The Birth of Batman

Started by Catwoman, Mon, 14 Sep 2015, 02:20

Previous topic - Next topic
Ok, so, I love Batman music. Who doesn't? I think everyone can agree that the music has always been such a huge part of the Bat. You can take a piece of a score or whatever, close your eyes and listen to it, and either visualize the scene it's from or make your very own adventure to go with it. Now idk about you boys but the best Bat composer ever for me is Shirley Walker. Her music for the animated series was THE BEST. Her Batman theme was especially amazing and heroic and I loved when they used it for the intro when they changed it to "The Adventures of Batman and Robin." That's my fav piece by her, and the score for Mask of the Phantasm probably used it the best.

One part though, from the flashback scene where he proposes to Andrea, then she breaks it off leaving Bruce heartbroken and basically "ending" Bruce Wayne and beginning Batman, is probably the most epic ever. It is beautiful and sweet at the parts where he's proposed, beautiful and sad when he reads her letter (the twinkling part always gets to me), and then where he is putting on the costume for the first time is just....yea.

Here's an idea, how about I shut up about it and yall just listen, k? K. :)

Danny Elfman and Shirley Walker are by far the best Batman composers. Besides, the two collaborated together for a little bit during the production of B89's score. I think Walker was co-credited for conducting the closing credits. We were very lucky that BTAS and Walker's music continued on that noir-gothic vibe once Burton ended his run.

In my opinion, MOTP has the best screen origin story for Batman. We get introduced to Bruce dedicating his free time to become this hardened crime-fighter who is only one idea away from becoming a symbol to terrify crooks...until he encounters something that he never expected - he falls in love. I think this is a fresh take on Bruce's backstory, as it asks what could've happened if he met someone that could fill that empty void in his life. He begs to his parents' graves to give him a sign for a chance of happiness with Andrea, as he feels guilty to consider breaking the promise he made to them after they were murdered. And just as though he looks ready to move on him with his planned engagement to Andrea, she escapes Gotham because of the mob going after her and her father. Unbeknownst to Bruce over why she left, and having nothing else left to look forward to after this heartbreak, he fulfills his destiny to become Batman. After everything I described here, you'd be hard-pressed to not sympathise with Andrea when she told Batman the mob took everything she loved away from her.

Another thing I like about MOTP's backstory - Bruce figures out that he needs crooks to be afraid of him, and he says the word 'fear' only once. If this was Batman Begins, that word would be often repeated for about thirty times!
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Mon, 14 Sep 2015, 14:07 #2 Last Edit: Mon, 14 Sep 2015, 14:15 by Dagenspear
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 14 Sep  2015, 11:44
Danny Elfman and Shirley Walker are by far the best Batman composers. Besides, the two collaborated together for a little bit during the production of B89's score. I think Walker was co-credited for conducting the closing credits. We were very lucky that BTAS and Walker's music continued on that noir-gothic vibe once Burton ended his run.

In my opinion, MOTP has the best screen origin story for Batman. We get introduced to Bruce dedicating his free time to become this hardened crime-fighter who is only one idea away from becoming a symbol to terrify crooks...until he encounters something that he never expected - he falls in love. I think this is a fresh take on Bruce's backstory, as it asks what could've happened if he met someone that could fill that empty void in his life. He begs to his parents' graves to give him a sign for a chance of happiness with Andrea, as he feels guilty to consider breaking the promise he made to them after they were murdered. And just as though he looks ready to move on him with his planned engagement to Andrea, she escapes Gotham because of the mob going after her and her father. Unbeknownst to Bruce over why she left, and having nothing else left to look forward to after this heartbreak, he fulfills his destiny to become Batman. After everything I described here, you'd be hard-pressed to not sympathise with Andrea when she told Batman the mob took everything she loved away from her.

Another thing I like about MOTP's backstory - Bruce figures out that he needs crooks to be afraid of him, and he says the word 'fear' only once. If this was Batman Begins, that word would be often repeated for about thirty times!
It is the theme. I feel bad for Andrea I do and it's not like she's completely fully pure evil, but she comes pretty close and becomes pretty hard to sympathize with the moment she abandons Bruce to a burning exploding fiery death to get revenge on the joker. I don't think Andrea and Bruce would've lasted. Bruce knew deep down that batman was his destiny. While even in a relationship with Andrea he still couldn't not want to help.

God bless you! God bless everyone in your life!