The Kaiju/Monsterverse Thread (Kong & Godzilla)

Started by BatmanFanatic93, Sat, 2 Mar 2013, 02:26

Previous topic - Next topic
I just saw it when it came out,downloaded it before it got removed,& all i have to say is that...hollywood redeemed themselves in my book i mean the destruction,the dead bodies everywhere,the msyterious dead monster,& of course Godzilla himself this is what the american 1998 remake should have been >:( anyways i got excited when i heard godzilla's roar which sounds like the Heisei godzilla but modified abit & seeing godzilla's silhouette rising from the ground & roaring..just wow i just know the movie is gonna be awesome also did anyone hear the news that legendary picture is working for universal now?Is this a sign that the sequel will be a king kong vs godzilla movie??  :D
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

Mon, 7 Oct 2013, 04:13 #31 Last Edit: Mon, 7 Oct 2013, 04:16 by phantom stranger
For me, the 1998 movie was probably the biggest cinematic letdown of all time.

The online marketing was simply amazing, probably better than any other film at the time. It consisted of an active online message board where fans like me speculated as to what the movie would be like. The trailers for the film were incredibly well-done.

This one in particular, is probably one of the best teasers of all time:

Unfortunately, the actual product was incredibly sub-par. But it stars half the cast of The Simpson's so it gets some points from me on that...

Anyways, the new one has to be better if for no other reason then it can't possibly be any worse.

I agree that the marketing for the 1998 was, especially at the time, second to none. And really, STILL ranks up there for some of the greatest marketing for a film in the modern era. Which is saying something considering it was pre-viral marketing and such.

The one I liked the best is this one.

I remember seeing that one when I saw Starship Troopers with a cousin, and thinking the film would be nothing short of outstanding. I also remember thinking that although I fully expected Godzilla to look different, and was open to that idea, I also expected Godzilla to retain the classic Toho design to some extent. Much like the 1994 Stan Winston Godzilla design.

Nope.  ::)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

um how do you make a "realistic" godzilla movie? a regular sized lizard terrorizes a hotel? lol.

Mon, 7 Oct 2013, 16:39 #34 Last Edit: Mon, 7 Oct 2013, 17:03 by BatmanFanatic93
Godzilla is a dinosaur not a lizard & for the trailers i agree the marketing was simply amazing back in the time cause for starters we barely saw Zilla in any of the those shots except for his eye,tail,& feet & the army trying to figure out what they're dealing with i gotta give them props for the suspense & excitement they put into those trailers thinking your gonna see something awesome but really all you were gonna see was a sissy,fish eating,scaredy cat,Lizard that took the name "Godzilla  The king of monsters" & for years made people think that's how godzilla was in japan & years ago....  >:(
GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....sorry sorry didn't mean to rage it just pisses me off how the 1998 failure failed to remake a classic from 50's & forever tainted the image of godzilla for years to come......until now thanks gareth edwards.

Btw what do you think the dead monster in the trailer was?
You ether die a trilogy or live long enough to see yourself become batman & robin

I thought i'd make this thread for us G-fans so we can talk about the 2014 film & past godzilla films just for fun & nostalgic memories.  :D

First off how did you guys discover Godzilla?

First discovered Godzilla at a very young age. Too far back for me to remember actually. But I recall watching Godzilla marathon's on TNT and/or TBS to some extent, so that may have very well been my introduction. I do remember being surprised, and then excited when I saw a VHS copy of 'King Kong vs Godzilla' in some store my parents to me to at a young age, and that one, in particular, being a favorite. Mainly due to the notion of two iconic monsters battling, and really, it didn't disappoint in that arena.

I remember Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster, and Godzilla 1985 being other tapes I would watch over and over as well. Ghidrah being a great monster mash, and '85 being probably my first taste of a fairly serious Godzilla film, though of course I was too young to really get the blantant product placement, and cold war propaganda.  ;D

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Tue,  8 Oct  2013, 12:14

First discovered Godzilla at a very young age. Too far back for me to remember actually. But I recall watching Godzilla marathon's on TNT and/or TBS to some extent, so that may have very well been my introduction. I do remember being surprised, and then excited when I saw a VHS copy of 'King Kong vs Godzilla' in some store my parents to me to at a young age, and that one, in particular, being a favorite. Mainly due to the notion of two iconic monsters battling, and really, it didn't disappoint in that arena.

I remember Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster, and Godzilla 1985 being other tapes I would watch over and over as well. Ghidrah being a great monster mash, and '85 being probably my first taste of a fairly serious Godzilla film, though of course I was too young to really get the blantant product placement, and cold war propaganda.  ;D
What a awesome way to be introduced to the king of monsters man  :D as for me like you i was at a young age but the funny thing it was my mom who exposed Godzilla to me you see i was wondering my own business watching bugs bunny cartoons until one day my mom came in wanting to show me something on channel 26 (yeah on a fox channel) so i let her & when the movie began i was a little scared cause i remember red firey letters being burnt on the screen & thus His name came up "GODZILLA" aka Godzilla 1985 please note i thought i was watching a horror film due to the opening where that guy finds all the crew memebers dead & being attack by that sea lice  :P so after awhile of being scared of the opening & the mysterious monster attacking the sub underwater i was finally Introduced to godzilla with that awesome panning up shot of him looking down at that soilder & roaring..Oooooh i still goosebumps to that awesome scene  ;D & after movie was i litterally addicted to godzilla movies & thus began my cursade in sreaching for anything godzilla related from toys to movies....i was that big of a fan  :-[ :P

Probably introduced by the cartoon series, but I also used to sleepover at a friends house when we were young kids...they showed the old Godzilla movies over the course of a lot of weekends on a TV station.

Quote from: BatmanFanatic93 on Tue,  8 Oct  2013, 16:51
What a awesome way to be introduced to the king of monsters man  :D as for me like you i was at a young age but the funny thing it was my mom who exposed Godzilla to me you see i was wondering my own business watching bugs bunny cartoons until one day my mom came in wanting to show me something on channel 26 (yeah on a fox channel) so i let her & when the movie began i was a little scared cause i remember red firey letters being burnt on the screen & thus His name came up "GODZILLA" aka Godzilla 1985 please note i thought i was watching a horror film due to the opening where that guy finds all the crew memebers dead & being attack by that sea lice  :P so after awhile of being scared of the opening & the mysterious monster attacking the sub underwater i was finally Introduced to godzilla with that awesome panning up shot of him looking down at that soilder & roaring..Oooooh i still goosebumps to that awesome scene  ;D & after movie was i litterally addicted to godzilla movies & thus began my cursade in sreaching for anything godzilla related from toys to movies....i was that big of a fan  :-[ :P

That's a VERY cool way to be introduced to Godzilla!!! Yeah, Godzilla 1985 is definitely a favorite since I first saw it way back when. Love the design of Godzilla in that one, love the fact that Raymond Burr was brought back to reprise his role from the original, and how Godzilla was brought back from the friendly Earth-Defender role, to the unstoppable force of nature that he represented in the original 1954 classic! That's also cool about your Mom being the one who provided the introduction! I think my Mother just put up with my Godzilla addiction for the most part. Haha As she much preferred the King Kong films if we're talking giant monsters.

I'm really hoping Shout Factory or some company of that quality will put out a proper edition of Godzilla 1985 on DVD/Bluray by the time the 2014 Godzilla film starts playing in theaters. It's the only one that hasn't had a official stateside release, and that's just a travesty to be honest. Especially for any youngster at all interested in watching Godzilla. Would be nice if that's rectified fairly soon.