Are you a fan of the dark & eerie vibe and the depressing look of Batman Returns

Started by Jack Napier, Mon, 1 Sep 2008, 21:27

Previous topic - Next topic
I love Returns, the whole feel of it is just great, definitely a great Christmas Eve movie, that along with Die Hard and Die Hard 2, just described my Christmas Eve this year ;D

Nothing says Christmas better than a children killing deformed man from the sewers, a guy dressed as a bat and an S&M mistress  ;)

I agree, I love watching Batman Returns in winter, and around christmas!!

Quote from: GothamAlleys on Tue, 28 Sep  2010, 09:59
Nothing says Christmas better than a children killing deformed man from the sewers, a guy dressed as a bat and an S&M mistress  ;)

exactly

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Tue,  2 Sep  2008, 08:06
When B89 was released Tim said the following about a possible sequel (Returns)

"And the only thing to do is to make the sequel unbelievable, and take it to the next level - I think it must get weirder before it gets anything else. "

From here: http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/articles.php?showarticle=43

And Burton said that at the time of B89's release???

As for the topic, this "eerie vibe" and the macabre style have always been my favorite things about BR (or Batman - the character - in general).

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun, 10 Oct  2010, 13:17
As for the topic, this "eerie vibe" and the macabre style have always been my favorite things about BR (or Batman - the character - in general).
Agreed. Minus Batman in the Nolan films and you basically have an episode of Law & Order. And the very existence of Batman in the real world utterly destroys the "realism" illusion anyway. What I like about Burton is that he employed a very stylized setting for Gotham City. It's natural to see Batman in a place like that because he fits in it. It feels like a place where you'd find Batman. Nolan's world is basically Chicago.

Nolan's Gotham in Begins was pretty good though I thought. But in terms of actual style and atmosphere nothing can beat Returns.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun, 24 Oct  2010, 09:31
Quote from: SilentEnigma on Sun, 10 Oct  2010, 13:17
Nolan's world is basically Chicago.

While that's certainly true of DK, I'd suggest rewatching the BB scenes where Batman is in the narrows. The streets may not have the gothic architecture of '89 but they certainly are stylized enough to place the viewer in Gotham.