Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

Started by The Joker, Sat, 7 Dec 2019, 23:02

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Tue, 16 Nov  2021, 12:59
The more distaste that Jenkins expresses for a violent, action-packed Wonder Woman, the more she's disassociating herself from the 2017 movie. I think it's utterly stupid of her to do that. Yes, I know Snyder and Heinberg were instrumental to that movie's success, but it still remains Jenkins' biggest recognition as a film director since Monster. Diana is compassionate and loving and all, but audiences don't want to see that badass side of her get thrown in the bin. It's those very same traits why WW2017 and ZSJL were popular among general audiences. In ZSJL, the scene wehre Diana comforts a young schoolgirl and encourages her to be whatever she wants to be growing up, right after saving all the hostages in explosive fashion, is an example why people enjoy her character. From what I've read of WW84, it is a setback when it comes to portraying Diana as a feminist icon, compared to her defiantly telling Steppenwolf she belongs to no one.

It's weird. When WW2017 came out, it was used to run a narrative against Snyder's vision, mostly because of Geoff Johns had a hand in doing uncredited rewrites for the third act. But the studio were in on it, make no mistake. Even Henry Cavill, as much as I enjoy him as Superman, was opportunistic in hailing WW2017 as a "step in the right direction", while implying Snyder's style for DC on film was a "mistake"...despite the fact WW2017 is looks more like a Snyder-directed film than either MOS or BvS, and does many things those films get criticised for.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171101200425/https://www.moviefone.com/2017/10/31/henry-cavill-wonder-woman-first-step-correcting-dceu-mistakes/

But now, if Jenkins gets her way, Wonder Woman as a franchise will continue to steer away from the very first movie that made it successful. At this stage, it sounds as if ZSJL will be the closest thing to a true WW sequel we will get. As baffling as it is, it's yet another example of gross incompetence and mismanagement affecting the studio to this very day.

It's interesting, but I believe it's become abundantly clear that Warners' view of Wonder Woman is in a very unique predicament going forward. In that what Warners prefers to go with, is not necessarily what has been warmly received by today's audiences. Good business sense would naturally dictate to not go against the grain, and develop something more along the lines of Wondy's depiction in BvS, WW2017, and ZSJL, but evidently this hasn't seeped in yet. For some bizarre reason.

Unfortunately, I think this will likely result in Wonder Woman being considered radioactive by Warners, thru no fault of the character, but due to brazen mismanagement. This is already the case with Superman, and it's shaping up where Wondy will be joining him sooner rather than later. In Superman's case, for all intents and purposes, it appeared as if Warners were very open to a fresh and new cinematic take on the character during the late '90's to mid 2000's. Bryan Singer decided he wanted in, and WB rolled out the red carpet for him. Thus, resulting in the over infatuated with the Donnerverse movie that was "Superman Returns". Flash forward a few years, and Warners decided to give the green light to a more Post-Crisis interpretation of Superman with Snyder's "Man of Steel". Now there appears to be two different "Black Superman" projects, "Evil Superman" appearing in animation and in video games, but if you're looking for something new that appeals to fans of a more classic Superman .... well ... you're SOL right now. It's not even what's being pushed in the comics themselves at this point. With this "New Superman"'s politics, and sexuality being emphasized above all.

With Wonder Woman as a cinematic franchise, it pretty much boils down to Warners (and Patty), wanting to stick their heads in the sand, and ignore the determined warrior depiction that has been apart of the character's history for decades now, and to which played a part in Gal being warmly received, and ultimately becoming the true heir apparent to Lynda. Especially so in the public's estimation.

So if WW1984 Part Deux fails, and because Warners inexplicably considers Wondy depicted as a warrior absolutely off limits, she could very well share that same fate as Superman. Where WB will throw up their arms, and consider the character radioactive. Surmising that they "tried", but the character is no longer viable for current audiences.

To which they would be absolutely wrong, but hey, it's classic clusterF Warners thinking. I'm sure another reboot, only with Nubia, will be in the cards at that point. Certainly.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 18 Nov  2021, 05:54
With Wonder Woman as a cinematic franchise, it pretty much boils down to Warners (and Patty), wanting to stick their heads in the sand, and ignore the determined warrior depiction that has been apart of the character's history for decades now, and to which played a part in Gal being warmly received, and ultimately becoming the true heir apparent to Lynda. Especially so in the public's estimation.

Come to think of it, I remember hearing a rumour claiming Gal Gadot shares Jenkins' sentiment about the character as well. While she owes Snyder for her big break and she did express her gratitude publicly, Gadot is alleged to be very loyal to Jenkins. So much to the point that it was rumoured the next sequel will be her last film as Diana. But I have heard another rumour saying she is keen to stay on.

Regardless, there's one thing for certain: Gadot going public to state Jenkins and her disagreed with the idea of Diana walking away from mankind back in 2017 wasn't just a studio mandate. That's what the two genuinely thought. Don't be surprised if Gadot agrees with Jenkins' anti-warrior stance as well.

Sadly, that would mean Warner, Jenkins AND Gadot appear to be sticking their heads in the sand. After all the fiasco surrounding the Snyderverse over these last four years, not even I would've thought the studio and Jenkins would be willing to turn their backs on the one movie that was hailed as "the only good DC movie". The egos of these people...I can't comprehend.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei