Max Fleischer's Superman

Started by Slash Man, Sat, 3 Jan 2015, 05:42

Previous topic - Next topic
I was never really a huge fan of this series, mainly because I was really young when I watched it (used to have an episode on VHS). Though it was groundbreaking to say the least, I thought to revisit it sometime.

Now, to give some backstory, I don't understand copyright laws, though I know that they were sketchy at best back in the day. Sadly, this has allowed countless films to fall into public domain. I've seen this commonly spell the downfall of classics with the flood of inferior releases that can now legally flood the market. Usually, this discourages the original company from releasing it themselves due, seeing it as no longer financially viable. But DC has risen above. By chance, I found a DVD containing the complete series that didn't look like sh*t. The official seal of DC was never a more welcome sight. Turns out they do have their own official release, and it should be the ONLY option for fans due to it coming from the original 35 mm master. $5 was a steal (they had it at Five Below, though it originally went at $26).

I'm going to go through the series and post back with how well it stood the test of time. There was even an attempt at bonus features, so clearly DC took great care with this release.

I loved these Superman cartoons when I was little.

Sun, 4 Jan 2015, 05:51 #2 Last Edit: Wed, 7 Jan 2015, 04:02 by Slash Man
Alright, the quality of the show itself and the DVD transfer are on par. The original aspect ratio is preserved, the colors are vibrant, and the animation is clear. The sound is also great.

It's strange to see how much this show not only influenced all superhero shows to come, but animation in general. Honestly, this was made at the perfect time. We get an interesting look at early Superman brought to life, and the animation still dazzles. Both the Golden Age of comics and animation is represented here. At this time in animation, the influence of the Fleischers was probably second only to Disney himself. The animation is gorgeous to look at, such detail and finesse is unheard of in animation today. The voice acting is good, and even amusing at times. The orchestral score is what binds it all together.

The plots are pretty simple and similar, which is fine considering the runtime, as well as the fact that they were theatrical shorts and not intended to be viewed as a linear story back-to-back. Lois Lane is a pretty interesting character. Wouldn't say she's a complete damsel in distress; sometimes she gets out there and helps Superman. She has no fear of danger, but sometimes she lacks common sense in the name of journalism. And other times, she just has the worst luck ever when the bad guys end up kidnapping her.

Haven't fully explored the bonus features, but the presentation of the features could be greatly improved by a main menu. Oh well.

EDIT: It does have a main menu, my DVD player must just be goofy

I've been watching these shorts over the weekend for the first time in twenty-odd years. Superman may have evolved since the 1940s, but this was my first exposure to Superman growing up, and I have always loved it. A detail I love about the series is the majority of the shorts is set in film noir. I've read somewhere Bruce Timm said the Fleischer shorts was a major influence in creating BTAS, and you can definitely see it.

The stories are be straightforward and formulaic, but I love how the series embraces Superman's badass approach. It doesn't matter who he fights - whether it's robots, monsters, gansgters, thieves, Japanese soldiers or Nazis; Superman doesn't hold back any punches. Literally. He will put you down if you get in his way. A great example in the episode Eleventh Hour, where he sabotages all of the Imperial Japanese Army's ships and weapons without breaking a sweat, and beating up all the soldiers while stopping their assassination attempts on Lois. It may be WWII propaganda, but if you want to turn off your brain and watch Superman kick ass, this is for you.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

The Mad Scientist is one of the greatest Superman anything there's ever been.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 16 Sep  2018, 13:24
I saw The Mad Scientist as a youngster. It's a short piece but it says a lot about Superman. He works at a newspaper, has a love interest, has a secret life, is incredibly strong and never gives up against overwhelming obstacles. The music and the visuals were both great. So what's the lesson here? To nail the bare essentials. Do the simple things well and you will have a good product. Not many films do that anymore, and it shows.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon, 24 Sep  2018, 01:27
Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sun, 16 Sep  2018, 13:24
I saw The Mad Scientist as a youngster. It's a short piece but it says a lot about Superman. He works at a newspaper, has a love interest, has a secret life, is incredibly strong and never gives up against overwhelming obstacles. The music and the visuals were both great. So what's the lesson here? To nail the bare essentials. Do the simple things well and you will have a good product. Not many films do that anymore, and it shows.
I agree. It does nail quite a few crucial elements of Superman. I find it telling that Lois not only knows how to fly a plane but apparently has one of her own. But nitpicky stuff aside, The Mad Scientist is quintessential Golden Age Superman.

I really have a affinity for this series growing up as a kid. Like alot of other people, I first viewed some episodes on cheap VHS tapes that my cousins had, with only a few selected episodes. "The Mad Scientist", which is nothing short of outstanding, being the most common. I think I was either in 4th or 5th grade when I finally got a VHS of my own from a local dollar store. Superman was a must have, Popeye and Mighty Mouse were the other's I remember picking up as well. Reason I remember, is because I watched the hell out of them.  ;)

Then I think it was only a few years later, that my Mom decided to surprise me over the summer with a VHS 3 volume box set of the Max Fleischer Superman toons that contained every episode. A very nice surprise to say the least, and I distinctly remember the quality being better (maybe only slightly more than marginally better) than any other VHS version I ever laid eyes on. But the appeal for me, more than anything, was being able to finally watch the entire series. Which was definitely a novelty during this time period.

To this day, I am not sure where she got the set from? It wasn't anything I recall seeing at any Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or Target that was local to us, and I would like to think I kept a sharp eye, especially back then, on such things. I have a vague recollection of her saying she ordered the set, so it might have been something from a book club that, in addition, offered VHS tapes as well. But that's just a guess. I took the time to do a transfer from these VHS tapes to DVD when I got a DVD recorder/burner around 2004. Then Warners released an official complete series, and that was a "must buy" as well.

But yeah, "Mad Scientist" is the classic. "Mechanical Monsters" is alot of fun. I really liked when I finally saw, "The Arctic Giant", and "Terror on the Midway" due to my love for giant monsters. "Volcano" has some great visuals. "Japoteurs" captures that place in time during WW2, similar to the 1943 Batman serial, that I find both fascinating to watch, and dig. I even liked the imposter Superman story line in "Showdown". The list goes on and on .....  :)

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 05:54 #8 Last Edit: Thu, 27 Sep 2018, 06:08 by The Joker
Double post

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 27 Sep  2018, 05:52

I really have a affinity for this series growing up as a kid. Like alot of other people, I first viewed some episodes on cheap VHS tapes that my cousins had, with only a few selected episodes. "The Mad Scientist", which is nothing short of outstanding, being the most common. I think I was either in 4th or 5th grade when I finally got a VHS of my own from a local dollar store. Superman was a must have, Popeye and Mighty Mouse were the other's I remember picking up as well. Reason I remember, is because I watched the hell out of them.  ;)

I still have the VHS copy for most of the episodes after all these years, but I lost the sleeve a long time ago. Back when I was younger, I used to watch that and Looney Tunes, with a little bit of Popeye and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  8)

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 27 Sep  2018, 05:52
I even liked the imposter Superman story line in "Showdown". The list goes on and on .....  :)

Showdown was good.

My favourite little one liner in that series came from that episode, where Clark sees the Superman imposter and says "My double is in for some trouble". Including the ending, where Lois tells Clark he'd make a fine Superman after he told her (or rather, lied to her) he was dreaming about being him, and Clark quips "Well, I can dream, can't I?"...before he wears the tuxedo hat he squashed and it suddenly pops back into shape. A classy little wink to the audience.  ;)
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei