Theatrical Re-Releases

Started by Slash Man, Fri, 17 May 2019, 23:28

Previous topic - Next topic
I know there's a topic on the new 4K home video release for the original four Batman films, but I don't believe there's a separate discussion for the films being re-released in theaters in promotion of the event:
https://www.fathomevents.com/collections/batman-80th-anniversary
How did the screenings go for you? How did they look? What was the crowd like?

I wasn't feeling 100% for the first two, which I already regret. I've seen them separately for other special theatrical events, but this remaster with new soundtrack seemed like it was worth catching. There was only a handful of people for Forever, and only one other person in the theater for Batman & Robin. Kind of sad, but I still enjoyed the opportunity to see such important movies in theaters that I was just too young to before.

I can tell you he films looked great. It was very sleek and didn't have the natural grainy look that the first two films had. An unfortunate side effect of such pristine quality is being able to see through a lot of older visual effects. In this case, Batman Forever had a few moments that lingered on the cityscape that stood out, but Batman & Robin surprisingly stood up well. Still two good examples for what I consider the experimental age of CGI. The original Batman had some dodgy compositing issues, but as I recall, Batman Returns held up best of all.

I went to Batman Forever with a friend that was not familiar with the film, and the introduction before actually set the stage quite well and gave an adequate background for the environment when it was released. Unfortunately, I was too late to see the introduction for Batman & Robin. Meanwhile the projector was off and cut off some of the bottom of the screen.

I recall talks of the soundtrack to the original Batman being redone and modernized. I didn't really notice that with the latter two films, but they probably wouldn't have made much difference. Burton's films always reminded me of old Hollywood and seemed intentionally timeless (a lot of stock sound effects, like guns were intentionally dated). Schumacher significantly modernized the feel, though the street level shots of Gotham still do feel in line with the previous films (though I just noticed the Taco Bell in the climax of Batman & Robin).

I can't thank Warner enough for doing this, and as much as I wish this got some positive reception for the original Batman quadrilogy, my own experience sees that this was under-attended despite being advertised decently online.

Despite the controversy regarding the new sound mix for Batman '89, the new 4K masters were great improvements over the previous Blu-ray releases and it was great to experience them all in the theater again. You can tell Batman is still Warners' golden boy being given the highest treatment possible as we only got Superman: The Movie rereleased and on 4K Blu-ray without the sequels. I'm surprised the Nolan films weren't squeezed in to celebrate, but I can live without them since they were so recent.

The attendance rate for my theater gradually went down with each film. Batman '89 had about 40 people and Batman Returns had about 15. Batman Forever was a staggering 5 people in total. I didn't get to go to Batman & Robin, but I imagine it was probably just the four that went to Forever coming back so that they could get the deal that allowed them to own digital copies of all of the films once they are released next month. Since I've had the pleasure of seeing both of Burton's films in the theater in the last 10 years a number of times, Batman Forever was the most special to me since I hadn't seen it in a theater since 1995. The sound mix was giving the theater quite a work out! It was so much fun to be 6-years-old again and having a good time at the movies.

Quote from: Kamdan on Sat, 18 May  2019, 00:05
You can tell Batman is still Warners' golden boy being given the highest treatment possible as we only got Superman: The Movie rereleased and on 4K Blu-ray without the sequels.
I think Superman is a dead duck and not really even a company mascot anymore.

Quote from: Kamdan on Sat, 18 May  2019, 00:05
Batman Forever was the most special to me since I hadn't seen it in a theater since 1995. The sound mix was giving the theater quite a work out! It was so much fun to be 6-years-old again and having a good time at the movies.
I know where you're coming from. I saw BF in cinemas as a kid and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I wore it out on VHS, but as years progressed, my fandom for the film faded. I re-evaluated things and bought into the fan backlash against everything Schumacher. But now I've gone back to my original feelings on the matter. It's a fun movie that has more going for it than against. It's not deserving of extreme opposition.

I think a lot of 90s kids have a special place for Batman Forever, which was no doubt deliberate by Warner in their attempts to broaden the appeal of the movies. While I've never hated it, I get something different from it on each viewing. Sometimes I see the Burton elements that are still in the series, sometimes I see the gags that are less subtle and more common. Either way, seeing it in theaters gave me a lot more to notice.

This has nothing to do with the theatrical showings, but I thought I'd share these simple villain posters of the Burton/Schumacher era, in celebration of all four films getting released on the 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray.

I couldn't find one for Nicholson's Joker though. It doesn't look like they made one for him. How f***ing typical of those dickheads at Warner.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I really like those. It shows they have the means to create striking and appealing digital artwork. They just opt not to for home releases for some reason.