Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (2010)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 3 Feb 2013, 21:39

Previous topic - Next topic
Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it before, but I enjoyed it.

I still think the Spectre DC Short is the best, but this Green Arrow film was miles ahead of the lacklustre Catwoman short.

I think Owlman is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Batman villains. He has all the skills, knowledge and strengths of Batman, but he has an added streak of ruthlessness and access to more advanced technology. He really is the ultimate adversary.

James Woods is said to be one of the most intelligent actors in Hollywood, and watching some of the interviews related to this movie it sounds like he took a genuinely thoughtful approach to the character. I can imagine a lot of actors might just phone it in and take the money with these animated films, but Woods seems like he was genuinely enthusiastic about the part. And his Chekhovian interpretation of Owlman is fascinating.

In this interview he also mentions how he nearly played the Joker in Batman '89. If Jack hadn't played the part, Woods would have been the perfect choice. I suspect he would have looked a lot like the Brian Bolland Joker in the makeup, which would've been perfect for Burton's Killing Joke-influenced take on the character.

Getting back to Crisis on Two Earths, did anyone catch the Superman II (1980) reference during the fight between Supes and Ultraman, where the former grabs a mirror and uses it to reflect his opponent's heat vision back at him?

One final thing to mention about this film is the awesome theme music. It's the perfect theme for the Justice League.

It was definitely a good movie but (like many people) I found Baldwin's vocal work for Batman to be very distracting. I'm all for different interpretations but every time he spoke it just took me out of the film.

Another minor gripe is that I wish it was actually within DCAU continuity, as the script was apparently originally written to bridge the gap between the two Justice League series.

Quote from: phantom stranger on Sat, 15 Feb  2014, 21:50Another minor gripe is that I wish it was actually within DCAU continuity, as the script was apparently originally written to bridge the gap between the two Justice League series.

That would've made more sense. It was clearly meant to take place after the events of the JLU three-parter 'Starcrossed', as evidenced by the absence of Hawkgirl and the John Stewart Green Lantern, as well as the reconstruction of the Watchtower that's underway at the start of the film. The plot point about the Watchtower being rebuilt seems totally superfluous if it's not a sequel to Starcrossed. So they probably should've set them within the same continuity.

But even so, I liked this film a lot. It's a shame more people haven't seen it.