Hellboy

Started by Silver Nemesis, Tue, 3 Oct 2017, 16:48

Previous topic - Next topic
Is anyone looking forward to the upcoming Hellboy reboot? I watched the old Guillermo del Toro films when they first came out, and I've recently begun reading some of the comics. But I can't say I've ever been a huge fan of this particular property. When it comes to red superheroes with horns, my loyalties lie elsewhere.

However I am interested in the new movie. Neil Marshall's directing, with David Harbour taking over the title role from Ron Perlman. Apparently they're aiming for a darker R-rated interpretation than the earlier films, so I'm expecting more of an emphasis on horror this time around. There's also been some encouraging talk about using practical effects over CGI. The first pictures of Harbour in the make-up have been released and he looks pretty much identical to the comic book character.

Is anyone else looking forward to this, or do you think they should have gone ahead with the third Perlman film instead of rebooting?

There's a lot to be said for risking a sequel. Technically, making Hellboy 2 made no financial sense whatsoever. But one got made any way because the material has a lot of potential.

A reboot at this point probably isn't a terrible idea. It's been almost ten years since Hellboy 2. A fresh approach now might achieve greater success.

Ultimately Hellboy means nothing to me so I can't find a rational argument for or against a reboot. The above is just about the best I can do.