Spoiler free reviews

Started by Paul (ral), Tue, 2 Aug 2016, 15:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 14 Aug  2016, 22:28Critics lost their ability to sway me long ago. If it wasn't before 2013, it was by that summer with some of the nonsensical criticisms geared towards MOS. Why was Lois on Zod's ship with Superman? It's explained IN THE MOVIE! Once I realized how pretentious most were, I waved bye-bye to the critics. The fallout from BvS did nothing but validate my stance in continuing to steer clear of the critical hive mind approach.

I heard about the negative reviews prior to me actually seeing the movie, but like MOS/BvS, I ignored the onslaught and went in with an open mind, and left reasonably satisfied. Didn't love it, wasn't blown away by it, didn't think it was the worst movie of all time either. I had fun with it.
I'm sorry, but despite that was explained, it wasn't explained. It was justified. And that justification is nonsense and has no purpose because her being brought there doesn't help their purpose at all. The movie does that a lot. It explains things with nonsense. And yeah, there's a hive mind with some of several kinds of movie's detractors, but the fans have a hive mind too. They defend something using the same defense, even if that doesn't connect to the statement being made against it.

I liked the movie fine. But it had several problems. It's not a good sign for me when I'm already trying to figure out how I think a movie should have been done instead of what was done. Will Smith was good. Viola Davis was good most of the time, but she very rarely seemed disconnected from the role. Jay Fernandez's character was good for me. Harley was weaker as a character than she should have been, but the actress wasn't really the problem there, though there were moments that seemed forced. Everyone else was solid. But the Joker here is pretty lame. Performance is a little off key, but the writing pretty much loses it. With better characterization, the performance wouldn't have been a real stickler. This doesn't feel like a movie though. It feels written with disconnection between the first maybe 30 mins or more and the rest of the movie. There's very clearly an issue with the movie trying to reconcile itself between being Guardians Of The Galaxy and Batman v Superman in basic tone. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

Quote from: Dagenspear on Mon, 15 Aug  2016, 10:08
I'm sorry, but despite that was explained, it wasn't explained. It was justified. And that justification is nonsense and has no purpose because her being brought there doesn't help their purpose at all.

Sure it does.

Lois was exposed by the media for knowing Superman's true identity, right? You do remember this scene, hopefully. Subsequently, she fled her apartment, and was picked up by the military, right? This is exactly why Lois was even there to be invited to the ship by Faora to begin with, the military was keeping her close by for any alien related matters. Hence, Lois being there for the interrogation scene. Zod, who obviously was made aware of the broadcast in which Lois was outed, demanded that Lois be brought aboard his ship for intel and or mind reading that could be useful against Superman. Pretty simple, Lois was backup. They want the codex, she knows Superman, sooo ... she might know where the codex is. That's the idea. Later on in the film, following Lois being saved from the escape pod by Superman, she even reveals that Zod's crew did infact try getting information out of her by reading her mind.

It's all right there provided for you. Just put the cheese and whine down, and pay attention.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Mon, 15 Aug  2016, 17:44Sure it does.

Lois was exposed by the media for knowing Superman's true identity, right? You do remember this scene, hopefully. Subsequently, she fled her apartment, and was picked up by the military, right? This is exactly why Lois was even there to be invited to the ship by Faora to begin with, the military was keeping her close by for any alien related matters. Hence, Lois being there for the interrogation scene. Zod, who obviously was made aware of the broadcast in which Lois was outed, demanded that Lois be brought aboard his ship for intel and or mind reading that could be useful against Superman. Pretty simple, Lois was backup. They want the codex, she knows Superman, sooo ... she might know where the codex is. That's the idea. Later on in the film, following Lois being saved from the escape pod by Superman, she even reveals that Zod's crew did infact try getting information out of her by reading her mind.

It's all right there provided for you. Just put the cheese and whine down, and pay attention.
I know all of that. And it doesn't help them, like I said. She's taken so they can extract something from her and they can't, because she doesn't know anything, so her being taken was pointless. She's taken to justify her being there so she can be a plot device and the movie can pretend she's not a damsel in distress. This is what I mean, the same defenses are used, even when someone points out that it isn't that problem. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

Quote from: Dagenspear on Mon, 15 Aug  2016, 23:05
I know all of that. And it doesn't help them, like I said. She's taken so they can extract something from her and they can't, because she doesn't know anything, so her being taken was pointless. She's taken to justify her being there so she can be a plot device and the movie can pretend she's not a damsel in distress. This is what I mean, the same defenses are used, even when someone points out that it isn't that problem. Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

You do realize that this kind of logic that can be applied to pretty much any movie made. "Why did they take Lois on board when she didn't know anything?" Narratively speaking, exactly how or why was Zod supposed to know this? That's like saying, "Why didn't the prison guards take down Tim Robbins' poster off the wall before he escaped Shawshank Prison? Shouldn't they have known?" Uh, why would they?!? Can we also bring up plot devices, and/or plot holes (which doesn't apply to Lois on Zod's ship) that has been showcased in the Marvel cinematic universe, Jurassic Park, Toy Story, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, Titanic, E.T., and scores of other movies while we're at it?

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Once again, The Joker is right. God bless you, sir.

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 16 Aug  2016, 01:27You do realize that this kind of logic that can be applied to pretty much any movie made. "Why did they take Lois on board when she didn't know anything?" Narratively speaking, exactly how or why was Zod supposed to know this? That's like saying, "Why didn't the prison guards take down Tim Robbins' poster off the wall before he escaped Shawshank Prison? Shouldn't they have known?" Uh, why would they?!? Can we also bring up plot devices, and/or plot holes (which doesn't apply to Lois on Zod's ship) that has been showcased in the Marvel cinematic universe, Jurassic Park, Toy Story, Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, Titanic, E.T., and scores of other movies while we're at it?
I don't know about the other movies, but with Shawshank Redemption, that's a logic hole more than anything, which isn't what I was talking about. If they're going to take her, the least the movie could do is give a real reason why they have to take her. Not a justification to get her on the ship so the movie can pretend she's not a damsel in distress. Lois has no reason to be taken. It's purposeless, and kinda senseless. On the flip side of your argument, there's no reason to take her when they can extract everything from Clark. A good way would be for them to be able to extract where the farm is from Lois, but only extract the image of the farm itself from Clark.

Quote from: Dagenspear on Tue, 16 Aug  2016, 03:33
I don't know about the other movies, but with Shawshank Redemption, that's a logic hole more than anything, which isn't what I was talking about.

It is when arguments like; "She's taken so they can extract something from her and they can't, because she doesn't know anything, so her being taken was pointless." are brought forth. That's like assuming the characters in the film, would somehow know everything that the viewer does.

QuoteIf they're going to take her, the least the movie could do is give a real reason why they have to take her. Not a justification to get her on the ship so the movie can pretend she's not a damsel in distress. Lois has no reason to be taken. It's purposeless, and kinda senseless. On the flip side of your argument, there's no reason to take her when they can extract everything from Clark. A good way would be for them to be able to extract where the farm is from Lois, but only extract the image of the farm itself from Clark.

Again, how would they be aware that she doesn't know anything? They wouldn't. Lois being exposed as knowing Superman automatically makes her a person of interest for Zod. Just as it did the military. It's all set up. If Superman's not aware, or doesn't know, perhaps she does? Makes alot more sense to go ahead and cross your t's and dot your i's than to inexplicably chance having to seek her out later. Plus, the last thing Zod's crew would have expected, would be the Jor-El AI taking control of the ship, giving Lois valuable information, and assisting her escape. Actually, to further elaborate, it is later revealed that the vessels Zod and his army are using possess a "Phantom Drive", and thanks to Lois, who is knowledgeable of the situation thanks to the Jor-El AI, along with Hardy and Hamilton, ultimately cause a cataclysmic reaction that quickly creates a small singularity, effectively returning Zod's ship and his people into the Phantom Zone.

Not bad for a simple damsel in distress, huh?

Just because you personally don't like the execution doesn't mean it's purposeless.

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 16 Aug  2016, 04:13
Again, how would they be aware that she doesn't know anything? They wouldn't. Lois being exposed as knowing Superman automatically makes her a person of interest for Zod. Just as it did the military. It's all set up. If Superman's not aware, or doesn't know, perhaps she does? Makes alot more sense to go ahead and cross your t's and dot your i's than to inexplicably chance having to seek her out later. Plus, the last thing Zod's crew would have expected, would be the Jor-El AI taking control of the ship, giving Lois valuable information, and assisting her escape. Actually, to further elaborate, it is later revealed that the vessels Zod and his army are using possess a "Phantom Drive", and thanks to Lois, who is knowledgeable of the situation thanks to the Jor-El AI, along with Hardy and Hamilton, ultimately cause a cataclysmic reaction that quickly creates a small singularity, effectively returning Zod's ship and his people into the Phantom Zone.

Not bad for a simple damsel in distress, huh?

Let's remember another thing: aside from knowing crucial information in defeating Zod and company, she held her own when she shot back at her captives before making her escape from the Black Zero ship. That's less damsel in distress and more badass.  8)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 16 Aug  2016, 13:53
Let's remember another thing: aside from knowing crucial information in defeating Zod and company, she held her own when she shot back at her captives before making her escape from the Black Zero ship. That's less damsel in distress and more badass.  8)

That's true!

Wed, 17 Aug 2016, 10:35 #39 Last Edit: Wed, 17 Aug 2016, 10:41 by The Dark Knight
Edit: Wrong thread