Batman Set visit - early 1989

Started by markrjones1970, Fri, 21 Dec 2012, 20:22

Previous topic - Next topic
I think the photos can also give us an idea of the shooting schedule, maybe.

Mark, where was the "Joker" shaped hole in the ground? Anywhere near the cathedral steps?

Sun, 23 Dec 2012, 01:05 #21 Last Edit: Sun, 23 Dec 2012, 01:15 by markrjones1970
Yes it was, in front of the big door. You can see too that they had started to give the Flugelheim Museum a fresh layer of paint. We were told by the other bloke there, seen in some of my pics taking photos, that they were cleaning up the set in preparation for the next film.

I just found those set pics taken when there was loads of people visiting from a James Bond convention. These were taken a while after mine as the set is in serious disrepair. You can see piles of people though at the entrance of the cathedral, I'm guessing they've seen the film and are all taking it in turns to lay in the inprint where the Joker lay and having their photos taken.

This has made my evening.  :o  :D

Looking at these pictures... whoever says any movie other than B'89 had the "best Gotham" doesn't know what they're talking about.

Quote from: funzi159 on Sat, 22 Dec  2012, 12:54
I found that video by chance many months ago and then didn't see it again!! I have to look for it!! Concerning the statue, what I guess is that there was a different script among the many options where the Joker might have replaced the monument in Gotham Square!! If you notice, it's in the very same position as the statue in the middle of the square!! Perhaps, during the celebration of Gotham's 200 Anniversary, Joker wanted to take over the city by replacing the statue with his own, but director and producers finally opted for a different evolution of the story!! It's my theory, and I think it's plausible!! :)

This is very true. 

In the shooting script online, there was to be a confrontation between Batman and Joker right after Joker shoots Batman in Vicki's apartment:
QuoteEXT. CENTRAL SQUARE (GOTHAM CITY) - DAY

The square where the unveiling is taking place, has been
closed to traffic.  There are barricades at the entrance
streets.

A temporary stage has been erected around a shrouded
statue on one side of the square.  A SMALL CROWD is
gathered.

OFF TO ONE SIDE - POLICEMAN

crouches in the grass.  TWO PEOPLE try to help him.

CLOSER ON POLICEMAN

He struggles to move his head to look up.  WE SEE:  his
face is contorting into a smile.

BACK AT STAGE

A Junior high school BAND is playing the "Happy Birthday"
theme.

MAYOR
      (gushing)
   Happy birthday, Gotham City!  You
   know every city has a father and
   no one could have been a better
   father than John T. Gotham.

The van ENTERS the square and stops.  Joker, flanked by
armed GOONS, gets out, Vicki is pulled along with him.

Joker pushes through the crowd at the bottom of the steps
leading up to the stage.

MAYOR
   I dedicate the statue of a man
   who embodies the past, present,
   and future of our great city.

Mayor pulls a cord and drops the shroud around the statue
revealing:  Not John T. Gotham.  But:

A GARISH, POLYCHROME STATUE OF THE JOKER wielding two Uzi
machine guns like they were six-shooters.  Expressionism
on acid.
http://sfy.ru/?script=batman_production
Joker would then appear, only to get stopped by Batman again.

They may have changed this later, though, to Joker putting up the statue during the parade, which would've made more sense with the scenes they shot for the film.

Still, I had no idea that they actually built the Joker statue!
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Unbelievable. Batman had one of the greatest sets of all time, in my opinion, so you can imagine my (and others') excitement at seeing these for the first time.

In addition to seeing different shots of the city, we have various behind-the-scenes facts as well, the whole Joker statue and the set recycling. I assume it was for the first draft of 'Batman 2' by Sam Hamm. Either way, 'Returns' would have been out of this world with the original Gotham city set (or at least the belltower) in the winter. Also, it seems like the Joker statue is a little broken. Might that have explained the cut scene?

It's also interesting to see that you worked in the computer game industry at such a time period. Have any interesting stories to share about that? I know that Batman on Amiga was probably in production at that time.

I've been interviewed many times about my time making games. One of the best and most fun interviews I did is here:
http://zxspectrumgames.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/spectrum-games-programmer-interview.html?m=1

Can u say "epic"? WOW! To be in your shoes visiting the set. This is one for the archives. Wonderful pics of one of the best movie sets ever and will ever be made!!!! 8)

wooow... just...wow

Thanks for sharing!!

This is stunning! Amazing photos!

I'd kill to see that set of photos from the third visit. Too bad they've never surfaced.