The Shining to The Joker

Started by Bobthegoon89, Mon, 12 Nov 2012, 21:38

Previous topic - Next topic
Most fans will know it was the success of Beetlejuice which led to both Tim Burton and Michael Keaton being greenlit to bring Batman to the screen. For Jack Nicholson could it have been horror classic The Shining?

This is one of my favourite horror films and recently I watched it during Halloween. Reportedly Bob Kane illustrated the Joker's face over a picture of Nicholson. I'm guessing he used the "Here's Johnny!!!" moment. That a perfect Joker grimace. Plus it was the film's poster and (up until Batman itself of course!) was the most recognisable image of Jack.

There is even a humourous/chilling moment in which, while chatting with Lloyd the ghostly barman of the Overlook Hotel, Jack lets out a terrific Joker howl of laughter straight into camera. It's pretty much the same Joker laughter heard in an equally chilling scene in Batman (after he mocks the now fried Rotelli). If this moment didn't convince the crew he had the clown prince of crime's famous giggling I don't know what did.

I guess his "star power" was the main reason but I truly think without The Shining the blueprint of Jack Napier would never have been set as we ultimately got.

Others are better versed than me in Batman movie history, but I remember reading somewhere that Nicholson was considered from much earlier stages of development - from Mankiewicz "The Batman" (1983) script, and apart from star power, maybe his performance in the Shining had something to do with it. This scene with the bartender is very Joker-like indeed. Great movie, never read the novel itself, but never get tired of watching it when in horror mood.

When did Jack Nicholson really become THE Jack Nicholson, with his iconic screen "madness"? Was it Cuckoo's Nest?

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Mon, 12 Nov  2012, 21:38
Reportedly Bob Kane illustrated the Joker's face over a picture of Nicholson. I'm guessing he used the "Here's Johnny!!!" moment. That a perfect Joker grimace.

It was Michael Uslan

Hi all, this is a great post  :)
I agree about The Shining being a main factor for considering Nicholson the Heere's Johnny shot is iconic in itself and a great example of a Joker slasher smile. Also the howling he gives in the "Hi Lloyd, pretty slow tonight isn't?" scene is another great attribute as it is also an example of Jack's 'crazy persona' which he had pretty cemented by the time The Shining was released.

Looking at One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, this was a perfect precursor to his performance as the Joker e.g. the laughing, the jumping around and of course the deck of cards. I also think Jack was perfect to play the Joker at the time of cuckoo's nest's release.
My balloons. Those are my balloons. HE STOLE MY BALLOONS!

Ah I see so it was Mike Uslan who illustrated The Joker?

On the subject of Cuckoos Nest it seems that film has a few Batman connections not least of course Nicholson sharing the screen with a certain Danny Devito! Not for the last time either. I've always found it amusing at how many times the Batman stars have worked together...but on other movies. Keaton met Chris O' Donnell in one flick who's title escapes me. And then we have Michelle Pfeiffer and Jack in things like Wolf and The Witches of Eastwick. And Devito and Jack again in Mars Attacks. Oh and let's not forget (or let's do depending on your view of those movies) Devito meeting Arnie himself in Twins.

There is even a kinda forgotten comedy I love called The Dream Team starring Michael Keaton which is basically based on Cuckoos Nest. Not only does it have Keaton playing a seemingly Nicholson type character it even stars Cuckoos Nest's (and Back to the Future's no less) Christopher Lloyd. Ah, the weird twists and turns of movie connections lol

For those interested in reading The Shining as a novel while I'd recommend it certainly (it's Stephen King how could you not) I have to say you may be disappointed. It's so different from the movie and Nicholson's character has a totally different feel. I believe King himself hated the movie and had a deep dislike of Jack Nicholson's involvement wanting (ironically enough) Jack's own boss in Batman....Jack Palance for the part! The movie is an extremely rare example of a film that bests the source material. I was disappointed to find some of my favourite creepiest moments were not invented by King such as the "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy". Even the famous hedge maze is missing. I've read several King books now including IT and many film based ideas are unfortunately not originated in his pages. But with Salem's Lot you can't go wrong. Feels just like the movie lol

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Tue, 13 Nov  2012, 15:01
Ah I see so it was Mike Uslan who illustrated The Joker?

On the subject of Cuckoos Nest it seems that film has a few Batman connections not least of course Nicholson sharing the screen with a certain Danny Devito! Not for the last time either. I've always found it amusing at how many times the Batman stars have worked together...but on other movies. Keaton met Chris O' Donnell in one flick who's title escapes me. And then we have Michelle Pfeiffer and Jack in things like Wolf and The Witches of Eastwick. And Devito and Jack again in Mars Attacks. Oh and let's not forget (or let's do depending on your view of those movies) Devito meeting Arnie himself in Twins.

The Organ Grinder was in Cuckoo's Nest too. Or Mr. Freeze having Bob the Goon as a comedic sidekick in an age undreamed of. Like Star Wars and Hammer, those connections are fun.

Well I can 1up you further there SilentEnigma  ;D

How about Mathilda, a Roald Dahl adaptation directed by Devito in which he meets his own father....Paul Reubens (Tucker Cobblepot) playing an FBI agent out to catch him. Who in turn is assisted by none other than.....? Bob the goon himself!

Ah! Can you hear the sound of the Batcomputer circuitry frazzling with all these threads? lol

Quote from: Bobthegoon89 on Tue, 13 Nov  2012, 15:01
For those interested in reading The Shining as a novel while I'd recommend it certainly (it's Stephen King how could you not) I have to say you may be disappointed. It's so different from the movie and Nicholson's character has a totally different feel. I believe King himself hated the movie and had a deep dislike of Jack Nicholson's involvement wanting (ironically enough) Jack's own boss in Batman....Jack Palance for the part!

Never heard of King wanting Jack Palance in the part. But that doesn't mean anything I guess. As I recently read an article stating that King wanted Richard Dreyfuss! Either way, both actors would have certainly delivered a much different performance than that of Jack Nicholson. But, as a fan of the film, I think Kubrick got it right. :)

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/23171/the-lasting-impact-of-stanley-kubrick%E2%80%99s-the-shining

QuoteThe movie is an extremely rare example of a film that bests the source material. I was disappointed to find some of my favourite creepiest moments were not invented by King such as the "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy". Even the famous hedge maze is missing. I've read several King books now including IT and many film based ideas are unfortunately not originated in his pages.

Sometimes that happens. Alot of people say JAWS the film easily bests the novel, Psycho would be another that falls into this category, The Godfather and others as well. In addition, I believe King is even quoted to saying that the film adaptation of 'The Mist', especially the ending, is superior than what he came up with. So it's not out of the question that the film version can deviate from the source material, and actually improve upon it. The problem with King's book 'The Shining', is that it's essentially a straight up ghost story. Which works for what it is. Kubrick's film, however, takes that extra step and presents ALOT of subtext to the story. Presenting the viewer with scenes that can easily be perceived as having hidden meanings, with not everything being spelled out and fully explained.

It's unfortunate King's negative stance on Kubrick's version, and though I look forward to reading the sequel to his book, 'Doctor Sleep', the Kubrick film will always be more interesting to me when it comes to 'The Shining'.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."