Doctor Who

Started by The Dark Knight, Mon, 28 Dec 2009, 08:44

Previous topic - Next topic
All of the Doctors are pretty good. Though Smith is my favourite. I can see this remaining so for quite a while, not just because he's the incumbent. I'll always come into bat for him. When you look at how Moffat wrote this incarnation, he's had a long life. Longer than most. Particularly the segment of time where he's avoiding meeting the astronaut on the beach in Series 6. There's plenty of room to play with for expanded universe adventures.

I am really excited to see him play off Tennant in the special. It should be a wonderful moment, even though at the back of everyone's minds, we know 11 is doomed with one episode to go. The good thing about Doctor Who is nothing is ever finite. Regeneration is a fixed point, but a Doctor's timelines are long and complicated. As we saw in Series 7, The Doctor is already dead. His complete timeline is stored in his tomb, and everything we see is a recount. Just as 10 and 11 were running around out there while we were watching 9.

But as a viewer, we will never see the end, and there will always be a new Doctor. The show is one of a kind.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue,  6 Aug  2013, 01:16
QuoteI also think Capaldi reacting to the bowtie is a guaranteed post-regeneration moment  ;D.
Has anyone seen 'The Thick of it' or 'In the Loop'?  I can only imagine what a Malcolm Tucker-like Doctor might say.  ;D

QuoteMaybe one day when I see more from each one, I'll make a list of my ranking.  Overall, there are some I like more than others, of course, but to me, from what I've seen/heard, they're all The Doctor.
Oh I agree with you there.  They're all as valid as the next IMHO.  None of them have let the side down partly because the Doctor is such a flexible character not based on any previous format and thereby allows for a wide range of interpretations.  All eleven TV Doctors have brought something special to the part.  Overall though Tom Baker and Tennant are the two that stick out most in my mind.

I've never watched "The Thick of It" but have been aware of it for some time. You must watch this video. It's fantastic!

Fave bit is at 0:11 and the last bit! If Capaldi played the Doctor like this it would be GENIUS!

"I want you to make a bomb and explode it today" LOL

Quote from: The Joker on Mon,  5 Aug  2013, 18:14

I'm pretty new to the whole Dr. Who mythology, with most of my knowledge coming from the Doctor's Revisited specials chronicling each Doctor in order, but I have a buddy who's a fairly hardcore whovian, and the choice of Peter Capaldi was most welcomed as he, prior to the announcement, expressed his thoughts on it being about time for the Doc to be portrayed by a more aged actor, as he had been in the past.

Having read some of the previous posts, I have to say that he agrees with Dark Knight in that he had absolutely no desire to see a regeneration into a female Doctor. Just because it can be done, doesn't necessarily mean it should be done. Plus, I did get to check out the 30 minute announcement special, and as I told him, it certainly appeared as if the executive producer didn't have a whole lot of interest in that idea either. As I remember some sarcastic quip following being asked about the idea and saying, "Yeah, next I want to see is a man playing the Queen". Or something to that effect.....

That was a great moment from Steve Moffat. He was launching a jibe at actress Helen Mirren (who played the Queen in a rather sh*te film) who has spouted off a lot lately about what the Doctor should be. Everything from black, gay, lesbian, woman...all in one! Pretty ridiculous gimmick casting. I worried the image of the Doctor had become a silly clown part again (as it was viewed prior to Chris Eccleston). Y'know we can only cast silly comedians as that character and all that talk? Capaldi has bumped up the quality again thank goodness.

The Eleventh Doctor did not work out for me at all. I found him far too childish (the "imaginary" "raggedy Doctor" and all that) and wacky with his magic wand (sonic screwdriver). I'd like a maturer and serious Jon Pertwee or Sylvester McCoy type this time. So I'm pretty thrilled we have a new one finally, just didn't expect it to be somebody as fantastic as Capaldi. He was a genuine surprise as I hadn't read the rumors. What a great face and voice! And he's a fan himself. I think he'll bring his enthusiasm into the character as David Tennant did and that will help him play a character superbly with so much history.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Mon,  5 Aug  2013, 23:58
Will you be watching the 50th anniversary special, Joker? Even if you're not a hardcore Whovian I'd recommend you check it out. It's bound to be something of an event, with two Doctors meeting each other.

Dark Knight, I'm pretty sure I will. The whole 'Who will be the 12th Doctor' got me interested, and I find myself more and more interested in the mythology as of late. Especially with the 'Revisited' specials, which definitely help me get a better idea of each Doc. Last week I was at a local BooksAMillion bookstore, and came very close to picking up a special Doc Who magazine that focused specifically on the Dialects (though the aforementioned Doc Who buddy gave me a notice on that magazine). I may just very well pick it up this week, even if it's going for $20. Which is pretty steep, but it looks very informative from what I could tell, and gives me something to read on breaks at work.

I also have a question for you, Dark Knight, regarding the mythology. I understand the regeneration process brings about a new Doctor, as well as persona, but are the previous Doctor's still 'alive' or 'present' within Doc Who's psyche? Or are they essentially dead personalities, with each new regenerated Doc simply retaining their memories and nothing more?

My line of thinking is just me loosely equating the previous Doctor Who personas/personalities to the concept of Bruce Banner having experienced turning into numerous Hulk's thru the years, though at the same time, establishing that the various Hulk incarnations like Savage/Gray/Professor/World Breaker Hulk, continue to live on within Banner's psyche, even if some are not seen for years during transformations, they are still present in Banner's mind.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Tue,  6 Aug  2013, 14:42
I also have a question for you, Dark Knight, regarding the mythology. I understand the regeneration process brings about a new Doctor, as well as persona, but are the previous Doctor's still 'alive' or 'present' within Doc Who's psyche? Or are they essentially dead personalities, with each new regenerated Doc simply retaining their memories and nothing more?
Technically, The Doctor has never died. Regeneration is cheating death. Though he's said the process feels like it. The Doctor is The Doctor (same mind) and he absolutely remembers all his past incarnations and what he did. Every cell in his body is replaced and repaired - resulting in a changed appearance. He maintains general key characteristics, eccentricity, wisdom, darkness, loneliness and such. Each incarnation has their own quirks and fashion sense. I like to think of it as someone changing their opinions as circumstances change. When 11 for example regenerates, that distinct personality is gone. Never to be evident again as it was there. He'll blend into the background, back into the great sea that is The Doctor. It's a heartbreaking, genius aspect of the show. It keeps the series, and the character who is pushing 900 years plus old, refreshed and recommitted.

Ok. That is unique, and thanks for clearing that up. I suppose alot of my speculation had to do with hearing or reading about the 1st Doctor being referred to as the 'Grouchy/Grumpy' one, as well as hearing about Tennant appearing in the upcoming special. Which is why I was loosely equating Who to Banner/Hulk where I thought previous incarnations of the Doctor basically remained present within the current Doc even if they never outwardly appear again. But from how I understand it, each regeneration essentially brings about a completely new lease on life so to speak, and with that, brings change in numerous ways.

If I am understanding it correctly, I can certainly see why each regeneration is heartbreaking, as well as bittersweet. As I'm sure viewers grew very fond of past incarnations that are simply no more....

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Indeed. A superb regeneration scene is the 9th Doctor's. If you haven't seen it, take a look.

Very cool.

A nice article detailing Peter Capaldi's love for Doctor Who since youth:
http://io9.com/check-out-the-doctor-who-fan-art-created-by-teenage-pet-1047918927
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

Quote from: BatmAngelus on Wed,  7 Aug  2013, 00:25
A nice article detailing Peter Capaldi's love for Doctor Who since youth:
http://io9.com/check-out-the-doctor-who-fan-art-created-by-teenage-pet-1047918927
You see many actors and actresses say they've always been big fans of whatever movie or show they've been cast in. Most of the time it doesn't come off as genuine. But here? There's no doubt whatsoever Capaldi is a Doctor Who fan. He sent a letter in to a paper as a youngster. Proof. So I'm thrilled for him.