Interview with Steve Witting

Started by KeatonisBatman, Mon, 25 Sep 2023, 08:28

Previous topic - Next topic
I thought you all might enjoy Steve's insight into filming Batman Returns. You can read the full interview here:

https://brandonkeaton.substack.com/p/shootin-the-breeze-with-steve-witting

Hope you all enjoy it, I had a blast talking to him!

That's a terrific interview, KeatonisBatman! Thanks for sharing.

I had no idea that was Witting in Catch Me If You Can and all those Scorsese films. Between his screen acting, theatre and directing work, he's had a solid career. It's a pity his other scene with Jan Hooks at the masquerade ball was never filmed. It sounds like that might've offered a payoff for the nose-biting scene.

I'll keep an eye out for Witting in Scorsese's The Killers of the Flower Moon later this year.

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Mon, 25 Sep  2023, 15:55That's a terrific interview, KeatonisBatman! Thanks for sharing.

I had no idea that was Witting in Catch Me If You Can and all those Scorsese films. Between his screen acting, theatre and directing work, he's had a solid career. It's a pity his other scene with Jan Hooks at the masquerade ball was never filmed.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I did ask Steve whether he recalls what would've happened in the Maxquerade Ball scene, and he said he couldn't remember what the dialogue was other than that he would've been wearing a bandage over his nose in the scene.

Tue, 26 Sep 2023, 12:38 #3 Last Edit: Tue, 26 Sep 2023, 12:43 by The Dark Knight
Jen and Josh are minor roles but are rather important as they know the truth behind the marketing campaign that's depicting The Penguin as the more refined character of the comics. Oswald behaves like a dangerous animal because he is one. It's a commentary on how candidate quality doesn't really matter. A campaign's infrastructure works to push them across the line through big money and a coordinated ground game. It's the people behind the scenes who have the power - The Penguin had a grudge he was working on but he wouldn't be able to engage in day to day governing. Max is the real villain of the film.

Steve Witting's goofy facial expressions and appearance in BR reminds me of a Norm Breyfogle drawing. Nice to read his awkward but fond memories of filming that note-bite scene.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei