Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

Started by The Joker, Sat, 7 Dec 2019, 23:02

Previous topic - Next topic

I figure since we're starting to get official WW 1984 footage now, it's about time for a new Wonder Woman movie thread.

wonder Woman 1984 teaser promo

Full trailer tomorrow.

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Sun, 8 Dec 2019, 22:40 #1 Last Edit: Sun, 8 Dec 2019, 22:44 by The Dark Knight
We see a wall blowing up. And later Diana saying "nothing good is born from lies, and greatness is not what you think" while fighting inside the White House. Wow, so subtle. Wonder Woman 1984 is just more liberal propaganda. Disappointing but not unexpected. Studios can't just make a movie that appeals to everyone instead of so blatantly picking a side. They're the ones bringing politics into this, and believe me, a large share of people don't subscribe to their ideological position.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Sun,  8 Dec  2019, 22:40
We see a wall blowing up. And later Diana saying "nothing good is born from lies, and greatness is not what you think" while fighting inside the White House. Wow, so subtle. Wonder Woman 1984 is just more liberal propaganda. Disappointing but not unexpected. Studios can't just make a movie that appeals to everyone instead of so blatantly picking a side. They're the ones bringing politics into this, and believe me, a large share of people don't subscribe to their ideological position.
The Trump'ish figure in the trailer was sort of the giveaway for me.

Trailer #1 is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfM7_JLk-84&feature=emb_title

Well, well, well. Not gonna lie, seeing Diana appearing in the Kingdom Come armor was a highlight.

The whole dynamic between Steve and Diana being flipped, to where he's the one that is the fish out of water, is likely to be played more for laughs in this than what we saw with Diana's situation in the 1st film, but that's not unsurprising. Don't really have an opinion on Kristen Wiig as Barbara Minerva/Cheetah from what little I've seen thus far. I always envisioned the Barbara Minerva incarnation of Cheetah to be decidedly the most 'sultry' out of the 3 Cheetah's that were in the DC Comics, to which I don't see Wiig embodying at all, but the film version could very well be a amalgamation of Priscilla Rich, Deborah Domaine, and Barbara Minerva. Maxwell Lord as the main villain might be alright I guess. Never found that character to be particularly interesting to be perfectly honest, and the rumored monkey's paw plot involving him doesn't instill much confidence that his film version will be any more constructive. His neck served it's purpose leading into Infinite Crisis in the comics, and I kinda liked seeing his reanimated corpse become a Black Lantern in Blackest Night, but that's about it really. Overall, the trailer is fine, but not outstanding. Digging the use of New Order's Blue Monday, BTW.

A lot of media from Hollywood, post the 2016 election, has it's share of lib talking points. Joker certainly had it's share, I'm sure Birds of Prey will, and it's looking like WW 1984 is continuing on. It's really just a matter of how heavy handed it is in the film itself, and not dialogue that could very well be out of context in a super fast edited trailer, that ultimately matters.

New Posters:

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Mon,  9 Dec  2019, 01:38
The Trump'ish figure in the trailer was sort of the giveaway for me.
Sly digs are one thing but this WW84 stuff is very heavy handed, especially in a 2020 release cycle. JOKER's politics didn't really bother me. Funding for mental health is generic stuff. Thomas Wayne being viewed as a rich jerk by the working class/welfare class isn't exactly revolutionary, and Thomas didn't resemble any current day political figure.

I'm kinda surprised that's your conclusion. Cause Thomas Wayne in Joker, embodied virtually all the lib narrative talking points of a very high profile politician's character and perception. I kinda find that hard to dispute really. I could go thru the list, but what's the point? You're astute. You know what I am talking about. Juxtaposition this with what is going on with the people in the city, and the response to what is conveyed Thomas represents, and the intent is transparent. Did I like this? No. Can't say I did. And I believe I've stated previously that stuff like this (especially Thomas Wayne's portrayal, which made the film feel more elesworldsy to me and I chose to view it in that light) is what I disliked about Joker as a film.

Actually, the only things that was needed to make this painfully and absolutely clear, was if Thomas Wayne would have had blonde hair, and been played by the guy who was the original choice, and who only remains relevant in today's pop culture for playing the lib caricature of said politician, Alec Baldwin.

Overall, all of this wasn't enough to make me dislike the film itself, as I consider the movie, Joker, special in a lot of ways. And not all of it was even in the film.

The thing about Max Lord is that he's more than he seems. Such as was the case in the comics, and assuredly in this film as well. I don't really care about the character that much (and would have preferred Doctor Psycho to be perfectly honest), but the guy was often conveyed as a fairly consistent caricature of a 1980's businessman, with a sometimes decidedly cornball look to him. I think it was around the time Infinite Crisis was taking place where suddenly he appeared like a buff MI6 agent right out of a James Bond movie.

But if we're going to harp on the resemblance's between Max in this movie, and a political figure, sure, ok. That's probably going to be the strongest argument. Otherwise, the whole rumored plot involving Max using, essentially, a magic monkey's paw that grants your personal wishes (including from what I gather, heightening nukes for the U.S. during the '80s cold war setting the film has), comes across a lot more comic booky Bond super villain plot (Hell, from what I gather, Max is not even going to be portrayed as a absolutely irredeemable villain), and a lot less politically indulgent than what we got with Thomas Wayne's portrayal in Joker.

These days, it's going to take a serious amount of cringe from Hollywood (like Ghostbusters 2016, Terminator Dark Fate, Doc Who, Batwoman variety even) to get me triggered. Joker never came close to that, nor did this trailer. But that's me.

I'd agree if Baldwin was cast the vibe would be stronger, even though the role would still be minimal. But the fact Thomas Wayne does not resemble any current day politician in the physical sense does allow a greater sense of separation. The only real things that stood out were the 'fascist' posters during the protest, but again, it seemed generic enough, and then the moment is gone. The clown movement is something lingering in the background to Arthur's struggle. Thomas himself didn't come off as a jerk to me, but rather someone looking to clean up a dirty city. 

I do like WonderGal, but I'd be lying if I said this aspects of this trailer didn't rub me the wrong way. The political hits seem more direct and focused to me. Positive aspects are there, of course. Looks like we'll get an invisible jet, the action looks fine and the fish out of water routine will again feature. The combat suit looks good, the soundtrack is killer and they're really playing up the 80s setting.

Let's see how it all plays out. (I know how much you love WW!)  ;)

I agree that the likeness doesn't add up, but felt that even though Thomas is thankfully not depicted as being comically evil (being shady at times in his past is left to interpretation, which makes the movie more interesting in this approach), he is still shown to be a rich guy who has a decidedly atypical politician demeanor (more brash, unfiltered, in-your-face) that, by design, invites positive/negative comparisons to a political figure in current day. As you said, it's just not painfully overt with Brett Cullen than it would have been with Alex.

Glad you atleast enjoyed the other aspects of the trailer! To me, it seems like Gal has grown even more comfortable in the role going strictly off the trailer, and that just makes her portrayal even more appealing overall. Finally seeing the invisible jet in a DCEU WW movie is going to be a real treat, and Chris Pine returning as Steve Trevor is a welcome addition. I didn't know how they were going to address this when he was announced for coming back. Steve's had a knack for dying and returning to life in the comics (more of an occurance during the silver/bronze age eras), and in the the Lynda Carter tv series, Steve Trevor became Steve Trevor Jr. when the time jump from the 1940s in Season One to the 1970s in Seasons Two/Three transpired. I guess they could have gone with the grandson/nephew route, but it looks like it's going to be more the former, and less the latter.

Just for the fun of it, here's the cover for "Blue Monday" used in the trailer.

Quote from: The Joker on Thu, 12 Dec  2019, 01:39
Glad you atleast enjoyed the other aspects of the trailer! To me, it seems like Gal has grown even more comfortable in the role going strictly off the trailer, and that just makes her portrayal even more appealing overall.
Speaking purely with the lower half of my body, WonderGal is my second favorite DC hero behind Batman. She's just great. The costume looks amazing on her, the fighting style is uniquely Wonder Woman (lasso and bracelets), the Zimmer theme is rockin' and Gal's charisma is infectious. The showcase WonderGal gets here from a hero standpoint is as good as anything we've seen.

Pretty exciting stuff aesthetically. A strong, skilled warrior who would dispatch the likes of Black Widow with ease. Swinging from lightning bolts too!