Watchmen (HBO series)

Started by Silver Nemesis, Wed, 9 Jan 2019, 13:41

Previous topic - Next topic
Somehow I missed the new trailer.

The theory that Rorschach's journal has created a conspiracy theory movement is not really diminished by this trailer. And keep an eye out for a quick glimpse of Archie.

I spent the whole week watching this mini-series, and I finished it last night. Mild spoilers below.

It's pretty eccentric, particularly Jeremy Irons' portrayal of Adrian Veidt - who I thought was very different compared to the more pensive character we read in Alan Moore's comics. The overall plot ties back to historic discrimination Black Americans had faced, notably the massacre in Tulsa, Oklahoma in the early 20th century, and how it references race relations today. Yes, that means the people wearing Rorschach masks, known as the Seventh Kavalry, are a new version of the Ku Klux Klan. The story retcons Hooded Justice, one of the members of the Minutemen, as a black cop who lost his parents during the Tulsa riots and was attacked by white supremacist cops, before appropriating the noose and hood that were used in his lynching to fight crime, and how tragedy connects to his granddaughter Angela Abar. It all connects to a greater conspiracy.

The race theme could've been heavy-handed, but in my opinion, it wasn't as preachy as I thought it could've been. It certainly does a good job at exploring institutional racism back in the 1940s, where the Minutemen are guilty of going ahead with the status quo, to the modern-day threat the Seventh Kavalry poses and the overall conspiracy it's involved with.

If you love shows that are bizarre and out there then go right ahead and watch this. Be warned though, since this is Damon Lindelof, it does leave some questions that are unanswered similar to Lost did. My only complaint is I could've done without the glimpses of gratuitous male nudity and sex scenes involving Captain Metropolis and Hooded Justice, but it is what it is.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei