Batman Forever: Virtual Workprint

Started by I_Only_Said, Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 17:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Goldsman's comments gives me confidence. Should the Schumacher cut ever see the light of day, I hope we get to see a little bit more than what the Virtual Workprint has shown us, because there is evidence of some footage that has never been seen before.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sat,  1 May  2021, 00:36
Quote from: The Joker on Sat,  1 May  2021, 00:23

"I got to see it recently."

That makes me interested to see if he has a copy, is there Buzz at WB and they watched it to see if it would be worth releasing? Interesting none-the-less and takes me back to the "I've seen the Snydercut" days

Nice fan made poster.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Sat, 7 Aug 2021, 02:18 #84 Last Edit: Mon, 9 Aug 2021, 16:02 by eledoremassis02
For those interested (thanks to BatmanForever1995) the shooting script is out https://drive.google.com/file/d/14J_KaRP1zR3SOoG2us24dsE5z6LkBfor/view

I'm reading it now and some interesting things -

-Batman still "kills" - The thug he holds over the elevator shaft he actually lets falls him fall in the script
-The Batmobile has machine guns
-Two-faces "you're a killer too" line (from a deleted scene) is what starts Batman's flashbacks and nightmares about the Bat and Redbook. Bruce actually watched a video of Two-Face in Arkham where he hallucinated Two-face calling him a Killer as well as calling him Bruce. I think it's this scene

-The drive-up a wall scene appears to of part of a rooftop chase (with suction cup wheels on the Batmobile) that plays similarly to the chase with Freeze in Batman & Robin
-There is a scene showing Alfred buying a Nigma Box
-Two-face is more philosophical/Shakespearean(like in the opening act of the final cut)
-During Bruce's loss, there is a line of Dialogue from Alfred that I hope was filmed
"Bruce. Son. You are a kind man. A strong man. But in truth, you are not the most sane man." - then proceeds with the "you never faced your fear" line from this deleted scene

-Riddler develops an obsession (and possession) with Chase after figuring out Bruce is Batman.
-Riddler uses holograms on Claw Island and the Sonar suit helps Batman see reality when saving Chase and Robin

It does play much darker, but still has some of that camp. Two-Face is more menacing tho can still be a little Jokery (tho I think this was 100% compromised by Tommy Lee Jones spat with Jim Carrey). The scene orders and dreams/flashbacks (like one flashback montage as Batman plummets into the water after escaping the helicopter) do feel quite artsy and are something I would like to see (if edited that way).

Overall, this is a pretty well-rounded film. The Virtual Workprint seems very close (aside from a few sequences and now possible edit choices) so if the Schumacher Cut never see's the light of day I won't be 100% disappointed but there are a few scenes I'd like to see that haven't been released (if filmed).

Also was watching some B-roll on youtube and noticed this shot of what appears to be a workprint (bottom left)

Also of note, this scene happens around the 1:50:51 mark in the finish cut

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Kevin Smith may have fallen off in recent years, but this is a great move. At face value, it'll simply be informative to know all the nitty gritty details. Another effect is that having Kevin Smith signal boost this movement is going to do wonders for getting the word out.

Quote from: eledoremassis02 on Sat, 10 Jun  2023, 23:32
Kevin Smith has seen (and made a copy) of the Workprint and will do a review of it
https://batman-on-film.com/19905/kevin-smith-has-seen-the-batman-forever-schumacher-cut/amp/
Interested to hear what he thinks. At this point, 28 years later, they should just get the film out there. Schumacher is no longer with us, but Kilmer is for the time being. Having him tweet and publicise a release would generate some degree of interest at least in the Batman community. Which, lets it face it, is the great majority of the DC market.

Quote from: Slash Man on Sun, 11 Jun  2023, 02:50Kevin Smith may have fallen off in recent years,

To say the very least. Post-Widow Maker Kevin Smith is more regrettable than Pre-Widow Maker Kevin Smith. That's how it goes sometimes.

Quotebut this is a great move.

Agreed.  8)

QuoteAt face value, it'll simply be informative to know all the nitty gritty details. Another effect is that having Kevin Smith signal boost this movement is going to do wonders for getting the word out.

Yeah, Smith does continue to get notices, and can be a great tool of sorts in getting things the final clearance for the go ahead.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."