Joker (2019)

Started by Wayne49, Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic

There's a number of ways this could work, and I'm pretty open to making Lady Gaga's Harley distinctly different from Margot Robbie's DCEU Harley Quinn. Whether that be as her being portrayed as a rather low key psychiatrist, and slowly over the course of the film, realizing that she has a 'Mad Love' for Arthur (where both are shown to be rather unreliable narrator's in their perceptions of one another), an imaginary muse (which can lean heavily into some very surreal sequences ... also comedic if they are inclined), or maybe even as a cunning and disingenuous manipulator that's exploiting Arthur due to his now-notorious reputation in infamy (especially after basically having murdered a Johnny Carson-like figure right on the set).

Lot's of possibilities here.

I've never seen "American Horror Story: Hotel", but I have seen Lady Gaga in "A Star is Born", and she was fine in that. Not a movie I would rewatch a whole hell of a lot to be honest, but it's not a bad movie by any means, and I don't recall Gaga herself being horrible in it whatsoever. She held her own with Bradley Cooper.

With the musical aspect being considered, I'm imagining there might be a scene similar to Paul Thomas Anderson's "Magnolia", where we'll have Arthur and Harleen singing along to a song even though they are in completely different locations (ala the Aimee Mann "Wise Up" sing along sequence from Magnolia). Could be way off on that, but it's a thought I had after finding out about the musical deal.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Apparently the script has leaked and it turns out Gaga isn't playing Harley Quinn, she's playing some other deranged character that gets involved with Fleck as a 'Tom and Jerry' kind of relationship after he escapes. The 'musical' portion of the film involves a rape scene because the gist of the film is that it's going to be ripping off A Clockwork Orange as opposed to ripping off Taxi Driver and the King of Comedy.

Wed, 13 Jul 2022, 14:00 #232 Last Edit: Wed, 13 Jul 2022, 14:53 by thecolorsblend
At this moment, I'm experiencing a strange mixture of reactions. Hope that this is true, relief that the sequel might go in a positive direction and minor annoyance that the spoiler text wasn't colored white.

Ditto. I did my own research and if the leak is true, we're looking at a severe escalation in the depiction of violence. Decapitations, castrations and torture. If that's the case we'd be getting a fully fledged Joker in terms of embracing his new identity. I can see Phoenix being terrifying with that type of off the chain portrayal.

This whole premise makes me think of the Mark Hamill Trickster from 90's Flash.

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed, 13 Jul  2022, 13:42
Apparently the script has leaked and it turns out Gaga isn't playing Harley Quinn, she's playing some other deranged character that gets involved with Fleck as a 'Tom and Jerry' kind of relationship after he escapes. The 'musical' portion of the film involves a rape scene because the gist of the film is that it's going to be ripping off A Clockwork Orange as opposed to ripping off Taxi Driver and the King of Comedy.

How's the credibility of the source?

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 13 Jul  2022, 21:25
Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed, 13 Jul  2022, 13:42

How's the credibility of the source?
Better than Giant Robot, which is why I went ahead and posted it. My feeling is that this is probably real.

I could be completely wrong but it could be possible that Gaga may not be called Harley but it's still the Phillips version of the character, just as Joker is called Arthur Fleck. I'm curious about what this possible leak says about the ending not allowing much possibility for a third movie. Arthur dies?

Quote from: Gotham Knight on Wed, 13 Jul  2022, 21:42
Better than Giant Robot, which is why I went ahead and posted it. My feeling is that this is probably real.

Hmmm. Well, admittedly, I was kinda into the idea of Gaga playing a different Harley Quinn. Mainly due to how Phillips could really play with the relationship between the two. Especially in terms of both of their agendas with one another, the mental/physical abuse (like really lean into that), and the pair possibly reaching a 'tragically doomed' and 'realistically probable' resolution if Arthur Fleck/Joker decides he'd rather be a solo act. Reestablishing that unpredictable wild card aspect of the Joker's character, and leaving audiences agasp at just how especially heinous Phoenix's Joker can be at a mere moments notice (ala Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer).

If it's just a whomever, you kinda lose some of that emotional investment some of the general audience might have due to everyone basically being aware of the couple, and where one definitively killing the other wouldn't be as shocking perhaps, but apparently the supposed script's intentions lies elsewhere with Phoenix/Gaga being more Tom and Jerry. We'll see.

We have a release date of October 4, 2024. I hope this actually happens.

https://deadline.com/2022/08/joker-2-release-date-1235084541/