Burton's Batman III - The Story (My Ideas)

Started by Batman333, Thu, 16 Jul 2015, 04:36

Previous topic - Next topic
Wondering if anyone else had any feedback for me ???

Thanks !

Since starting a new thread seems redundant, I thought it might be kind of neat for a third movie to explore the effect Batman has been having on Gotham City. Police resent Batman after BR, citizens hate him and because of that stuff criminals no longer fear him as much.

To compensate for that, Batman consults Hugo Strange on methods to scare the you-know-what out of criminals again. The "good" doctor suggests a fear toxin but that doesn't end well when Jonathan Crane, Strange's lab assistant, forces his toxin onto an unwilling test subjects who then mutate into the Monster Men and all kinds of wacky BS ensues.

Meanwhile, to get Bruce out of the house on a more regular basis, Alfred virtually foists Gotham socialite Julie Madison onto Bruce and the two really do hit it off. Alfred's logic is that dating a career woman like Vicki blew up in everybody's face. Dating a nutbar like Selina wasn't much better. So maybe a flighty celebutante could be the way to go.

Ultimately the movie would be about Batman clearing his name and Bruce realizing that he has more to offer Gotham City than batarangs and karate kicks. This would be intended as a segue for Bruce as more of a Bill Gates-style philanthropist than a Howard Hughes-style shut-in.

Bruce ultimately learns he can deal with the disease as Bruce and deal with the symptoms as Batman. Julie is his gateway into all that.

As to Batman, he realizes the best way to ensure the cops don't come for him guns blazing is to create a loose partnership with GCPD beginning with Commissioner Gordon.

These are excellent ideas thecolorsblend.

Although I know Burton didn't care to make a direct sequel to his first Batman, I do like how you've addressed the fact that Batman was still presumably a fugitive, or at the very least mistrusted by the public/police/officials, by the end of Batman Returns.  I still like to think that the Bat-symbol shining at the end of Batman Returns represents Batman's name having been cleared of all wrongdoing, or at least an opportunity for Batman to meet with Commissioner Gordon to explain himself (something I'd hope the apprehended members of the Red Triangle Circus Gang could corroborate).  Still, I do like that your synopsis ties up those loose ends.  :)

You also present a Bruce Wayne that is slightly more akin to the sociable playboy of the comics than the brooding eccentric Burton gave us, which is a great way of marrying up Burton's vision with the more traditional version of the character.  And I like the part Julie Madison plays in your scenario and the rationale Alfred gives for hooking Bruce up with her.  It's a shame the Ice Princess died because I could easily see her being the flighty socialite Julie Madison you describe.

By the way, do you have anyone in mind who could have played The Scarecrow and Hugo Strange, and would Robin make an appearance at all?
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Wed,  6 Jan  2016, 17:57I still like to think that the Bat-symbol shining at the end of Batman Returns represents Batman's name having been cleared of all wrongdoing, or at least an opportunity for Batman to meet with Commissioner Gordon to explain himself (something I'd hope the apprehended members of the Red Triangle Circus Gang could corroborate).
True enough... but I figured Burton could spin that as Gordon showing solidarity with Batman but that still leaves everybody else's motives up for grabs. I still see story potential there.

Casting? I'm an idea guy. I'd leave the casting decisions to the pros.

Yeah, my idea is a sequel to both B89 and BR which Burton may not have been open to but he could dilute the direct connections a bit if he was so inclined. Besides it's not like BR was totally divorced from B89.

Gordon didn't believe Batman was guilty, or at least he didn't want him shot on sight. And I don't think it should be a huge problem for Batman to be cleared, with the villains out of the scene and the Gang defeated.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Wed,  6 Jan  2016, 19:31True enough... but I figured Burton could spin that as Gordon showing solidarity with Batman but that still leaves everybody else's motives up for grabs. I still see story potential there.
Definitely, and my comment was simply speculation, in the absence of anything more definitive/certain, such as your hypothetical Batman III.  :)

QuoteYeah, my idea is a sequel to both B89 and BR which Burton may not have been open to but he could dilute the direct connections a bit if he was so inclined. Besides it's not like BR was totally divorced from B89.
I agree again, but I'd still argue that there was little clear narrative progression from Batman '89 to Batman Returns.  What narrative progression exists, in terms of Bruce becoming even more of a hermit and discovering that avenging his parents' death will not sate his thirst/need to be Batman, is mostly sub-text (which is certainly not a criticism on my part, as I like sub-text and the way Burton leaves things open to interpretation).  Your concept for a hypothetical Batman III, which as I say is very good, is arguably a more explicit follow-up to Batman Returns, than Batman Returns was to Batman '89.

Quote from: Max Shreck on Wed,  6 Jan  2016, 19:58
Gordon didn't believe Batman was guilty, or at least he didn't want him shot on sight. And I don't think it should be a huge problem for Batman to be cleared, with the villains out of the scene and the Gang defeated.
I agree about Gordon, but he still has to convince the public and the rest of Gotham's establishment.  And just because the villains and gang are defeated it doesn't make it a foregone conclusion that Batman was innocent, even if we know, and Gordon believes, that he is.

I can rationalise his exoneration however because Batman clearly defeated the Red Triangle Circus Gang and surely they'd be convinced to speak against their deceased boss, The Penguin, especially if it was part of a deal to get their prison terms shortened (I'm guessing not all of them were murderers or directly involved in the kidnapping and attempted murder of Gotham's first-born).

I said not a huge problem. I don't think it would take another movie for that to be solved.

I didn't think this was worthy of its own thread, but somebody put together this 52 second mock-up trailer of what Batman Forever might've looked like if Burton directed it, but with Scarecrow as the main villain instead of the Riddler.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei