Which franchise was most similar to BTAS?

Started by phantom stranger, Tue, 18 May 2010, 00:50

Previous topic - Next topic
So a little while back I read an interview with Kevin Conroy in which he mentioned that he thought the Nolanverse was more similar to BTAS. It got me thinking...

Burton:

Obviously, BTAS was inspired by his films. So clearly there are a lot of similarities including:

-- Danny Elfman/Shirley Walker music
-- Dark, gothic-looking city
-- Joker is more "colorful" and big on gags (as opposed to Ledger's take)
-- Both the Batmobile and Batwing are very similar-looking to their movie counterparts

Nolan:

While stylistically Nolan's films are nothing like BTAS, there are a number of story elements which match more than Burton's films:

-- Batman works closely with Gordon
-- Bruce is a playboy, as opposed to a brooding loner
-- Wayne Enterprises plays a large role in his movies, as it did in many of the BTAS episodes

The Joker has black circles around his eyes in both the animated series and the Dark Knight. In the film Joker has different sob stories to gain sympathy, just like the Mad Love comic and episode.

Harvey's disfigurement doesn't happen in court, but at a warehouse or factory of some kind.

Penquin is definitely more like the Burton verse.

The overall style of the show is more Burton than Nolan in my opinion though.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

Quote from: gordonblu on Tue, 18 May  2010, 03:52
The overall style of the show is more Burton than Nolan in my opinion though.

Agreed.

Another aspect to consider is Gotham City.

In the Burton films, Gotham City is timeless. As it was brilliantly visualized onscreen (especially in Batman) as a decidedly retrofuture netherworld. Part negative nostalgia, part contemporary commentary, and part sci-fi dystopia. Which, I might add, does not lend itself to any specific timeline. Which is very similar to TAS approach as there was a obvious intent on not pinpointing the exact year or decade. As most of the fashion resembled the 1940s/1950s, along with the vehicles, but with more modern technology such as computers being present.

Nolan's Gotham feels and looks like a modern day Chicago. And for good reason.  ;)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: phantom stranger on Tue, 18 May  2010, 00:50
So a little while back I read an interview with Kevin Conroy in which he mentioned that he thought the Nolanverse was more similar to BTAS. It got me thinking...

I love B:TAS with a passion and Conroy's contribution can not be overstated however, dare I say it but the guy does strike me as a bit of a jerk.  I recall him berating Batman Returns in an interview for the magazine 'Film Review's' Batman Special issue (coinciding with the release of Forever), and the aformentioned comment suggests he doesn't have much time for the Burton franchise. 

How he can possibly argue that Nolan's series is closer in spirit, tone or look to B:TAS than Burton's series I don't know...I can't help thinking that this is simply bandwagon jumping. 
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Can't find the interview but it was more of a throwaway remark if I remember correctly.

Lest anyone think he prefers Nolan...

http://screenrant.com/kevin-conroy-calls-christian-bale-batman-voice-mikee-54681/

Burton is the clear inspiration. And that's that.

The series was built on the B89 model. Art deco, pulp stylised gangsters, a gothic and eerie score, etc, etc. The audience were primed by the atmosphere and darker undertones of Burton's films when it came time to do BTAS.

BB and TDK feature electro junk. Architecturally, Gotham is Chicago and fantastical design is outlawed. Nolan's Gotham is merely background. In Burton's films, it's a character.

However, in terms of characterisation of Batman and Gordon, I say it's more in line with Nolan. But The Joker and so on, I clearly see a Nicholson Joker.

In general, I'd say that the Burton films inspired the look and feel of BTAS, which, in turn, inspired some of the plot points of Nolan's films (Begins moreso than TDK, i.e. Scarecrow dumping toxin into the water supply below Arkham, Batman appearing as a demonic bat to the infected Scarecrow- "Taste of your own medicine").

BTAS, meanwhile, had a dose of Burton's take in their versions of Joker, Catwoman, and Penguin.  Joker was Jack Napier, Catwoman was blonde, and Penguin's design is pretty close to a sketch that Bruce Timm made of Danny Devito's Penguin, according to the Batman Animated book.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...