The RoboCop Thread

Started by The Joker, Thu, 24 Feb 2011, 01:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Joker on Wed, 22 Jul  2020, 07:39Would anyone have a link to the proposed follow up, "Corporate Wars" script by Edward Neumeier and Michael Miner?

I don't know if their script has ever actually leaked online, but I've certainly never read it. I have read summaries of the plot and it sounds as though it was more deeply entrenched in the cyberpunk genre than Miller's script ended up being. Apparently aspects of The Corporate Wars treatment were adapted in the first episode of the nineties TV show: 'The Future of Law Enforcement'.

I've also heard that Neumeier and Miner planned to use their RoboCop 2 treatment as the basis of the RoboCop Returns script, which may explain why it's so hard to find online these days. If that film ever sees the light of day – and I sincerely hope it does – then we might get a documentary charting the development of their original Corporate Wars sequel.

Thanks for the info, Silver!

You know, I actually have the complete Robocop tv series on DVD, along with the 4 "Prime Directives" films, but just haven't spent the time to sit down and watch them yet. Perhaps, soon, I'll give the tv series a go (especially the first episode, if only to get a taste of what "The Corporate Wars" might have been like). I have some memories of the tv show as a kid, but it seemed like the show only aired late on either Fri/Sat nights, and I only saw a few episodes here and there.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Sat, 25 Jul  2020, 18:43
I've also heard that Neumeier and Miner planned to use their RoboCop 2 treatment as the basis of the RoboCop Returns script, which may explain why it's so hard to find online these days. If that film ever sees the light of day – and I sincerely hope it does – then we might get a documentary charting the development of their original Corporate Wars sequel.

That's what I was figuring. That the script is now rather difficult to find on websites due to the proposed Robocop Returns sequel being in development.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Here are a couple of videos relevant to RoboCop 2. The first is the official music video for 'The Kid Goes Wild' by Babylon A.D. It features specially shot footage of Robo himself along with Gabriel Damon reprising his role as Hob.

I like to think that this ^ is canonical – that Hob faked his death and RoboCop later busted him at a Babylon A.D. concert.

This second video is a promo for RoboCop's infamous WCW appearance to promote the movie. According to Sting, it was Peter Weller himself in the suit.

Quote from: The Joker on Sat, 25 Jul  2020, 21:40You know, I actually have the complete Robocop tv series on DVD, along with the 4 "Prime Directives" films, but just haven't spent the time to sit down and watch them yet. Perhaps, soon, I'll give the tv series a go (especially the first episode, if only to get a taste of what "The Corporate Wars" might have been like). I have some memories of the tv show as a kid, but it seemed like the show only aired late on either Fri/Sat nights, and I only saw a few episodes here and there.

I watched the live action TV series when it first aired in the mid-nineties, but I've not seen it since. Back then I liked it and had some of the action figures, but I don't know if it holds up very well in 2020. Probably not.

Was the Prime Directives any good? I did see the first episode when it was released on DVD, but I barely remember it and never got around to watching the other episodes. I know Murphy's son was working for OCP, and the violence was closer to the R-rated tone of the first two films than the earlier TV show. Other than that, it's a major blank spot in my RoboCop knowledge.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Tue, 17 Aug  2021, 06:36

Thanks for posting this, J. While I do have a soft spot for RoboCop 2, the more I hear about The Corporate Wars the more I feel like we were cheated out of a potentially great sequel. I'm generally opposed to reviving classic franchises at this point, mainly because the modern entertainment industry keeps screwing them up and I'd rather see some fresh IPs. That said, I still think the potential's there for one last great RoboCop movie. One that would finally deliver a sequel worthy of the 1987 original.

Unfortunately the slow progress of RoboCop Returns is starting to show symptoms of development hell. Peter Weller's already 74, so unless they're planning to deepfake his face onto a younger actor's body they need to get moving.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Wed, 18 Aug  2021, 17:32
Thanks for posting this, J. While I do have a soft spot for RoboCop 2, the more I hear about The Corporate Wars the more I feel like we were cheated out of a potentially great sequel. I'm generally opposed to reviving classic franchises at this point, mainly because the modern entertainment industry keeps screwing them up and I'd rather see some fresh IPs. That said, I still think the potential's there for one last great RoboCop movie. One that would finally deliver a sequel worthy of the 1987 original.

Don't mention it, SN.

This video did a lot in going over much of the details I was previously unaware of with the "Corporate Wars" proposed sequel. I really don't have much of an issue with the Robocop 2 we ultimately have, but yeah, I can see "Corporate Wars" being better in some ways. One thing I'm kinda "iffy" about, as far as the story line goes, is the big timeline jump from what was firmly established in the original Robo to what was going to be the case in "Corporate Wars". Sure, it might have worked, but I feel as if there was more to explore of that vision of the world, that OCP controlled Detroit, that we were introduced to in the original Robocop. Robo2 pretty much gave us this (complete with Ann Lewis returning, which was welcomed), but unfortunately it's an uneven film and most assuredly not the tightly edited, pretty much "perfect" film that the original was.

QuoteUnfortunately the slow progress of RoboCop Returns is starting to show symptoms of development hell. Peter Weller's already 74, so unless they're planning to deepfake his face onto a younger actor's body they need to get moving.

True. However, in this current climate with ACAB, and negatively towards white males, I can't help but think Robocop Returns remaining in developmental hell might actually just be a blessing in disguise. Which is sad to say, but it is what it is.

Though there is this documentary to look forward to.

Been waiting on this one for quite awhile.

Though there is this documentary to look forward to.

Been waiting on this one for quite awhile.

A while too long, if you ask me. The problem with independent documentaries like this one is that they have no deadline and keep working on it for years on end. This was supposed to be out 4 years ago, but they are making this needlessly complicated with complex editing that ultimately is distracting from the subject manner. Then they had to stop everything once Welles decided he wanted to talk.

The main attraction to this project was how they got mostly everyone that was involved in the sequels. The first film has exhausted it's self with special additions that covered all aspects of the production and the material that they were present for this new documentary seems superfluous at this point.

"RoboDoc"

Ha, I love the name. lol

Quote from: Kamdan on Thu, 16 Sep  2021, 13:16
A while too long, if you ask me. The problem with independent documentaries like this one is that they have no deadline and keep working on it for years on end. This was supposed to be out 4 years ago, but they are making this needlessly complicated with complex editing that ultimately is distracting from the subject manner. Then they had to stop everything once Welles decided he wanted to talk.

The main attraction to this project was how they got mostly everyone that was involved in the sequels. The first film has exhausted it's self with special additions that covered all aspects of the production and the material that they were present for this new documentary seems superfluous at this point.

4 years? It's been that long? Apparently so. Guess time flies by when you're having fun (yeah right!). Come to think of it, there's another documentary this company is producing that's going on for at least 4 years now as well, and that's the "IT: The Story of Pennywise" which focuses on the 1990 mini series. You pretty much better get used to waiting awhile when it comes to some of these projects.

Honestly, I'm just a sucker for documentaries I guess. Hell, I remember watching the accompanying documentaries for the 2001 "Superman The Movie" DVD release, and the 2005 SE "Batman 1989, Returns, Forever, ect" DVD's MORE than I did the actual movies themselves. Probably because I had already seen them so many times, but it's definitely something I am into. I mean, just last year I happily purchased Scream Factory's box set of the "Friday the 13th" movies, and even though there's already a seperate 9+ hour long documentary on blu ray going over the entire series, I would be lying if I said that any of the additional new extras Scream Factory provided in the set wasn't also warmly welcomed.

Although, yeah, I get what you're saying. The 1987 film has been focused upon by prior documentaries, to where this one might come across as a tad repetitive. However, with Weller actually participating in this, and giving his own personal perspective in a Robo documentary, that's not just vintage footage of him speaking spliced in like how Keaton and (I think) Devito were in the SE docs of Batman 89 and BReturns, this will by far be the doc's biggest draw for possibly being superior to any previous efforts. Not being overtly familiar with the company producing this, I don't really have any expectations on a particular stylistic approach to their documentaries. I can say that the guys who produced both "Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy" documentary, and "Crystal Lake Memories" certainly had a similar format.

Quote from: Travesty on Thu, 16 Sep  2021, 15:44
"RoboDoc"

Ha, I love the name. lol

;D

QuoteAlthough, yeah, I get what you're saying. The 1987 film has been focused upon by prior documentaries, to where this one might come across as a tad repetitive. However, with Weller actually participating in this, and giving his own personal perspective in a Robo documentary, that's not just vintage footage of him speaking spliced in like how Keaton and (I think) Devito were in the SE docs of Batman 89 and BReturns, this will by far be the doc's biggest draw for possibly being superior to any previous efforts. Not being overtly familiar with the company producing this, I don't really have any expectations on a particular stylistic approach to their documentaries. I can say that the guys who produced both "Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy" documentary, and "Crystal Lake Memories" certainly had a similar format.

Weller had actually participated in the interviews conducted for two-disc steelbook DVD edition, so it's not as thought getting him for this new documentary is as special as they're playing it out to be. The only advantage I see here is what he has to say about the sequel which the features on the Scream Factory Blu-ray made it very apparent that it's exceptions weren't met at all from not only a financial standpoint but also creative one.

Keaton and Pfeiffer's input were achieved interviews while Nicholson and DeVito got to contribute new interviews. I don't blame them for not wanting to new interviews since the archived ones that were done for publicity when the films came out make the perspective fresher than them trying to recount where they were at that point in time. There's a fantastic YouTube channel called The Bobbie Wygant Archive that features movie press junket interviews she conducted. I can recall at one point Wygant interviewing Joel Schumacher during the junket for The Client and inquiring about the then recent casting of Val Kilmer and Jim Carrey for Batman Forever and Schumacher addressing why Keaton and the rumored Robin Williams were out of the runnings. That's something you can only capture in that moment and not recall later since it's old news.

Those Friday the 13th and Elm Street documentaries are great examples of what the audiences wants out these. There was a 15 minute clip from the RoboDoc that was subsequently taken down that showcased what they're trying to achieve with a bunch of unnecessary graphics and wacky editing that seems like they want to win an award for instead of sticking to the main objective of a documentary: to inform. When you are shifting the attention away from the subject and make it the editor's showcase and prolonging your intended release date, you seriously need to reevaluate your priorities. Since there's no release date in sight, we all would've been better off if they are just handed over their interview footage to another company for it to be included on the last Blu-ray releases.