Batman Returns photoshoot

Started by Paul (ral), Fri, 11 Jan 2008, 14:09

Previous topic - Next topic
Fri, 11 Jan 2008, 14:09 Last Edit: Fri, 11 Jan 2008, 14:11 by raleagh
We all know about the throw aways for Batman 89 by Herb Ritts thanks to Reevz and Shadowbat, but what about the photoshoot for Batman Returns?

Take this poster (click to view)

now look at these photos of stunt double Dave Lea (click to view)

Is the poster really Dave with the eyes doctored?  I always noticed that Keaton's mouth looked a little different in the poster.

(btw, the site now displays the code for thumbnail links for pictures like above - just like photobucket)

Not sure. Anyhow I learned something new just now: David Lea is a "martial arts guru."  ;)

Which scenes were David Lea in?
The B89 photos you refer to will soon be back in our hands.

The belfrey fight scenes.  The fight scenes with the swordsman.  Quite alot.  Dave says that they had a double for Keaton, but he couldn't fight.  His name got passed on by a friend (he was already an extra on set - and can be spotted in a few scenes).

he gives a pretty good account here http://www.batmanmovieonline.com/articles.php?showarticle=14

That was disturbingly long-winded. He could be my ultimate cure for insomnia.

Interesting stuff though.  ;)

I think it is a great insight into behind the scenes.

but anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Is the poster really Dave with the eyes doctored?

then why is dave lea posing in those photos? 

it looks like the same photoshoot.

it looks like his cape seems to be wrapped up to allow a "flowing" one to be imposed later for posters.

why would a stunt double be present for a photoshot of the starring actor?

Sun, 13 Jan 2008, 06:10 #8 Last Edit: Sun, 13 Jan 2008, 06:22 by Darth Vader
Easy to mistake him for Keaton in those pictures. Upon closer inspection, I think I can spot the mouth differences...

The way I see it, those pictures were a whimsical of David Lea himself...  he probably asked a random someone with a camera to take individual shots, and those shots ended up getting circulated around. It would be weird for them to use David Lea for promotional photos of BR, when they could've used Keaton (I mean he wasn't doing any demanding stunts in those photos).

Although, Keaton was notorious for not wanting to wear the suit.