USTREAM Live game play of Sega Genisis Batman games now

Started by eledoremassis02, Sat, 15 Jun 2013, 00:50

Previous topic - Next topic
Just did Batman 89 (got up to the batwing boss) Now we are on Returns :D

You can watch here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/retro-games-tv

Love this game so much... This is my favourite Batman game. I like it more than the B'89 Arcade game by Atari, the much more popular Batman Returns/SNES, or even modern classics like Lego Batman and Arkham (yes, I like an old 16-bitter more than Arkham).

It's so simple, one of the earliest 16-bit titles and it shows, but it looked great in its time, it made the best of the Mega Drive's limited colour palette (just 512 colours to choose from, with no more than 64 on screen), and somehow captured the feeling of playing in the movie.

Even though none of the movie's themes appear (there are hints here and there, though, like the intro or Prince's "Scandalous" in the end credits), it still has some of the best chiptunes ever heard on a 16-bit cartridge... Good old Sunsoft...

I remember that I had a copy of the Sega Genesis game based on '89, it really copied the feel and look of the film.

I loved the Batmobile stage the most! ;D Playing that stage where you get the blow up Joker goon cars with rocket launchers and machine guns as you race through downtown Gotham gave me false memories of that actually happening in the film at one stage, ha! I loved how when you faced Napier in the chemical factory how realistic it looked if you dropped dead into the chemical waste too. I wished that the Batwing stage was as fun as the Batmobile's though. I used to just fly towards the bottom of the screen and keep dying until I slowly get by killing everyone else, gave me a lot of grief that stage.

The Batman Returns Genesis game didn't impress that much, too hard to play and too dull. Never got to complete it. The SNES version kept the likeness of the film closer and was more fun to play.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Fri, 21 Jun  2013, 17:04
I remember that I had a copy of the Sega Genesis game based on '89, it really copied the feel and look of the film.

I loved the Batmobile stage the most! ;D Playing that stage where you get the blow up Joker goon cars with rocket launchers and machine guns as you race through downtown Gotham gave me false memories of that actually happening in the film at one stage, ha! I loved how when you faced Napier in the chemical factory how realistic it looked if you dropped dead into the chemical waste too. I wished that the Batwing stage was as fun as the Batmobile's though. I used to just fly towards the bottom of the screen and keep dying until I slowly get by killing everyone else, gave me a lot of grief that stage.

There's quite a few other games besides Batman that I have played as a kid and which I have associated with their movie to the point of giving me false memories. Aladdin wielding a scimitar, Grant shooting raptors, Simba killing hyenas, Indy beating up German soldiers in the Zeppelin.. So the Batmobile shooting Jokermobiles isn't too much, lol.

When us 8/16-bit gamers were little playing those games, it was the early-to-mid 90s when DVDs / BluRays / Youtube and the luxury of watching any movie at your whim was an age undreamed of. There was only the family VHS which we had limited access to, and videotapes, which weren't known for their durability. A few rewinds to watch that favourite scene over and over and the tape was "eaten".

So, playing the game on a console or home computer felt almost as good as watching the movie, and many a gamer that had an NES with Batman can attest to that. It's just fortunate that Batman (alongside others like Aladdin, Lion King, Jurassic Park, stuff by Lucasarts etc.) happened to be of the few good games amongst piles of movie/comics-licenced krap published by the likes of Akklaim/LJN.