Recommend a movie

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 31 Mar 2018, 01:47

Previous topic - Next topic
The title for this thread says it all, sharing recommendations for all these films to each other.

If anybody is looking for some surreal science fiction, check out Ex Machina and Annihilation, directed by Alex Garland. Ex Machina is about a computer programmer who studies a female AI and becomes infatuated by her. Annihilation is the Netflix movie where Natalie Portman plays a scientist who joins thre other women exploring this strange landmass created by some alien infestation that absorbs living DNA.

Both films are bizarre, but fascinating to watch.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The Bank Job. This little gem from 2008 got a little overlooked. Between TDK, Iron Man, that Star Wars- Clone Wars bit of business and some other odds and ends, The Bank Job never really got its due. Which a damn shame if you ask me because it's a fun-loving good time.

It starts off as a pseudo-spy thriller then it becomes a caper comedy and then it becomes a crime film. The shifting of all these gears is smooth as glass and a lot of that is due to the slick directing. Very well done.

There are some real laughs, a riff or two on a kinda sorta real life James Bond figure, some boobies for those who like that sort of thing and, best of all, Jason Statham in the kind of movie that he does best. This movie won't change your life but you do run the risk of forgetting about your problems from beginning credits to end credits.

Highly recommended!

This one is freaking awesome, y'all should totally check it out....

Seriously though, I'm going to recommend a racing movie by Ron Howard. This is about a real life rivalry in F1 in the 1970s when the sport was super, super dangerous (which is a key point of the story). Even if you don't like racing (I do of course but I'm not very fond of F1, it's all politics and technology where I prefer simpler battles of men and machines like NASCAR and Indy) this movie is epic. It blends so many elements together beautifully. The title is perfect because I got a literal "rush" as I was watching it.

Trailers. Holy f*** I want to watch it again right now.

YES! Rush is an underrated gem, and prove Chris Hemsworth is capable of doing more than only Thor. My favourite scene was when Niki Lauda calls boldly everybody at a party assholes.

If you're into buddie cop movies, you might want to try out Running Scared. The comedic chemistry between Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines is spot on.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The Big Lebowski. Such a quotable movie with lots of laughs. I can watch it anytime.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  1 Apr  2018, 02:28
The Big Lebowski. Such a quotable movie with lots of laughs. I can watch it anytime.

Careful man, there's a beverage in here!  8)

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

The mystery. The darkness. The comedy. The fun. The creativity.

Gene Wilder brought to life one of the best cinematic characters of all time.

I'm in the mood for this one. :)

What can you tell me about it Edd?

I second the recommendations for The Big Lebowski and Running Scared.

Remember this awesome song from the latter:

Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.