Comic Creators Comment on Batman Movies

Started by Silver Nemesis, Fri, 16 Aug 2013, 19:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Let's see it, SE!
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Sun, 29 Sep 2013, 22:23 #31 Last Edit: Mon, 14 Oct 2013, 12:19 by SilentEnigma
Wizard # 155, September 2004

(EDIT - adding the full page in the Gallery a few days after this discussion)

Just curious, what were his order for "favorite Batman movies?"  Besides B89-B&R, is the fifth movie B66?
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Sun, 29 Sep 2013, 22:44 #33 Last Edit: Sun, 29 Sep 2013, 22:48 by SilentEnigma
Quote from: BatmAngelus on Sun, 29 Sep  2013, 22:34
Just curious, what were his order for "favorite Batman movies?"  Besides B89-B&R, is the fifth movie B66?

I was 50/50 about adding this particular article in the gallery.. It wasn't an order of the Bat-franchise, in this article he writes them off completely. It was a list of movies which he thinks have a "Batman" feel. Only the first is an actual Batfilm.

1. Mask of the Phantasm, 2. Spider-Man, 3. Last of the Mohicans, 4. Unbreakable, 5. The Thomas Crown Affair (Brosnan version)

Hmm, interesting way to do it.  Does he write out his thoughts on each one or does he just list the movies?

Sun, 29 Sep 2013, 23:05 #35 Last Edit: Mon, 14 Oct 2013, 12:19 by SilentEnigma
Well, better upload it in full  :)

(EDIT - adding the full page in the Gallery a few days after this discussion)

Thanks, Silent Enigma.

In reading his Spider-Man section, I'm curious what he thought of the Batman Begins ending where Rachel turns down Bruce.

Sun, 29 Sep 2013, 23:37 #37 Last Edit: Sun, 29 Sep 2013, 23:39 by johnnygobbs
Sorry but f*** Whedon.  This stupid piece makes me wonder if I should boycott 'Shield' and the next 'Avengers' movie.  I never liked the guy until the last 'Avengers' film anyway and it does make me wonder how much of the 'Avengers' success was down to him.  He's one to talk about bad dialogue...

By the way, isn't Whedon the one who wrote a Batman movie treatment featuring none of the Rogues Gallery but some 'Hannibal Lector' rip-off of his own conception?

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/08/11/joss-whedon-talks-about-his-batman-movie-that-never-was/

Also, 'Hulk' is a great movie and both Ang Lee and Tim Burton are ten times the auteur he will ever be.

So yeah, thanks Silent Enigma on reminding me why I hate Whedon and why I should probably give anything produced by that self-publicising prick a pass in future.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

I could care less about what Joss Whedon has to say about Burton's Batman, though the guy has gotten big-headed since the Avengers' success. He says he's got a problem with the ending of The Empire Strikes Back because it was too obvious into setting up a sequel. I wonder if he has the same problem for The Dark Knight then, or is he yet another Nolan sycophant?  ::)

That's not all though, he describes that comedic scene where Indiana Jones kills that Arab swordsman in The Temple of Doom to be everything that's "wrong" with contemporary cinema.  ???

Sources:
http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/23/joss-whedon-star-wars-the-empire-strikes-back-ending-was-terrible-3935959/
http://www.slashfilm.com/joss-whedon-points-at-temple-of-doom-scene-as-example-of-cultural-problem/
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I saw those quotes a few weeks back too Laughing Fish.  Like you say, Whedon has gotten big-headed lately.

It seems to have become fashionable lately to dump on Lucas and Spielberg which is perhaps symptomatic of the current Nolan-love-in.  Anything that threatens his or Whedon's positions at the top of the blockbuster director pantheon has to be brought down a peg or two.  The difference between Lucas & Spielberg, and Whedon & Nolan of course is that the former two came up with entirely fresh material (albeit material that was inspired in part by the serials and fantasy novels they'd grown up with) and in the process completely rewrote the language of popular cinema, whereas the latter two had to adapt already proven & tested popular icons in order to come up with their big blockbuster successes (heck even Nolan's first Batman film only did so-so business at the box-office relative to inflation meaning that he was quite lucky to get another chance with the character).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.