Batman Returns was ahead of its time...

Started by MrJoker, Fri, 27 Nov 2009, 03:09

Previous topic - Next topic
I really have come to believe that Batman Returns was way ahead of its time. I remember being 10 at the time of release and just thinking how cool it was and how bizzare.... I recall some critics bashing it saying it was to dark and soccer moms saying it gave their children nighmares. At the time when I was a little kid I remember it just ignited my interest in Batman and Tim Burton films. I wasn't scared at all. I has a blast at the theatre and saw it several times, not to mention accumulating a room stocked to the ceiling with Batman products. I just watch how The Dark Knight played out it theatre's, making so much money and being cheered on by the critics and thinking that's the same kinda stuff they did in 92' and got jeered for it.......go figure :P

Yes, most good movies stand the test of time.  I personally dont think the nolan franchise is going to last the test of time because I think it is a little too unforgettable.  Thats the sign of a good movie.  And as far as your interest when you were a kid, it shows you how much most kids are shallow these days.  You probably were one of the only people who actually understood where the movie was going and what the whole string of plot was about.  Anyways, it really is a good movie and I think people will come back to these movies after the nolan franchise dies down.  The critics cheer what they understand.....

Batman Returns was really just a sad complex love story. I remember Michellle Phiffer said something to the effect at the time that if they all would have just gotten therapy things would have been different. Batman wouldn't feel the need to dress up and fight and Selena wouldn't feel the need to put on a Catwoman costume to fight against the whole world because she hurts inside so much.... :)

Quote from: burtongenius on Sat, 28 Nov  2009, 01:49
And as far as your interest when you were a kid, it shows you how much most kids are shallow these days.
Dude, lighten UP! I don't expect some 9 year old to watch a movie and start breaking down symbolism or understanding the intricacies of lighting or what have you. Cripes, one big reason I dug on BR as a wee ol' laddie is because Batman kicked the snot out of a lot of bad guys. Back then, Burton could've made a movie that was literally two hours of nothing but Batman beating the holy $#!+ out of everybody and I would've screamed for another helping.

And hell, it's not like that's changed too much. One reason I came out of the midnight TDK premiere liking the movie so much was the simply unprecedented amount of ass Batman kicked in that film.

It's okay to like a movie simply because it has some cool stuff in it.

QuoteYou probably were one of the only people who actually understood where the movie was going and what the whole string of plot was about.
I sure as hell didn't. All I knew was that Batman got into some fights, we saw the bat signal a couple of times, Alfred pimped in and made a couple of one-liners, the Penguin had a nasty plan to take over the city (or destroy it, y'know, which ever) and Catwoman looked yummy yum yum in that tight suit of hers. Hell, I was probably 23 or 24 before I could really appreciate the richness of what Burton gave us in BR.

QuoteAnyways, it really is a good movie and I think people will come back to these movies after the nolan franchise dies down. The critics cheer what they understand.....
The Nolan franchise is too new to rate. I don't think BB has aged particularly well but TDK has a lot of strength going for it as popcorn entertainment. When the kids of today get older, we'll see what they think.

Sun, 29 Nov 2009, 01:50 #4 Last Edit: Sun, 29 Nov 2009, 17:41 by burtongenius
Theirs nothing wrong with watching a movie for some great action!  All I'm saying is that people realize, no matter how young (hopefully not below 9) that they are watching a super hero film and that the hero and all his fighting stand for something.  Once you understand that the plot unfolds itself.  If you want just regular punch and kick watch a karate movie or something.

Exactly!, I've always found it interesting to study the symbolism of the characters, good vs evil etc....I've always noticed in Batman Returns the anti big business themes, like with Shrek and Chip and that power can corrupt. :)

Quote from: MrJoker on Sun, 29 Nov  2009, 03:13
Exactly!, I've always found it interesting to study the symbolism of the characters, good vs evil etc....I've always noticed in Batman Returns the anti big business themes, like with Shrek and Chip and that power can corrupt. :)

Definitely Mr Joker.  That's what I really dig about Returns, the sub-text themes, like the aforementioned indictment of big business.  The characters are larger than life in the same way that German Expressionist characters might be.  They work on their own terms, but they also act as specific symbols of various aspects of American society in this case.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Is Max Shreck essentially Rupert Thorne?

Selina Kyle- Aren't you tired of the robber barons getting all the goods when they should be six feet under?"  ;D

Quote from: batass4880 on Sun, 29 Nov  2009, 03:49
Is Max Shreck essentially Rupert Thorne?

no the dagget guy was who max was going to be in the cartoon.