Wolverine did while she's working for a world renowned museum and showing up to events dressing sexy. At least the TV show kept the whole glasses charade that they decided to toss out the window in the first movie.

Plus it's very confusing with the pre-established continuity of her character in the previous films. I've heard that they're already trying to wipe out Batman v. Superman and Justice League because it largely contradicts what Jenkins wants to do. It also doesn't help that Snyder's Justice League is coming in March.

Well, this is a bit of a bombshell.

Patty Jenkins has been honest in recent "Wonder Woman 1984" interviews about what it's like to clash with a Hollywood studio over a comic book tentpole. The director has detailed battles against Warner Bros. over the original ending to "Wonder Woman" and over the double opening of "Wonder Woman 1984," but Jenkins was at her most candid during her appearance on Marc Maron's "WTF" podcast (via The Playlist). In reflecting on the development of 2017's "Wonder Woman," Jenkins described an "internal war" at Warner Bros., where the studio was apparently less interested in her ideas than in the symbol of a woman director helming a female-fronted superhero movie.

"They wanted to hire me like a beard; they wanted me to walk around on set as a woman, but it was their story and their vision," Jenkins said. "And my ideas? They didn't even want to read my script. There was such mistrust of a different way of doing things and a different point of view."

Jenkins continued, "Even when I first joined 'Wonder Woman' it was like, 'Uhh, yeah, OK, but let's do it this other way.' But I was like, 'Women don't want to see that. Her being harsh and tough and cutting people's heads off... I'm a 'Wonder Woman' fan, that's not what we're looking for.' Still, I could feel that shaky nervousness [on their part] of my point of view."

https://web.archive.org/web/20210104174228if_/https://www.indiewire.com/2021/01/patty-jenkins-war-warner-bros-wonder-woman-mistrust-1234607432/

Earlier today, Zack Snyder was interviewed with the Comic Book Debate YouTube channel, and displayed THIS picture of Wonder Woman holding three severed heads, in the background of his office.

From what I've heard, this picture was meant to take place in the Crimean War. It was used as a placeholder image in BvS until they changed it with that photograph of Diana, Steve Trevor, and the rest of the WWI gang.

Snyder and Jenkins appear to be very supportive and complimentary towards each other in public. But I find it hard to believe that Snyder showing off that picture was a coincidence, going by what Jenkins has been saying about her vision of Wonder Woman.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  5 Jan  2021, 01:34
Well, this is a bit of a bombshell.

Patty Jenkins has been honest in recent "Wonder Woman 1984" interviews about what it's like to clash with a Hollywood studio over a comic book tentpole. The director has detailed battles against Warner Bros. over the original ending to "Wonder Woman" and over the double opening of "Wonder Woman 1984," but Jenkins was at her most candid during her appearance on Marc Maron's "WTF" podcast (via The Playlist). In reflecting on the development of 2017's "Wonder Woman," Jenkins described an "internal war" at Warner Bros., where the studio was apparently less interested in her ideas than in the symbol of a woman director helming a female-fronted superhero movie.

"They wanted to hire me like a beard; they wanted me to walk around on set as a woman, but it was their story and their vision," Jenkins said. "And my ideas? They didn't even want to read my script. There was such mistrust of a different way of doing things and a different point of view."

Jenkins continued, "Even when I first joined 'Wonder Woman' it was like, 'Uhh, yeah, OK, but let's do it this other way.' But I was like, 'Women don't want to see that. Her being harsh and tough and cutting people's heads off... I'm a 'Wonder Woman' fan, that's not what we're looking for.' Still, I could feel that shaky nervousness [on their part] of my point of view."

https://web.archive.org/web/20210104174228if_/https://www.indiewire.com/2021/01/patty-jenkins-war-warner-bros-wonder-woman-mistrust-1234607432/

Earlier today, Zack Snyder was interviewed with the Comic Book Debate YouTube channel, and displayed THIS picture of Wonder Woman holding three severed heads, in the background of his office.

From what I've heard, this picture was meant to take place in the Crimean War. It was used as a placeholder image in BvS until they changed it with that photograph of Diana, Steve Trevor, and the rest of the WWI gang.

Snyder and Jenkins appear to be very supportive and complimentary towards each other in public. But I find it hard to believe that Snyder showing off that picture was a coincidence, going by what Jenkins has been saying about her vision of Wonder Woman.
Patty Jenkins, what a letdown. As I understand the situation, casting Gadot was all Snyder's move and so was the WWI setting of the movie. Basically, Snyder all but giftwrapped a lead and a basic story for Jenkins to play with.

Her move was to eject him and everyone who helped her succeed when the time came for the sequel. The results are spelled out in that movie's critical and box office reception.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue,  5 Jan  2021, 02:44
Patty Jenkins, what a letdown. As I understand the situation, casting Gadot was all Snyder's move and so was the WWI setting of the movie. Basically, Snyder all but giftwrapped a lead and a basic story for Jenkins to play with.

Her move was to eject him and everyone who helped her succeed when the time came for the sequel. The results are spelled out in that movie's critical and box office reception.
Yep. The fan reaction means way more, given the climate the film was released in. She had her vision and it sucked.

No swords in WW84, just the lasso. And swinging around stupidly all the time, encroaching on Spider-Man's turf. That's all I think of when I see it. Along with the Donner worship, get the funk out of here Patty. I'm done with you.

Wonder Woman as a warrior was the right direction, but she obviously wanted Lynda Carter fluff. I believe without doubt WB wanted a token woman helming WW no matter what. Wrong move. They should've hired someone else. I'd clash with her too.

"Women don't want to see that", as if she speaks for all women, and as if women are the only audience for the character. The real WonderGal will be seen in ZSJL, thank you very much, particularly in Steppenwolf's last moments.

If I were the studio and she spoke that way about me, I'd cut her loose yesterday. They're all meant to get together for a third movie after that? Let DisneyWars have her. Another 'the Force is female' blowhard who can denigrate another once loved franchise. 

Here is a better look of the Crimean War photograph.

Patty Jenkins, what a letdown. As I understand the situation, casting Gadot was all Snyder's move.

Yes, that's correct. Gal Gadot even showed her gratitude on social media. As much as most people don't want to admit, Gadot owes her career to Snyder.

While I'm at it, here is a pic of Gadot in costume on the set of BvS.

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1339585725805678594/

Basically, Snyder all but giftwrapped a lead and a basic story for Jenkins to play with.

Snyder was credited for the story in WW2017 along with Jason Fuchs and Allan Heinberg, while Geoff Johns did some uncredited rewrites. Even if Snyder's input within the story was small, his casting of Gadot in the role was influential enough as it is. Nonetheless, and I said this before, the action scenes in that movie had that distinctive Snyderesque slow-motion effect, which was something missing from MOS and BvS. And from what I heard, those scenes were coordinated by his stunt team, and Jenkins decided to replace them for the sequel.

The development for the sequel would've happened in the middle of 2017. That was during the time when Johns was in charge of DC Films and was trying to get rid of all traces of Snyder's influence, starting with JL. My guess is Jenkins thought she had a sure bet with Johns because they both share identical creative sensibilities, i.e. nostalgic take on superheroes.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue,  5 Jan  2021, 07:41My guess is Jenkins thought she had a sure bet with Johns because they both share identical creative sensibilities, i.e. nostalgic take on superheroes.
Could be.

And hell, I'll say that I don't necessarily begrudge a nostalgic angle. If someone came along and made a Superman movie that hit all the same basic tingles as Donner's STM, I'd be fine with that.

What irks me is that the DCEU had an established creative direction and it got derailed because Geoff Johns (and others) didn't get their way. Snyder's films were profitable by any reasonable standard and the future was wide open.

Now, it'll take a miracle for Snyder to be able to pick up where he left off, even if ZSJL goes swimmingly. The critics will go out of their way to roast the movie so literally everything hinges on audience response.