Comic Creators Comment on Batman Movies

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 16 Aug 2013, 19:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 27 Jan  2014, 04:36
In terms of a straight up 'Batman' movie, B89 is where it's at. Though lately I've had a longing feeling. The best Batman movie has yet to be made. Something like the Arkhamverse in live action would be the bees knees.
I agree with almost all those sentiments although I'm ambivalent about the Arkhamverse.  I'd prefer to see a live-action version of Batman: The Animated Series.  Also, don't you think the Arkhamverse cockney version of the Penguin is terrible?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Mon, 27 Jan 2014, 13:48 #51 Last Edit: Mon, 27 Jan 2014, 13:50 by The Dark Knight
I like BTAS like all Batman fans. It's great, excellent, fantastic and all the other superlatives you can throw at it. But the Arkhamverse has an added 'dark' oomph for my money. It's a nice blend of the best of Burton and Nolan, and is very now.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Mon, 27 Jan  2014, 13:03
Also, don't you think the Arkhamverse cockney version of the Penguin is terrible?
No, it's one of my favourite incarnations, along with BR and BTAS. I like Pain and Prejudice too. Arkham Penguin is crude and cruel. Telling Batman and Catwoman to "piss off" and calling Batman and "wanker". People either love or hate the voice, but they've made something unique and instantly recognisable.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Mon, 27 Jan  2014, 02:13
Jason Fabok (artist) just posted:

"Rewatched Batman 1989 today. As I watched it, I realized it is the most influential vision of Batman on my art and work in general. It was the movie that helped me discover Batman and later a love for comic books. Such great design and art direction as well."

Great quote! I'm looking forward to seeing Fabok's work on Batman: Eternal. The teaser art was terrific. I just checked his Twitter page and he's made some other comments about the 1989 film in the past few days.

QuoteI find that "Batman '89" really picks up from the museum scene onward. Near perfection. Still love this movie after all these years.
https://twitter.com/JasonFabok/status/427511681862733824

QuoteI wish I could find some Batman 89 suit concept designs. I'd love to see the evolution of the design.
https://twitter.com/JasonFabok/status/427608110153228288

I particularly like that "near perfection" part. :) Think we can help him out with the costume concept designs?

QuoteDoes anyone think it would be worth having separate threads for comic creators' comments on Schumacher and Nolan?
I'd love to gather comments, in general, from these guys on any of the adaptations.  This thread can either be retitled for us to gather all comments or we can split them up into different threads.
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

I haven't gathered any quotes regarding Schumacher and Nolan's films. I'd imagine the comic creators' responses would follow the general consensus: i.e. Schumacher bad, Nolan good. But you never know, there might be some interesting opinions out there. If there are any interesting quotes, we could just add them to this thread for now. If we get enough of them, I'll change the thread title and edit the original post to include all the new additions.

It would be nice if there were some Schumacher fans in the comic business, but I don't think it's too likely.

I spoke to one artist well known for his Batman work (I won't mention his name since it was a candid conversation) but he didn't like the approach Nolan took.

Quote from: Paul (ral) on Wed, 29 Jan  2014, 22:52
I spoke to one artist well known for his Batman work (I won't mention his name since it was a candid conversation) but he didn't like the approach Nolan took.
And if you did mention his name he'd no doubt be subjected to the typical abuse anyone who dares question Nolan's movies usually faces.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Fri, 31 Jan 2014, 01:54 #57 Last Edit: Fri, 31 Jan 2014, 01:56 by Nycteris
QuoteWhat do you think of Hans Zimmer's Batman scores?
I think he did a fantastic job. What Nolan did was great and really took it into a whole different realm. After Tim, those films were really a mess. When I heard they were reviving the franchise I was like, 'Oh god, really? Can they get even more ridiculous now?' And instead it was the opposite, which was really smart.

Danny Elfman - EmpireOnline (2013)

(I know this is primarily for comic creators, but I don't know where else I could post this)

I was viewing some scans from Comics Scene #6 that Nycteris uploaded to the gallery, and they contain some quotes from Bob Kane concerning the 1989 Batman film.

On Burton's approach:

Quote"It's the definitive Batman that Bill Finger wrote at the beginning, and more so. Batman was a little naive at the beginning, but now he has dramatic, psychological overtones. Bruce Wayne is a real three-dimensional character. He broods. He has migraines. He's not a cardboard cutout like the TV show or the comic book."

On Gotham City:

Quote"It isn't like the New York of today. It's timeless. It's a combination of the 40's and the year 2000. It reminded me of the main streets of New York when I was a kid growing up there, but it also has a little bit of a futuristic Fritz Lang look. Hopefully, there will be a couple of sequels so it will never be outdated."

On the Batmobile:

Quote"It's a big, black threatening vehicle. I made some original designs. Mine were more like the comic book's with the bat hood. They thought that was probably too cartoony. But this one is just awesome. There's just no other word to describe it."

On Michael Keaton:

Quote"Michael Keaton is going to knock the ears off the fans. He is definitively Batman. He gets into that suit and he swaggers around that set and he looks like Batman. He's almost six feet tall with the big ears. I was very surprised. I didn't even know it was him walking around the set!"

On casting Jack Nicholson as the Joker:

Quote"I brought it to Warner Bros. about five years ago. It was Jack all the way for me. I lobbied and lobbied. They had people like Robin Williams and Steve Martin in mind. But I couldn't see them for anything. I said, 'Just look at The Shining. There's the Joker for you!'"

A couple of comments on Nolan's Batman.

Mark Waid on The Dark Knight
Quote"I love the Christopher Nolan movie, I love the last few minutes where you realize Batman is going to be the villain in that story, essentially. I have no interest in writing that kind of movie, because that means I don't get to watch that kind of movie, and watching the second Batman movie was one of the best comic book experiences I ever had in my life."
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=29185

Mike Mignola on Nolan's trilogy
Quote"As far as superhero films, I still think RoboCop is the greatest superhero/comic book film, because it wasn't a comic, but it felt so much like a comic. I'm not a big fan of the Batman movies that (Christopher Nolan) did recently. But I thought the first Iron Man was just great."
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2013/01/comic-relief-with-hellboy-creator-mike-mignola.html