Beetlejuice Beetlejuice (2024)

Started by Cobblepot4Mayor, Wed, 23 Oct 2013, 11:16

Previous topic - Next topic
Am I the only one just waiting for Keaton to get cast in this thing... and then subsequently replaced in reshoots?

In all seriousness, I find I'm not opposed to a new Beetlejuice. I like the first one okay. But it's not sacred to me or anything. Personally, I can afford a bad Beetlejuice sequel. But if it turns out great, that works too.

Interesting that Catherine O'Hara is returning as Delia Deetz. I wasn't expecting that; as I figured the elder Deetz's probably wouldn't be included at this point in a sequel.

Makes me wonder how the Charles Deetz character will be addressed? Recast (can't imagine Jeffrey Jones is going to be asked back)? Happily divorced from Delia? Passed on?

I assume with Delia returning, there will be some sort of reference to Otho. Those two came across as joined at the hip at times in the original Beetlejuice. Especially in terms of seeking approval and validation.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

This rumor has been picking up steam:

QuoteSink will be playing the daughter of Lydia Deetz, whom Winona Ryder portrayed in the original film.

Nobody wanted to believe it at first as the news originated on Giant Freakin' Robot, but more scoopers have someou5t this month and said that yes, she is in talks and Winona Ryder made it happen.

I've never watched "Stranger Things", so I am largely unfamiliar with Sadie Sink. The overall likelihood of the sequel taking place in 'Winter River, Connecticut' like in the original seems pretty dim. Cause that would just raise too many questions on what's happening with the Maitlands. Still interested in seeing just how much influence the early '90's toon is, or is not, going to have on the sequel. Especially in terms of Beetlejuice being portrayed as more of a comedic guardian ghost with Lydia and her daughter, opposing a more sinister spectre (not quite the best buds deal that was going on with Beetlejuice/Lydia in the toon but similar), or very much remaining a antagonist ghost that plots a revenge scheme against Lydia, with her daughter being a more naive target in doing so ....

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

This link has two major things to say
1. Jenny Ortega of Wednesday is closing a deal on BJ 2.
2. More importantly a budget is trying to get set because the production is eyeing MAY OF THIS YEAR for the shoot.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/jenna-ortega-beetlejuice-2-1235342774/

As a big fan of Beetlejuice, I don't want it. The first Beetlejuice was lightning in a bottle. If someone made a sequel it would just be cashing in on the name. There is no filmmaker today that's like 80's Tim Burton. Beetlejuice is a weird script that was mostly improvised on the fly and still worked. You can't replicate something like that. I mean look at Ghostbusters. They've tried to reboot multiple times now and none of the attempts even come close to the first film. Sometimes movies are made in the right place at the right time.

Quote from: BatmanFurst on Fri, 10 Mar  2023, 06:01
As a big fan of Beetlejuice, I don't want it. The first Beetlejuice was lightning in a bottle. If someone made a sequel it would just be cashing in on the name. There is no filmmaker today that's like 80's Tim Burton. Beetlejuice is a weird script that was mostly improvised on the fly and still worked. You can't replicate something like that. I mean look at Ghostbusters. They've tried to reboot multiple times now and none of the attempts even come close to the first film. Sometimes movies are made in the right place at the right time.
I like it but I'm not a devout fan of the first movie. I would like to see Keaton back for this, and I'm intrigued to see how Burton would fare. However I do agree with your sentiment. Ghostbusters Afterlife was competely underwhelming and forgettable. I can't consider that the official third film regardless of what canon says. As much as I maintain The Matrix Resurrections' approach is on better ground compared to other nostalgia revivals, I also kinda wish it wasn't made. If they're going to do another Beetlejuice, swing for the fences and make it worth our time.

Fri, 10 Mar 2023, 15:03 #18 Last Edit: Fri, 10 Mar 2023, 15:05 by Gotham Knight
Okay, here's a a little conjecture on my part:

Budget and stars are connected. To settle the budget you have to know who's in the movie IE the studio approves the money you can spend based on who's in it. In other words it all currently rests on Ortega. Her final price will likely be determined by how well Scream 6 does. If she signs on as the star it will cause a chain reaction. The budget will be set, the schedule finalized, and then look for an announcement. If it goes smoothly, I'd would expect an official press release from WB by the end of April.

My guess is that the film will release October 2024. If it is a smooth ride. I think it will be.

I'd say that's a astute observation, and I agree. Being that Jenna Ortega is basically a hollywood "it" girl these days, her inclusion would, theoretically, cause the spark that finally gets the ball rolling on the sequel, rather than all the hemming and hawing we've seen for decades now with this proposed sequel.

Ortega as Lydia Deetz's daughter is pretty good casting I think. So hopefully that pans out. Both Jenna and Winona are rather tiny, and both have had previous successful collaborations with Burton himself. Which brings a interesting subtext to such a project like this where they would be playing mother and daughter.