Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (2010)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Sun, 3 Feb 2013, 21:39

Previous topic - Next topic
I just saw this film for the first time last night.

It's got plenty of great action scenes. And James Woods is wonderfully sinister as Owlman, the evil alternate version of Batman. It's not the best of the DC Universe films, but I thought it was quite a good one.

Anyone else seen it?

No I've not seen it yet. Must check it out.

Yeah, it was good. Was this Owlman (in his older comic appearances) maybe one of the influences for Nite Owl II?
New Frontier (2008), and Doom (2012) are also enjoyable.

Thu, 7 Feb 2013, 23:10 #3 Last Edit: Tue, 9 Jan 2018, 18:36 by Silver Nemesis
QuoteWas this Owlman (in his older comic appearances) maybe one of the influences for Nite Owl II?

It's possible. The first Owlman appeared in 'Crisis on Earth Three!' (Justice League of America #29, August 1964). And obviously Nite Owl II first appeared in Watchmen in 1986. Supposedly Nite Owl II was inspired by the Ted Kord Blue Beetle, who first debuted in 'The New Blue Beetle' (Captain Atom #83, November 1966). But I think the similarities between Kord and Dreiberg were more to do with their backgrounds and personalities than their appearances. Dreiberg's costume certainly resembles the Silver Age Owlman's more than it does Kord's.

From left to right: Owlman (1964), Blue Beetle (1966), Nite Owl II (1986)

The Owlman in this movie – who is essentially an updated version of the Earth-Three Owlman from the Pre-Crisis era (both being members of the Crime Syndicate of America/Amerika) – is based on the antimatter/Earth-3 Thomas Wayne Jr. Owlman from Grant Morrison's JLA: Earth-2 (2000). In that comic he sported a distinctive feathered cape design similar to the one worn by Nite Owl II. It makes me wonder if the more high-tech armoured Nite Owl costume in Zack Snyder's movie was perhaps influenced by this version of Owlman.

Speaking of Owlman, I thought it was interesting how the movie ended with (SPOILERS) Batman breaking his no kill rule by strapping Owlman to the QED bomb before teleporting it to an uninhabitable Earth, and allowing Johnny Quick to die in the Flash's place when he vibrated at super speed. (END SPOILERS) All in all, it was a pretty coldblooded depiction of the Dark Knight. But I liked the film a lot.

QuoteNew Frontier (2008), and Doom (2012) are also enjoyable.

I enjoyed New Frontier, but I haven't seen Doom yet. I've been slow collecting the DC universe animated movies. There are still a few I haven't seen.

^ I highly recommend the shorts on some of those discs. The ones for Jonah Hex, Green Arrow, the Spectre and the Superman/Captain Marvel thing are all pretty good.

I just watched The Spectre short last night. I loved it. You could tell the special effects guy was modelled on Tom Savini. And one of the props that attacked him was clearly Reagan from The Exorcist (1973). The music was quite similar to John Harrison's score for Day of the Dead (1985), though that may have been a coincidence. And the possessed car was definitely a nod to Christine (1983). As a film buff, I love spotting those kind of references.

I've got the DVDs that the Green Arrow and Jonah Hex shorts are meant to be included on, but they're not there. Either they were exclusive to the Blu-Rays or they just weren't included on the Region 2 releases. I've got The Spectre short on my two-disc edition of Crisis on Two Earths. And I've got the Catwoman short on the Batman: Year One DVD. But Jonah Hex and Green Arrow – they just aren't there.  >:(

QuoteI've got the DVDs that the Green Arrow and Jonah Hex shorts are meant to be included on, but they're not there.

Let's say that if one has purchased the official DVD, there's no harm done in resorting to other means to get some missing special features.

QuoteLet's say that if one has purchased the official DVD, there's no harm done in resorting to other means to get some missing special features.

It's awfully tempting...

I thought this was alright, but it does feel like an overlong episode of an existing TV series instead of a standalone film.

I'm not usually keen on stories involving multiverses, but it was interesting how the Crime Syndicate were evil versions the Justice League. The plot didn't really leave a huge impression on me, other than Martian Manhunter and Deathstroke's daughter almost being romantically involved, the other Earth's Lex Luthor being the only surviving member of the Justice League, and Batman tricking Johnny Quick to send him back to another dimension stop Owlman. I thought whoever voiced Batman (it was one of the Baldwin brothers, if I'm right) did a poor job though. Flat and dull. On the other hand, James Woods was good as Owlman; I didn't even recognize his voice. Whereas Batman is the introverted, cynical type - Owlman was the same but extremely nihilistic. The Flash felt like the Spider-Man of the group, always had a big mouth and flippant. Interesting that Ultraman came across as your typical wiseguy too.

Overall, a good enough one-time watch but not quite the best animated movie that DC has to offer.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 11 Feb  2013, 23:25
I just watched The Spectre short last night. I loved it. You could tell the special effects guy was modelled on Tom Savini. And one of the props that attacked him was clearly Reagan from The Exorcist (1973). The music was quite similar to John Harrison's score for Day of the Dead (1985), though that may have been a coincidence. And the possessed car was definitely a nod to Christine (1983). As a film buff, I love spotting those kind of references.

I've got the DVDs that the Green Arrow and Jonah Hex shorts are meant to be included on, but they're not there. Either they were exclusive to the Blu-Rays or they just weren't included on the Region 2 releases. I've got The Spectre short on my two-disc edition of Crisis on Two Earths. And I've got the Catwoman short on the Batman: Year One DVD. But Jonah Hex and Green Arrow – they just aren't there.  >:(
You're in luck when it comes to the Green Arrow one.  Last month, WB posted it for free on YouTube:

That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...