Batman Begins Comic Influences

Started by BatmAngelus, Sat, 19 Jul 2008, 20:58

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Darrell Kaiser on Wed, 23 Jul  2008, 04:29
What about Batman Forever's Comic Influences?

go look at the 70's comics and you'll see all of that there.

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

I always enjoy these comic influence insights.

I watched Begins today, the first time in quite a while actually, and while I prefer TDK of course, I was reminded how much I like Begins. It's a great film, and BB and TDK really feel together as one large film. The ending with Gordon handing over the Joker card is just a perfect lead in to the next film. Can't wait for Nolan's third.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Tue, 16 Dec  2008, 12:12
I always enjoy these comic influence insights.

I watched Begins today, the first time in quite a while actually, and while I prefer TDK of course, I was reminded how much I like Begins. It's a great film, and BB and TDK really feel together as one large film. The ending with Gordon handing over the Joker card is just a perfect lead in to the next film. Can't wait for Nolan's third.
you are 100% right there my friend!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Thu, 28 Jul 2011, 15:43 #13 Last Edit: Thu, 28 Jul 2011, 15:53 by GothamAlleys
Any chance for TDK comic influences? And  B&R?

Excellent, excellent. I was making a list and looking up all the references in all the movies, and then I came here and noticed that not only you guys found all the stuff I did, but you found at least 3 times more. Awesome stuff

Michael Uslan stated in his memoir that this old tank-like Batmobile could have been an inspiration for the Tumbler as well:
http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/11/21/old-comic-possibly-reveals-nolans-inspiration-for-batmobile.html
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Also, I think there's a certain similarity of Batman and Ra's fight on the train with a train scene in Knightfall (the issue when AzBats finally defeats Bane)

I just posted in the TDK influences about this issue

QuoteI was flicking through some Batman Adventures comics today and saw the first issue had something that was striking...

It came out in 2003, based on the New Batman Adventures cartoon

The Society of Shadows break into Arkham...though not to free the inmates

I've just realised I haven't added anything to this thread. It's high time I made a contribution. First of all, here's the scene BatmAngelus mentioned from Batman: Shaman (1989-90) where Bruce returns to Wayne Manor and tells Alfred he's back for good.

The movie adapts a few elements from Batman: Prey (1990-91). One example would be the scene of Batman talking to Gordon on the fire escape outside his apartment. Note Batman telling Gordon he doesn't have to thank him.

Gordon looks away for a second, then turns back and sees Batman has vanished.

This comic also shows Batman wielding shuriken-style batarangs rather than the traditional boomerang version.

Bruce's arrival at the League of Shadows' headquarters is visually similar to his arrival at Kirigi's house in 'The Wall' (Batman #431, March 1989). In both stories these scenes are flashbacks showing Bruce arriving at the home of a master he hopes will train him. Kirigi, the ninja who trains Bruce in the comic, had also taught members of the League of Assassins.

Bruce's training with the League of Shadows is somewhat similar to the retraining he undergoes during KnightsEnd (1994). In both stories he is tutored by a criminal (Ra's/Lady Shiva) in the ways of the ninja. One scene in particular is more or less identical to a scene from the comic, where Ra's instructs Bruce to execute a captive criminal.

But of course Bruce refuses.

That's all I can think of for now.