"Fix" the film!

Started by DocLathropBrown, Wed, 17 Jul 2013, 04:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Sat, 20 Jul 2013, 11:49 #20 Last Edit: Sat, 20 Jul 2013, 12:04 by Edd Grayson
Also, they swept under the rug the fact that Batman took the blame for Two-Face's crimes. I would've liked a powerful scene with Gordon and Batman revealing the truth about that night to Gotham.

Quote from: Edd Grayson on Sat, 20 Jul  2013, 11:49
Also, they swept under the rug the fact that Batman took the blame for Two-Face's crimes. I would've liked a powerful scene with Gordon and Batman revealing the truth about that night to Gotham.

Bane revealed the truth about Dent during his speech outside Blackgate Prison.

He did but I wanted Batman and Gordon to do it.

I think this may break the rules of the thread but I'd have removed the whole 'injury' aspect; it creates more plot holes and pointless plot than positive aspects; he showed no signs of injury in the previous film, nor did he show signs of injury once he decided he wanted to become batman again. Also are we to believe all this corruption in gotham shown in the first two films simply evaporated once Dent died and Batman left? I get that Nolan tried to make everything peaceful before Bane showed up but what exactly created all this peace?

I guess to somewhat keep in line with the tone of the film, I'd have had Batman 'retired' for a bit with Bane terrorizing Gotham calling him out. Also I'd have had the Dent murders a topic of debate in Gotham. Everyone just assumes it was all Batman despite there being no evidence.  Gordon could have simply left the scene for someone else to find Dent or even done something with the body. It wasn't well known by the public that Dent survived the attack on the hospital so if he was simply never heard from again, it would have been assumed he died there.

And yeah i'd have done something about both vehicles. I hate that Nolan had too much pride to use a proper batmobile. Similar to how the tank transforms into the bat pod in the previous film, I'd have had his vehicle transform again into a flying object with a better name than 'the bat'

Didn't like the ending either. Why is Nolan so high and mighty that he is the only director allowed to end a superhero's career?

I'd have changed Blake's last name to O'Hara, give a nod to the TV show.

Riddler, I think that the city became so peaceful because The Dent Act was a law passed that made crime illegal.

Seriously. Think about it. That's all it was. Basically The Dent Act is detailed to be a repeal of parole to organized criminals. Keeping them in jail and making them easier to target or something.

So basically, it's a law that made crime a jailable offense.  ::)

Nice to know all Gotham had to do, instead of giving rise to a vigilante, was just be vigilant. Suddenly the 60s Gotham City is looking less inept.   ???
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Sat, 10 Aug  2013, 06:04
Riddler, I think that the city became so peaceful because The Dent Act was a law passed that made crime illegal.

Seriously. Think about it. That's all it was. Basically The Dent Act is detailed to be a repeal of parole to organized criminals. Keeping them in jail and making them easier to target or something.

So basically, it's a law that made crime a jailable offense.  ::)

Nice to know all Gotham had to do, instead of giving rise to a vigilante, was just be vigilant. Suddenly the 60s Gotham City is looking less inept.   ???
Yeah, I like the film but the Dent Act is a ridiculous contrivance.  In my experience, few electorates have to be convinced to push through more draconian, reactionary laws on crime.  Often its much harder to convince the public to go more liberal on the issue of criminal justice.  Why Dent's death had to occur for the city to give its approval to a law that removed parole for any criminal who commits a crime as part of a larger criminal enterprise I don't know: http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Dent_Act?file=The_Harvey_Dent_Act.jpg

But apart from that one aspect of the Dent Act I don't see what else this piece of legislation does.  It all seems to be very vague for filmmakers who supposedly pride themselves on detail.  It also subscribes to the flawed notion that tougher jail sentences, as opposed to more effective detection, result in lower crime rates, but perhaps one shouldn't be surprised in view of how reactionary TDK series is as a whole with its castigation of the 99%, its belief that society's ills can be only be saved by a small, wealthy, patrician elite and its endorsement of extreme surveillance methods as the sonar device Batman uses to defat the Joker (heck, even the bad guy Harvey Dent was seen as a representation of Obama).  In fact, it surprises me that the more conservative members off this forum aren't bigger fans of this post-9/11 Bush era superhero franchise.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I take issue personally with TDKRises for its "rich people are bad" slant... when the film is being made by a bunch of rich people.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton

Quote from: DocLathropBrown on Sun, 11 Aug  2013, 21:23
I take issue personally with TDKRises for its "rich people are bad" slant... when the film is being made by a bunch of rich people.
What's the alternative?  Films that tell us how fantastic rich people are?  Personally I thought that's what 'TDKR' was.  Apart from the one rich guy (Daggett) Bane kills the film seems to be anti-Occupy and pro-the 1%.  Even if Bane's ultimate agenda is nothing like the Occupy Movement's he still uses anti-elitism as a means of achieving his aims and thus the film seems to imply that the Occupy Movement is a false prophet.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Sun, 11 Aug 2013, 22:51 #28 Last Edit: Tue, 13 Aug 2013, 13:01 by Paul (ral)
Since the B&R thread has many people cutting Batgirl and/or Bane from the movie, I think there's a version of this film that cuts Miranda/Talia out entirely. 

This would reduce several problems with the film- the underdeveloped character, the poor representation of the comic book character, the underdeveloped "romance" with her and Bruce, a twist that's a complete repeat of the Ra's al Ghul one in Batman Begins, making Bane seem like a lackey (and from a purist's standpoint, giving Bane's origin to Talia), the random love scene (and the fact she could've easily killed or captured Bruce at Wayne Manor or at any point when they were alone), and, of course, Cotillard's infamous death performance.

Daggett is already used to get in cahoots with Bane and could easily have fulfilled his perfunctory role of getting Bane access to Wayne Enterprises before Bane takes him out. 

And I think the finale could've easily been changed around without her- Batman was already planning war against Bane, so he didn't need the extra motivation of needing to rescue "Miranda" at City Hall on top of it.  Bane could've fulfilled Talia's role of trying to ensure the bomb went off.  All they'd have to do is switch the order of the final scenes, with the big chase scene happening before the Batman-Bane fight.

Bane could take off during the storming of City Hall to get to the bomb.  Batman goes after him.  Then, we could've gotten the BatWING chase against Bane in the Tumblers.  Batman causes Bane to crash.  Batman and Bane then have the rematch we've been waiting for, mano a mano, with the ticking bomb at stake.  Bane gets defeated the way I described earlier, but it's already too late.  The bomb will go off, etc.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Mon, 12 Aug 2013, 01:44 #29 Last Edit: Tue, 13 Aug 2013, 13:06 by Paul (ral)
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Sun, 11 Aug  2013, 22:51Since the B&R thread has many people cutting Batgirl and/or Bane from the movie, I think there's a version of this film that cuts Miranda/Talia out entirely.
I could live with deleting the revelation that she's Talia. I think it'd be easy up to a point to even do it with the existing cut. It'd get tricky after Batman defeats Bane but I think it could be doable.

But a change I'd like is for Bane's name to be switched to Ubu. It wouldn't change much of anything to simply call that character Ubu as nothing in the movie requires him to be Bane but Ubu just might be so determined to see Ra's al-Ghul's plan through (and not much of a creative thinker in his own right) that he'd destroy Gotham even though Gotham had cleaned up its act with the Dent Act that made crime illegal.