New Animated show coming to HBO Max

Started by Travesty, Wed, 19 May 2021, 14:10

Previous topic - Next topic
Looks like Bruce Timm, Matt Reeves and JJ Abrams are coming out with a new animated show on HBO Max. Sounds good except for the JJ part, but oh well. lol

He's got the longer ears here. Looks like Bob Kane's oldschool Batman design.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1395012888235061256?s=20

Here's the description:

"The series will be thrilling, cinematic and evocative of Batman's noir roots, while diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters. We cannot wait to share this new world."

"Utilizing state-of-the-art animation techniques and technologies available, this powerful creative partnership will once again reinvent Batman and his iconic rogue's gallery with sophisticated storytelling, nuanced characters and intense action sequences all set in a visually striking world."

This sounds amazing!  8)

The concept is great - taking the spirit of BTAS and merging it with the early comics, creating something new rather than a direct continuation. I'm happy about that. The JJ influence gives me pause, but the addition of Timm and Reeves has to mean something. Anything noir or psychology based is going to raise my interest.

The avalanche keeps getting bigger:

The Batman
GCPD
Batman: Caped Crusader
The Flash
Batman '89
Batman: Earth One Volume 3
The Long Halloween Parts 1 and 2
Gotham Knights

WB have gone all in with Reeves. His influence is shaping up to be larger than that of Nolan.

Yeah, Reeves' influence is going to be huge/

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 19 May  2021, 15:04
Yeah, Reeves' influence is going to be huge/
We have a ton of Batman projects coming up, but long term, the Reeves movies and the cartoon will be what define the character into the future. It feels like a rebirth similar to the 1990s, with the brand uniting behind a specific tone. We had Burton doing his thing, with an extended animated series taking that atmosphere and fleshing it out further.

Does Giacchino provide the theme?
Do they bring back BTAS voice cast members, or start fresh?

Even if previous voice talent returns, leaving BTAS continuity behind was the right choice.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 21 Jan  2021, 05:15
They've been doing the Adventures Continue comic line recently which gives me reason to suspect this could happen. Part of me would prefer them to create something new, as was the case with The Brave and the Bold or even Beware The Batman. But from a business point of view, a BTAS revival would generate interest in HBO Max.

I'm unsure if the heights of the 90s could be reached, especially when we consider the likes of Batman and Harley Quinn. But if it happens, it happens. We can only sit back and assess the product. We're going to be well fed with Batman content in the near future, and this would be another bowl of dessert.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Thu, 21 Jan  2021, 05:37
It's like how they did the two B66 animated movies. You're looking back and trying to imitate something, but you're approaching things from a modern perspective. I don't think that can be helped. You're not in the flow of the original era, which once was the modern day.

So what ends up happening? Things that wouldn't have appeared on the show start appearing, and it may not feel organic. If things happened back in the day, we'd accept it unquestioningly. We would've grown up with it, and have had years of familiarity. Doing something new years after the fact feels different. A sense of consistency is vital.

I'd give a revival a chance, though. I'd like to see the transition from Robin to Nightwing play out on screen.

I actually came to like Beware The Batman. But did it compare to the likes of BTAS, Beyond or The Brave and the Bold? No. After pulling the plug early on Beware, they need to make this one last. Expecting a replication of BTAS's lightning in a bottle is unrealistic, but based on concept and art style alone there's potential for this to be great.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 19 May  2021, 14:19
Here's the description:

"The series will be thrilling, cinematic and evocative of Batman's noir roots, while diving deeper into the psychology of these iconic characters. We cannot wait to share this new world."

"Utilizing state-of-the-art animation techniques and technologies available, this powerful creative partnership will once again reinvent Batman and his iconic rogue's gallery with sophisticated storytelling, nuanced characters and intense action sequences all set in a visually striking world."

This sounds amazing!  8)

I'm not very keen, to be honest. Strong possibility it could retread old ground with BTAS. Aside from Timm, I'm not a huge fan of Abrams or Reeves.

Plus, I'm rather bored with Batman animations at the moment. I much prefer something new with other DC characters. How about a new Superman cartoon interpretation that's not handcuffed by nostalgia? One that's daring and not pandering to fools who freak out if he doesn't smile every second.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

This artwork gives me high anticipation of what's to come, since this appears to be very evocative of the early Bob Kane and Bill Finger comics that I have wished to see ever since I first read Batman From the 30's to the 70's. At the same time, I'm very wary with the involvement of J.J. Abrams. You would figure Bruce Tim's name attached to this would be enough. Abrams involvement with rebooted material has been very controversial over the years and he'll get the finger pointed at him if there's anything controversial about this. I'm hoping this will be the opportunity to make a Batman animated series that has no standards and practices looking over them. If they needed Abrams and Matt Reeves' name attached to this to sell it, then I'm grateful for their services. Just don't make them think they're more qualified of handling this material.

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 19 May  2021, 14:10
Looks like Bruce Timm, Matt Reeves and JJ Abrams are coming out with a new animated show on HBO Max. Sounds good except for the JJ part, but oh well. lol

He's got the longer ears here. Looks like Bob Kane's oldschool Batman design.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1395012888235061256?s=20

Quote from: Travesty on Wed, 19 May  2021, 14:19
Here's the description:

This sounds amazing!  8)

As far as I'm concerned, Matt Reeves hasn't set a foot wrong so far. I like everything I've seen and heard about his new movie and I'm happy to see him collaborating with Timm. This November will mark the tenth anniversary of the final episode of Batman: The Brave & the Bold, and I don't think there's been a great Batman TV show since then. A decade is too long to go without another classic Batman show. We're ready for this.

I also share the appreciation others have expressed for that poster. It's classic Timm artwork that evokes the pre-Robin Golden Age Batman era. It reminds me of these.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 19 May  2021, 14:36The avalanche keeps getting bigger:

The Batman
GCPD
Batman: Caped Crusader
The Flash
Batman '89
Batman: Earth One Volume 3
The Long Halloween Parts 1 and 2
Gotham Knights

I've said this before, but it bears repeating – Batman fans have a lot to look forward to right now. :)

Quote from: Kamdan on Thu, 20 May  2021, 02:24This artwork gives me high anticipation of what's to come, since this appears to be very evocative of the early Bob Kane and Bill Finger comics that I have wished to see ever since I first read Batman From the 30's to the 70's. At the same time, I'm very wary with the involvement of J.J. Abrams. You would figure Bruce Tim's name attached to this would be enough. Abrams involvement with rebooted material has been very controversial over the years and he'll get the finger pointed at him if there's anything controversial about this. I'm hoping this will be the opportunity to make a Batman animated series that has no standards and practices looking over them. If they needed Abrams and Matt Reeves' name attached to this to sell it, then I'm grateful for their services. Just don't make them think they're more qualified of handling this material.

My thoughts exactly. I'm concerned about JJ Abrams' name being attached to so many upcoming DC films and TV shows. I understand that his production company is in charge of the whole Justice League Woke enterprise that begins with the new Superman movie, but I don't see why he has to be involved with this too. Hopefully his producer credit is as perfunctory as Burton's was on Batman Forever and he'll have no real creative input.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 20 May  2021, 11:56
As far as I'm concerned, Matt Reeves hasn't set a foot wrong so far. I like everything I've seen and heard about his new movie and I'm happy to see him collaborating with Timm. This November will mark the tenth anniversary of the final episode of Batman: The Brave & the Bold, and I don't think there's been a great Batman TV show since then. A decade is too long to go without another classic Batman show. We're ready for this.
We're on the same page here. Going back to the very beginning is stripping things back as far as they can go, which can be liberating. He's truly a creature of the night with that depiction. Supernatural themes, castles, moonlight and all those things would be my preference. The purple gloves would be a bonus.

I also share the appreciation others have expressed for that poster. It's classic Timm artwork that evokes the pre-Robin Golden Age Batman era. It reminds me of these.

Something similar to this would be welcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFwOS2R9o_8&feature=emb_title

My thoughts exactly. I'm concerned about JJ Abrams' name being attached to so many upcoming DC films and TV shows. I understand that his production company is in charge of the whole Justice League Woke enterprise that begins with the new Superman movie, but I don't see why he has to be involved with this too. Hopefully his producer credit is as perfunctory as Burton's was on Batman Forever and he'll have no real creative input.
Judging by the poster Batman hasn't been race or gendered bended, so that component is safe. Reeves has me on board with his vision, and it's showing he's attached to the character for the long haul. This isn't the conduct of a man who is looking to cut and run anytime soon.