Will the Snyder cut appear on HBO Max?

Started by The Laughing Fish, Fri, 7 Feb 2020, 10:52

Previous topic - Next topic

I'll give the more than less absentee parent in town, AT&T, credit for green lighting ZSJL, but it's profoundly evident that being a consistent "business" overseer never was in the cards. All the aforementioned shenanigans, and public statement slights from Warner's towards ZSJL made this abundantly clear. Which have been bizarrely allowed to happen to this very day. Amusingly enough.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat, 18 Sep  2021, 16:44
Daily reminder, it ain't about money in Hollywood. Hands down without question, the #1 commodity in that town is EGO. Everything else is a distant second at best.

Well thanks to ego, the current regime at Warner lost Nolan, who was announced to direct his next film for Universal a few days ago. Now I might not be a Nolan fan, but I can't ignore the fact that he has made Warner lots of money over the years. Losing him to another studio is yet another big black eye. That's not to say he doesn't have an ego either, but it's clear the whole HBO Max same day/same release controversy burned a lot of bridges with many people in the industry, especially him.

Right now, all Warner has too much ego, and not enough profit. "Director-driven studio", my ass.

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 18 Sep  2021, 17:52

I'll give the more than less absentee parent in town, AT&T, credit for green lighting ZSJL, but it's profoundly evident that being a consistent "business" overseer never was in the cards. All the aforementioned shenanigans, and public statement slights from Warner's towards ZSJL made this abundantly clear. Which have been bizarrely allowed to happen to this very day. Amusingly enough.

Depending on who you ask, AT&T might've overestimated their abilities to work in the entertainment industry. HBO Max is tangled with all these complicated relationships with other existing platforms, and now the service will begin slashing its prices in half to curb an expected loss in subscribers. The lack of adequate worldwide distribution compared to Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney Plus makes this even worse. I suppose Nolan wasn't speaking out of pure bitterness when he called HBO Max "the worst streaming service". On paper, it does have rich content on offer, but it's mismanaged horribly.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/is-there-hope-for-warner-bros-after-three-miserable-years-under-att
https://deadline.com/2021/09/hbo-max-half-price-discount-amazon-channels-streaming-1234838612

It's a mess. But the least that AT&T could've done is keep Emmerich and co in line when it comes to all things ZSJL. The deliberate lack of marketing of ZSJL is only the latest act of sabotage in a long list of misconduct. I won't list all the issues again, it's all documented for everyone to read.

If we're led to believe some scoopers, the Discovery merger will kick out the dead weight at Warner, and it should give hopes for the Snyderverse to continue in some shape or form. But until I see concrete evidence this is really happening, it's best to take it as a rumour. First and foremost, Emmerich and co need to get the f*** out. Their egos are destroying this studio's reputation.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 19 Sep  2021, 03:05
Well thanks to ego, the current regime at Warner lost Nolan, who was announced to direct his next film for Universal a few days ago. Now I might not be a Nolan fan, but I can't ignore the fact that he has made Warner lots of money over the years. Losing him to another studio is yet another big black eye. That's not to say he doesn't have an ego either, but it's clear the whole HBO Max same day/same release controversy burned a lot of bridges with many people in the industry, especially him.
TDK (the 2008 movie; not the member here) still earns tons of money for WB each year. About a year or two ago, I read a stat saying that TDK has been bringing between $80-$100 million per year since 2013 or so. Apparently, it was higher before that, as might be expected.

That single statistic should've guaranteed Nolan a lifelong comfy relationship with WB. The fact that WB lost him SHOULD have cost somebody high up his job. But it apparently hasn't. Which, again, speaks to the ego thing. The right person's ego got massaged so who cares if WB lost one of the top five hottest directors in the entire world rn?

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 19 Sep  2021, 03:05Depending on who you ask, AT&T might've overestimated their abilities to work in the entertainment industry.
Clearly, I overestimated their ability to manage f**king media brand. So, I'm in no position to argue that.

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 19 Sep  2021, 03:05HBO Max is tangled with all these complicated relationships with other existing platforms,
I'm prepared to give AT&T a pass on that. The fact is that subscribers are more forgiving than most people realize. A mediocre streaming service today can become a big player in just a year or two. HBO Max's shortcomings are not insurmountable. The "complicated relationships" are not chiseled in stone by God's fingernail. Those agreements will sunset, thereby simplifying matters.

I understand if hard decisions have to be made at this moment. But full-stop, now isn't the time to throw the baby out with the bathwater, you know what I mean?

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun, 19 Sep  2021, 03:05
HBO Max is tangled with all these complicated relationships with other existing platforms, and now the service will begin slashing its prices in half to curb an expected loss in subscribers.

Jesus ....

QuoteI suppose Nolan wasn't speaking out of pure bitterness when he called HBO Max "the worst streaming service". On paper, it does have rich content on offer, but it's mismanaged horribly.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/is-there-hope-for-warner-bros-after-three-miserable-years-under-att
https://deadline.com/2021/09/hbo-max-half-price-discount-amazon-channels-streaming-1234838612

At least they are consistent in being spectacularly incompetent. I mean, it's pretty much a real life spoof of a company these days. Who's handling things? Ralph Henderson?

QuoteIt's a mess. But the least that AT&T could've done is keep Emmerich and co in line when it comes to all things ZSJL. The deliberate lack of marketing of ZSJL is only the latest act of sabotage in a long list of misconduct. I won't list all the issues again, it's all documented for everyone to read.

Truly. To be perfectly honest, I kinda expected Warner's to at least attempt a half assed, absolutely half hearted cordiality towards the fan base (and even just general people who might actually have maybe just the slightest interest in checking out Snyder's vision for JL) following the order, and subsequent announcement that the Snyder Cut of JL was, at long last, going to be fully realized. If that couldn't be mustered, perhaps just some professionalism in terms of hype/advertising the film?

Welp. That was a no, and hell no.

QuoteIf we're led to believe some scoopers, the Discovery merger will kick out the dead weight at Warner, and it should give hopes for the Snyderverse to continue in some shape or form. But until I see concrete evidence this is really happening, it's best to take it as a rumour. First and foremost, Emmerich and co need to get the f*** out. Their egos are destroying this studio's reputation.

Yes, keeping expectations in check, and at a bare minimum is sound advice. The alternative only brings disappointment.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Sun, 19 Sep  2021, 11:19
Truly. To be perfectly honest, I kinda expected Warner's to at least attempt a half assed, absolutely half hearted cordiality towards the fan base (and even just general people who might actually have maybe just the slightest interest in checking out Snyder's vision for JL) following the order, and subsequent announcement that the Snyder Cut of JL was, at long last, going to be fully realized. If that couldn't be mustered, perhaps just some professionalism in terms of hype/advertising the film?

Welp. That was a no, and hell no.

Last year, there was a honeymoon period after ZSJL was announced that lasted about three or so months and every WB-affiliated social media account towed the line. That included WarnerMedia unleashing press releases to HBO Max and AT&T engaging with fans online. I understand social media interaction aren't indicative of what's happening behind the scenes, but there was excitement and high hopes in the DCEU (whatever the hell that even means anymore) for the first time in maybe five years. Look at the engagement here.

Then WarnerMedia had a corporate restructure later in the year, and that's when things gradually started to go backwards. That douchebag Emmerich was given more control of HBO Max and two key people in charge of the service who were reportedly pro-Snyderverse were let go, as this guy analyses in the video below.

From there, things started to unravel. AT&T let their guard down ever since and failed to keep Emmerich and his cronies in check and that's when we started seeing increased volume of unprofessionalism relating to the promotion of ZSJL. The sudden removal of the first Hallelujah trailer due to a supposed copyright issue was the first red flag. Even WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar engaged with Snyder cut fans on social media for most of the time leading up to the film's release, and then he suddenly ghosted people as soon as it came out. Now I'm hearing the 4K and Blu Ray releases don't include the digital QR code to stream the movie, which is supposed to be a common feature with Blu Ray media.

Warner Butchers can try and hide HBO Max's streaming numbers all they want, but they can't hide the home video sales. Sucks for them, even though they should be glad ZSJL is making some money for them, unlike a lot of their other movies this year.

But if we're led to believe some of the reports in the media, the likes of Kilar, Emmerich and Sarnoff's days appear to be numbered. Let's hope so, because one PR disaster and business failure after another is unsustainable. Egos be damned.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Mon, 20 Sep  2021, 15:29
Last year, there was a honeymoon period after ZSJL was announced that lasted about three or so months and every WB-affiliated social media account towed the line. That included WarnerMedia unleashing press releases to HBO Max and AT&T engaging with fans online. I understand social media interaction aren't indicative of what's happening behind the scenes, but there was excitement and high hopes in the DCEU (whatever the hell that even means anymore) for the first time in maybe five years. Look at the engagement here.

Yes, I remember the social media accounts coming across as at least supportive following the announcement. Unfortunately, I could never shake the rather unsupportive, or hell I'll be nice here, disinclined of any enthusiasm statement from Bob Greenblat where he publicly stated, "I wish it was just 30 million." Which, was only about a week following Snyder officially announcing that his vision would finally see fruition.

Now was this statement of resignation indicative of what the environment and overall opinion towards ZSJL was behind the scenes at Warner's? Which was in direct contrast of the official social media accounts? Or was this just Bob being a sour puss? Either way, that kind of mix signaling statement, pretty much right from the jump, put a suspicious dark cloud over the question of exactly what kind of support ZSJL was going to get from Warner's when the release would finally become imminent the following year. Of course, WB soon after (as we eventually witnessed), chose to dissatisfy with the roll out, and pretty much everything else pertaining to the ZSJL investment subsequent to it's release.

The pouting childishness is truly something to behold.

Yeah, I remember reading some executive lamenting about the additional budget going over $30 million, but I forgot it was Goldblatt who said that. If was he bitter about it then maybe he wasn't really an ally as some ZSJL supporters might have thought.

Today, someone on social media brought to other fans' attention that the WarnerMax trademark has been resubmitted - nearly a year since it folded after it only lasted for three or so months. At the time of writing, its application status is still pending.

https://uspto.report/TM/97019118

Reminder: the reason why WarnerMax got cancelled was because of the restructure that happened at WarnerMedia at the time. It was a streaming production branch that was intended to produce HBO Max projects and ZSJL was originally meant to be its first; its logo even appeared in the first Hallelujah trailer that got deleted.

Is this part of a surprise plan to resurrect it, or is there another explanation for this?

Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 22 Sep  2021, 20:12
The pouting childishness is truly something to behold.

Get ready to be dismayed at the childish stupidity once more my friend, because Warner Butchers have now turned off ALL the comments in the unlisted YouTube ad.

At this point, you only have to LAUGH at these worthless degenerates who are running this studio into the ground. I know Star Wars fans have tons of issues with Disney, but this sh*t with Warner is much worse.

Tue, 5 Oct 2021, 23:16 #498 Last Edit: Tue, 5 Oct 2021, 23:19 by The Laughing Fish
#RestoreTheSnyderVerse was trending on Twitter yet again today, as a reaction to HBO Max describing ZSJL a "global phenomenon", while the streaming service was promoting its launch in Europe. HBO Max Europe even highlighted BvS among their DC movie catalog.

https://www.twitter.com/kryptoncaged/status/1445329211045007361

From what I've seen, it's only the American branch that are ignoring ZSJL and anything else that's Snyderverse-related, whereas every other overseas branch affiliated with WB promote it. All the more reason why the wankers in charge of the home headquarters in Hollywood need to be fired ASAP.

Fri, 8 Oct 2021, 16:02 #499 Last Edit: Fri, 8 Oct 2021, 16:04 by The Laughing Fish
I saw these ads advertised on HBO Max's overseas accounts. One of them is dubbed in Spanish.

Aside from snippet of the the Williams Superman theme playing in the beginning, you can definitely hear the BvS Batman theme in the clip.

Is there a power struggle going on at Warner? You have the Hollywood studio trying their hardest to ignore ZSJL and stay anti-Snyderverse, but the overseas branches have yet again shown they're pro-Snyderverse.

What a mess of a company.