Favorite movies of the 2010's?

Started by The Joker, Fri, 3 Jan 2020, 05:40

Previous topic - Next topic
Fri, 3 Jan 2020, 05:40 Last Edit: Sat, 7 Mar 2020, 06:31 by The Joker
Now that the decade of the 2010's are over, what are your fave movies of films from 2010 to 2019?

2010: The Town, The Fighter, True Grit, Tron: Legacy, Iron Man 2, Piranah 3D.

2011: Limitless, X-Men: First Class, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Real Steel, Drive, Warrior.

2012: Prometheus, Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spider-Man, Expendables 2, The Master, Dredd, Argo, Flight, Skyfall, Life of Pi, Hitchcock, Django Unchained.

2013: Evil Dead (remake), Man of Steel, The Wolverine, Monsters, Dallas Buyers Club, American Hustle, Her, Wolf of Wall Street.

2014: Godzilla, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Edge of Tomorrow, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Sin City 2 (well, the Eva Green parts anyways), Gone Girl, Birdman, John Wick, Nightcrawler, Interstellar, The Gambler.

2015: Chappie, Mad Max: Fury Road, Jurassic World, Straight Outta Compton, Pawn Sacrifice, 99 Homes, Spectre, Legend, Creed, In the Heart of the Sea.

2016: 10 Cloverfield Lane, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, The Jungle Book (live action), The Shallows, Suicide Squad, War Dogs, Rogue One, The Founder, Shin Godzilla.

2017: Split. Logan, Kong Skull Island, Life, Wonder Woman, War for the Planet of the Apes, IT: Chapter One, Blade Runner 2049, Professor Marston and the Wonder Women, My Friend Dahmer, I Tonya.

2018: Death Wish (remake), Mission Impossible Fallout, The Meg, Venom, The Grinch, Creed 2, The Mule, Bumblebee.

2019: Glass, Dumbo, John Wick 3, Godzilla King of the Monsters, Crawl, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Rambo Last Blood, Joker, Doctor Sleep.

Might have missed a few, other movies I like/liked, but don't find myself revisiting. So I didn't list them, and some are there due to a good theater experience, and not solely on the overall quality of the movie itself. 

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

According to my IMDb account, I've rated around 500 titles from the past decade. However there are still many, many films I've yet to see. In particular, I've really fallen behind on the major award movies in the last two years. I usually try to keep up with those, but I just haven't had time lately. I still haven't even seen Joker!

I'm going to list my top ten films for each year of the past decade, mixing personal favourites with films I think are objectively good and listing them in no particular order, except for 2018 and 2019, where I'll just list five films I enjoyed from each year. I'll also choose a "worst film" and "most overrated film" from each year (except 2018 and 2019). This is a mix of subjective and objective picks, and it will probably change over time as I see more films from the past ten years. But for now, here we go. Once again, the films for each year are listed in no particular order.

•   True Grit
•   Inception
•   Arrietty
•   The Town
•   The Fighter
•   Shutter Island
•   The Expendables
•   Toy Story 3
•   Batman: Under the Red Hood
•   The King's Speech
(Honourable Mentions: Tron Legacy, Monsters, Tangled)

Worst Film of the Year: A Nightmare on Elm Street

Most Overrated Film of the Year: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (I usually like Edgar Wright films, but something about this one just rubbed me the wrong way)

•   Samsara
•   Drive
•   The Cabin in the Woods
•   The Artist
•   Warrior
•   The Raid: Redemption
•   Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
•   Captain America: The First Avenger
•   Mission Impossible – Ghost Protocol
•   Rise of the Planet of the Apes
(Honourable Mentions: The Grey, Source Code, The Tree of Life, The Help, The Iron Lady)

Worst Film of the Year: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Most Overrated Film of the Year: Shame

•   Argo
•   The Dark Knight Rises
•   Chronicle
•   Zero Dark Thirty
•   Looper
•   Get the Gringo
•   Emperor
•   The Expendables 2
•   Django Unchained
•   The Avengers
(Honourable Mentions: Quartet, End of Watch, Frozen – mainly because my niece loves it, Prometheus)

Worst Film of the Year: Can't think of any truly terrible movies that stood out

Most Overrated Film of the Year: Lincoln

•   The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
•   Gravity
•   The Wind Rises
•   Prisoners
•   Captain Phillips
•   Saving Mr Banks
•   The Conjuring
•   Milius
•   Escape Plan
•   American Hustle
(Honourable Mentions: 12 Years a Slave, Fruitvale Station, Oblivion, The World's End)

Worst Film of the Year: Movie 43

Most Overrated Film of the Year: Blue is the Warmest Colour

2014 (best year of the decade for movies IMHO)

•   Nightcrawler
•   Whiplash
•   Interstellar
•   Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
•   Edge of Tomorrow
•   American Sniper
•   The Babadook
•   Fury
•   Captain America: The Winter Soldier
•   Big Hero 6
(Honourable Mentions: John Wick, Black Sea, It Follows, Twin Peaks: The Missing Pieces, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Birdman, Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Canon Films)

Worst Film of the Year: 300: Rise of an Empire

Most Overrated Film of the Year: Boyhood

•   The Martian
•   Sicario
•   Creed
•   Eye in the Sky
•   Mad Max: Fury Road
•   Ex Machina
•   Bridge of Spies
•   Bone Tomahawk
•   Mission Impossible – Rogue Nation
•   Shaun the Sheep Movie
(Honourable Mentions: Southpaw, Turbo Kid, Room)

Worst Film of the Year: Terminator Genisys

Most Overrated Film of the Year: Jurassic World

•   Hacksaw Ridge
•   The Founder
•   Arrival
•   Silence
•   Hidden Figures
•   Sully
•   La La Land
•   Split
•   Patriots Day
•   Risen
(Honourable Mentions: Captain America: Civil War, Kubo and the Two Strings, Finding Dory, The Nice Guys, The Jungle Book)

Worst Film of the Year: The Purge: Election Year

Most Overrated Film of the Year: Love & Friendship

•   Blade Runner 2049
•   Dunkirk
•   John Wick: Chapter 2
•   Paddington 2
•   Brawl in Cell Block 99
•   War for the Planet of the Apes
•   Logan
•   Only the Brave
•   Wonder Woman
•   Darkest Hour
(Honourable Mentions: 1922, Ghost Stories, Get Out)

Worst Film of the Year: Rings

Most Overrated Film of the Year: Star Wars – Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Most of the films I've seen from 2018 and 2019 haven't really impressed me, and there are still plenty of big hitters from those years that I've yet to see. So for now I'll just list five films I enjoyed.

•   They Shall Not Grow Old
•   A Quiet Place
•   Prospect
•   Creed II
•   Mission Impossible – Fallout

•   Apollo 11
•   The Irishman
•   Toy Story 4
•   I Am Mother
•   John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

Completely forgot about Warrior in my 2011 rankings. Good call, SN.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."