Prince songs B-sides

Started by GBglide, Fri, 23 Apr 2010, 00:18

Previous topic - Next topic
On the B-sides of 45' Batman records there were several songs that didn't make it onto the Prince soundtrack.

I Love U In Me, 200 Balloons, and Feel U Up.

Has anyone here listened to them, and are there any opinions?

Of those three, I really like 200 Balloons, but I can see why Trust was used for the parade scene instead.

Not keen on I Love U In Me, but Feel You Up and 200 Balloons are great tracks.

On a related note have you ever heard Dance With The Devil? It was the song that was dropped from the album in favour of Batdance and it's fantastic. Much darker than any of the other songs on the released album.
"Excuse me. You ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

Quote from: PJ on Sat, 24 Apr  2010, 09:42
have you ever heard Dance With The Devil? It was the song that was dropped from the album in favour of Batdance and it's fantastic. Much darker than any of the other songs on the released album.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Really a shame it wasn't included.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

On a related note have you ever heard Dance With The Devil? It was the song that was dropped from the album in favour of Batdance and it's fantastic. Much darker than any of the other songs on the released album.

Could you point me in the proper direction to hear the song?

Sat, 24 Apr 2010, 18:24 #4 Last Edit: Sat, 24 Apr 2010, 21:10 by ral
post edited...

[Sorry guys - I have no problem with what is disclosed in PM's but we can't really allow distribution of copyrighted material on the forum.

Thanks - ral]

My mistake guys and gals - thanks Ral!

OK I am just copying this from a post I did a couple of years ago, but thought it might help I.D. any other B-Sides.

"A couple of months ago, I complied a list for my own personal special edition of this CD where I would take all the singles and the B-sides put them on a 2 (more likely 3) CD set.  The list looks like this (aside from the studio release):

(1) BATDANCE

1. Batdance (Edit) 4:06
2. 200 Ballons 5:05
3. Batdance (Album) 6:13
4. Batdance (The Batmix) 7:15
5. Batdance (Vicky Vale Mix) 5:55
6. Batdance (The Batmix Edit) 4:09
7. Batdance (Vicky Vale Mix Edit) 4:13
8. Batdance (The Batmix Radio Edit) 4:09*
9. Batdance (Vicky Vale Mix Radio Edit) 4:13*

*I think these are the same as The Batmix Edit and Vick Vale Mix Edit. Still waiting for a conformation on this.

(2) PARTYMAN

1. Partyman 3:11
2. Feel U Up (Short Stroke) 3:44
3. Partyman (The Purple Party Mix) 6:02
4. Partyman (Partyman Music Mix) 4:31
5. Partyman (The Video Mix) 6:20
6. Feel U Up (Long Stroke) 6:28
7. Partyman (The Video Mix Edit) 5:40

(3) THE ARMS OF ORION

1. The Arms of Orion (Album) 5:03
2. I Love U In Me 4:12
3. The Arms of Orion (Edit) 3:52

(4) SCANDALOUS

1. Scandalous! (Edit) 4:12
2. When 2 R In Love 3:58
3. The Crime 6:25
4. The Passion 6:20
5. The Rapture 6:30
6. Sex (The 80s Are Over And The Time Has Come 4 Monogamy And Trust)
6:56

(5) THE FUTURE

1. The Future (Remix Edit) 3:30
2. Electric Chair (Album) 4:13
3. The Future (Remix) 6:25
4. Electric Chair (Remix) 5:36

(6) TRUST

1. Trust (Album) 4:23

(7) UNRELEASED/MISC.

1. Dance With The Devil 7:54 (This was the song Prince took off the album at the last minute and repleaced it with Batdance.)
2. Batdance 8:55 (A longer remix with delted scene dialouge mixed in it)
3. Rave Un 2 The Joy Fantastic
4. Still Would Stand All Time
The last two songs appear on his other works, but were going to be used on the Batman album before they got rejected and replaced with other tunes."

And no, to answer your question I never got the box set finished, nor is it anywhere near complete.  However, if you got something to contribute, trade, whatever -  let me know.

Not keen on I Love U In Me, but Feel You Up and 200 Balloons are great tracks.

No, I've never heard Dance With The Devil.

I was looking for Dance with the devil, i think you can listen to it on youtube.
My balloons. Those are my balloons. HE STOLE MY BALLOONS!

Dance with the Devil (which also has a soundbite of Pat Hingle) is a great song that should have been included. Prince I think should have ditched Lemon Crush in place of it.

I kinda like I Love U in Me. I bought the picture disc of Partyman (without it's sleeve) from a shop for just £1 when I was a kid and it featured Feel U Up as a b-side. Sadly we never had a record player so I only played it the once back in the late nineties. Years later youtube came along and I finally got to listen to the video mix of Partyman and this b-side again. Feel U Up is tremendously catchy with his squeaky vocals.

The version of Vicki Waiting on the Batman album is not the version heard in the movie. You can hear the movie version faintly in the background of the Wayne party when Alfred first appears (along with Electric Chair). The movie version is better and was once available on youtube but has recently been deleted.

There's no deleted scene dialogue in the extended version of Batdance.