Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reboot

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 18 Mar 2012, 15:55

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 12 Mar  2013, 03:57
And yes, that poster was freaking awesome.

Couldn't agree more.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

That's how you do a film poster. "This aint no cartoon!"  ;D Ah how excited I was when seeing this at the time. I like how the "Super Mario Bros" movie later stole this very tagline for itself later on lol

When I walking round New York's Times Square with my family there were plenty of manhole's just like this (some even emitting plumes of smoke) it reminded me so much of the Turtles movies and cartoons I half expected to see Raphael peeking out from the shadows lol

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 12 Mar  2013, 21:59Couldn't agree more.

What made the poster work for me was how it showed very little but at the same time gave you more than enough about the movie. The cranky old man in me feels like making a good movie poster is a lost art these days.

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Tue, 12 Mar  2013, 23:18
When I walking round New York's Times Square with my family there were plenty of manhole's just like this (some even emitting plumes of smoke) it reminded me so much of the Turtles movies and cartoons I half expected to see Raphael peeking out from the shadows lol

:D

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed, 13 Mar  2013, 03:04
What made the poster work for me was how it showed very little but at the same time gave you more than enough about the movie. The cranky old man in me feels like making a good movie poster is a lost art these days.

Yes, that 'less is more' approach works beautifully when properly executed. I feel the same way about the Batman 1989 poster. It's a simple image of the Bat symbol with the classic oval, but at the same time, it didn't hark back or make one think of the Adam West Batman series. Rather, it provoked the notion that this was something fresh, something different, something more darker in tone, and last but not least, something to anticipate.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

to me the greatest poster is returns with the snowy bat symbol. it's beautiful but kind of somber and quiet and even sad almost. like this is a movie that won't have a happy ending.

does that make sense? :-[

Quote from: Catwoman on Wed, 13 Mar  2013, 16:09to me the greatest poster is returns with the snowy bat symbol. it's beautiful but kind of somber and quiet and even sad almost. like this is a movie that won't have a happy ending.

Yep but to me what makes it work is how it's parasitic of the B89 poster. The snowy bat symbol image only really makes sense if you have an awareness of the previous poster.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 14 Mar  2013, 00:31
Quote from: Catwoman on Wed, 13 Mar  2013, 16:09to me the greatest poster is returns with the snowy bat symbol. it's beautiful but kind of somber and quiet and even sad almost. like this is a movie that won't have a happy ending.

Yep but to me what makes it work is how it's parasitic of the B89 poster. The snowy bat symbol image only really makes sense if you have an awareness of the previous poster.

huh? :-[

Quote from: Catwoman on Thu, 14 Mar  2013, 17:56huh? :-[

This marketing concept...

... doesn't work well (or at all) unless you're familiar with this marketing concept...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-adds-william-fichtner/

'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Adds William Fichtner to the cast

Soo ... William Fichtner joins the cast of TMNT 2014, and there's alot of speculation that he'll be playing the Shredder. Personally, I think he's far better suited for another character that's NOT Shredder, but we'll see. Definately keeping an eye out on this.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Thu, 14 Mar  2013, 00:31

Exactly. It's a perfect contrast when you look at them side by side. B89 - glorious and triumphant. BR - bleak and cold. If I saw this poster in 92 without having seen a trailer, I'd definitely be thinking this is going to be a whole different ride.

But hey, this was back in an era where posters were decent. Now they are absolutely terrible cut and paste grabs from the trailers. Lazy and cheap looking. Nothing worthy of being hung on a wall. Which is a shame, because good movies deserve better.