The Batman

Started by Paul (ral), Sun, 4 Jul 2010, 00:17

Previous topic - Next topic
Any fans of this show when it was around?

I only watched 1 episode but never really got into it.  I'm thinking about giving it another chance but is it worth my time?

As long as you lower your expectations.

The fourth season has the best episodes IMHO.
Why is there always someone who bring eggs and tomatoes to a speech?

You would think that BTAS would start a renaissance in Super Hero animation.

Alas, much of what came after it was crap. Except, of course, for the DC stuff made by the same people, but that doesn't count.

I understand that the later Batman cartoons were intended to be for a younger audience but it's not exactly like BTAS was Tarantino material.

I had to get use to the animation style for practically all the characters, but overall not a bad series, I thought it was good but not as excellent as the BTAS. Give it a try if you can get them cheap.  ;D

I was excited about The Batman but when I saw it, It was difficult not too throw something at the the screen!!!
The Look of the characters was my biggest complaint.....Why would they do that to The Joker and Riddler looking more like The Crow?
The most distubing for me was Bane...Red????
I did like that Adam West was on board as Mayor Grange and they did a good job with Alfred.
Overall I just thought they could have made a really good adaptation of characters that have been around 70 years now Instead of taking "creative liberty".

The only thing I watched from this series was the "The Batman Vs. Dracula" animated movie. Plot-wise, lacklustre and boring and nothing to do with the excellent elseworlds tale of the same name. The only things I liked is that the Penguin has flippers (like his BR counterpart) or some architecture in the background designs. I absolutely loathed the animalistic Joker - part of the Joker's charm is that he looks like a clownish dandy from Hell, the Sabretooth-like Joker was one of the most ridiculous things ever done with a Batman character. For me it was worse than Bane from B & R.

Bought the first season for £2.99, well worth it, so bought the rest a week later, £10 a pop, I actually think its good, no BTAS but damn its something new, fresh and pretty great.

Quote from: SilentEnigma on Thu, 24 Feb  2011, 22:24
I absolutely loathed the animalistic Joker - part of the Joker's charm is that he looks like a clownish dandy from Hell, the Sabretooth-like Joker was one of the most ridiculous things ever done with a Batman character. For me it was worse than Bane from B & R.
What I like about Batman is that they will try different things. In that regard, I don't grill them for trying. Certain groups (eg. Superman) are very much against change. Case in point replacing Williams' main theme, etc, etc. With Batman they'll just do it, and for better or worse, we have a wide range to pick from.

But indeed, the bare foot monkey aspect (hanging from walls and ceilings) didn't quite do it for me. The Joker can launch into frenzied frolics, but he can only do what is humanly possible. The animal side gave me the impression he wasn't as intelligent as other Joker incarnations. He was more of a literal monster. But hey, I always say if you're going to do something, go the whole way with it. And they did so here.

Thu, 21 Apr 2011, 02:33 #8 Last Edit: Mon, 25 Apr 2011, 15:57 by thecolorsblend
At first, I was really put off by the series. But (A) it's designed more specifically for children and (B) BTAS was still fresh in a lot of peoples' minds so it wouldn't pay to do too much of the same stuff BTAS did or else this show would suffer in comparison.

The only thing that REALLY bothered me was how bland and vanilla the Clayface design was. The BTAS version was inhuman and LOOKED the part but this one? Just boring to look at. Not off-kilter anatomy/proportions (that I can recall anyway).

I think it was worthwhile for what it tried to be.

"The Batman" was an excellent show. I don't see how any real Batman fan could hate it.

The problem is people comparing it to TAS. Really? That was lightning-in-a-bottle, people. Expecting something else to live up to the show you've built up in your minds as insumountable is just that--insurmountable. TAS is pehnominal... but just because a show isn't as good as it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it.
"There's just as much room for the television series and the comic books as there is for my movie. Why wouldn't there be?" - Tim Burton