Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Started by Grissom, Sat, 29 Nov 2014, 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 25 Oct  2015, 00:03
The Apathy Awakens. I just don't care very much about this movie.

I mean, if it was a straight up nostalgia fest where we had another adventure with Luke, Han and Leia, I'd be there with freaking bells on. Hell, that's what I originally thought this movie was going to be. Or if it was something totally separate and set, like, 10,000 years after Return of the Jedi, I'd be fine with that too.

What I don't want to see is a Crystal Skull-lite thing where the old cast passes the baton to some babyfaced CW-friendly cast of pretty 20-something. That would be retarded and I don't care to see that.

Just. Don't. Care.

If you're looking forward to this movie, God bless. Really. But more and more this is looking like something I won't be much into.
I kind of feel the opposite way...now there's a surprise.  ;)

Prior to the trailer I wasn't that hyped-up about the new films (I haven't, for the record, ever seen a Star Wars film in the cinema, and I mostly disliked the prequels, although I adore the 'original trilogy'), but the new footage has got me genuinely excited for the new films.  They seem to strike the right tone being neither as dour nor as childish as the prequels seemed (although I do appreciate that prior to TPM there was a lot of hope those films would measure up to the originals).  But looking at the new footage there seems to be nothing akin to Jar Jar Binks or the interminable and cartoonish pod-race, from TPM and thankfully the focus seems to be on young adults rather than a pre-adolescent kid.  Moreover, I really appreciate the diversity of the new cast and the fact that we now seem to have a black guy and a young woman at the centre of the story, both of whom have fresh, distinctive looks about them, far from the bland identikit/Gap model casts of the wretched CW shows you referred to thecolorsblend (and at least the CW shows are something we can agree on...suffice to say, I'm not a fan of them either).

I hope and suspect that J J Abrams has learned from the lessons of the prequels and the mixed response they generated (too childish, too much boring trade federation nonsense, too much Jar Jar Binks), and the trailer which seems to empathise the spectacle, magic and mythology of the universe rather than anything as dull and prosaic as 'midichlorians' or trade federation embargos.  Plus the CGI already looks vastly superior to the flat, atmosphere-less, cartoon-character populated likes of Episodes I to III (although I'll admit that I am rather partial to a good proportion of ROTS despite my dislike of the preceding two films, TPM in particular).
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 25 Oct  2015, 00:03
The Apathy Awakens. I just don't care very much about this movie.

I mean, if it was a straight up nostalgia fest where we had another adventure with Luke, Han and Leia, I'd be there with freaking bells on. Hell, that's what I originally thought this movie was going to be. Or if it was something totally separate and set, like, 10,000 years after Return of the Jedi, I'd be fine with that too.

What I don't want to see is a Crystal Skull-lite thing where the old cast passes the baton to some babyfaced CW-friendly cast of pretty 20-somethings. That would be retarded and I don't care to see that.

Just. Don't. Care.

If you're looking forward to this movie, God bless. Really. But more and more this is looking like something I won't be much into.
I'm pretty much the same as you.

My enthusiasm just isn't there at the moment. I was a big Star Wars fan back in the day, but I just can't garner that same crazy hype that others seem to have. Sure, Han Solo and Leia are back, but to me, I just don't think this feels like the 'true' Episode 7. It's JJ Abrams version of it 32 years after the fact.

I'm sure it'll be good enough, but still, I'm just not as interested.

I honestly can't say I'm a avid JJ Abrams fan who rushes out to see every film directed/produced by him, or has even cared to see every bit of his work, but can safely say I'm glad Abrams got the reigns of Episode 7, and thus give it a fighting chance to steer it in a direction that can be atleast be pleasing for fans of the franchise. If we went with Lucas' ideas, from what I understand of where he would have taken it following the sale to Disney, would have been an entirely different beast altogether, and one with very little nostalgia for fans, if any at all. Any excitement would have been for the simple fact that a new Star Wars film would be coming out, and essentially, that's where it would have began and ended.

The hype for this film, from what I can tell, has alot to do with fans getting to see what characters from the original trilogy have been up to 30 years post-ROTJ. Which, wouldn't you know it, is of much interest for hardcore fans, and casual fans alike due to familiarity with those characters. Hence the many, many online articles debating/theorizing/predicting what has, and will happen to those characters with the new film. Especially since all the expanded universe stuff has been thrown out, and consequently, cannot be relied upon any longer as a reference. Going simply off the trailers, Abrams & crew, to their credit, took a worthwhile approach to the material considering the circumstances. It's not a film focused primarily on Luke/Han/Leia, which would be completely unrealistic for Disney to do at this point, however it's apparent that the film certainly gives those characters story arcs, while of course introducing new characters that can, in the grand scheme of things, anchor the franchise into the future. With that, the trailers have done their job very effectively; Garner interest! (and evidently ALOT at that)

Having recently watched the great Empire of Dreams documentary, it's interesting to hear Mark Hamill comment about his wanting to continue to play Luke in future episodes following ROTJ, and see where that character could have gone, but unfortunately the decision to not directly follow-up on Episode 6 was made a long time ago, and those were the cards dealt. Fortunately ... some things have changed, and Ep 7 is finallllly here.   

Rock 'n' Roll!

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

What I'll say about TFA is that it cements the trajectory Hollywood has been taking for a few years now.

Once upon a time you could cruise the Internet and, with varying degrees of effort, you could find out pretty much all about any and every movie that was coming down the pipeline. I think it peaked with Batman Begins, where the entire script was leaked (by Warner Bros.) online.

Lately the trend has been to keep as much stuff secret as possible. TDK and TDKRises had little or no confirmed spoilers floating around out there, TFA has speculation but nothing concrete and BvS likewise has a lot of informed speculation but nothing is certain.

It appears as though the days of producers leaking the entire production to various outlets have passed by. I'm actually okay with that. I don't think the spoiler era of the Internet was a very positive one. This approach basically involved (or conscripted) fans in the process as halfass participants. Except we weren't "participants". We were more of a lynch mob and there are instances where the material suffered (Daredevil) or even died (various Superman films and Batman films) as a result of the scrutiny... or outrage.

If the tendency from here on in is Hollywood returning to secrecy when it comes to movie production... well, ultimately I think that will be best for everyone.

http://time.com/4097600/star-wars-dying-fan/

A very unfortunate and tragic report, but if true, hopefully the guy gets to see the movie.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/ForceForDaniel

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

I hope he gets to see it. That would be great. Maybe he can have a private discussion with someone who is really in the know about what 7-8-9 will end up being so he knows the whole story too. God bless him.

These movies can be really important for fans, even some that will have their life cut short. I am glad he got his wish.

It's good to read that it's a go!

Also, I was unaware that J.J. Abrams had a similar situation prior to the release of Star Trek Into Darkness.

QuoteThis isn't the first time that Abrams has let a terminally ill fan see one of his highly-anticipated projects before the official release date. Back in 2013, the director facilitated a months-in-advance preview of Star Trek Into Darkness for film buff Daniel Craft, who was also fighting with cancer.

So J.J., this goes without saying ....