Deleted Scene regarding the Waynes Murders?

Started by eledoremassis02, Sat, 28 May 2022, 23:18

Previous topic - Next topic
Up for auction is this newspaper from Returns in regards to the Waynes Murders.

https://propstoreauction.com/lot-details/index/catalog/319/lot/89244?url=%2Fsearch%3Fkey%3DBatman%2BReturns
A Gotham Globe "Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Wayne Murdered - Only Child Survives!" newspaper from Tim Burton's superhero sequel Batman Returns. The edition of the Gotham Globe described the murder of Bruce Wayne's parents but was unseen in the film's final cut.

Anyone have any idea how this scene played out or the context of the prop in the story?

That newspaper prop is another version of the one that appeared in B89, but with a slightly different headline.

I don't see the point in revisiting the details over the Wayne murders again after it was covered in the first Burton film. If I were to guess, this prop is legitimate, but whoever wrote that description lied about it being made for BR.

With that said, Sam Hamm's Batman II script did intend to show the newspaper in one scene. But I don't think this prop would've been made for a script that never got greenlit.

INT. BRUCE'S LIBRARY - THAT MOMENT - NIGHT

The CAROL CONTINUES UNDERNEATH as ALFRED, white linen draped
     over one forearm, sets the tea tray down on his master's big
     mahogany desk.  He digs in his pocket for a key and unlocks a
     side drawer.

The drawer contains a stack of yellowed, aging NEWPAPER
     CLIPPINGS -- among them one which reads "THOMAS WAYNE
     MURDERED: Prominent Doctor, Wife Slain in Robbery.
     Unidentified Gunman Leaves Child Unharmed."  ALFRED digs
     around beneath the clippings and finds a concealed SWITCH at
     the rear of the drawer.

Gears grind, and a sectional bookcase detaches itself from the
     wall -- sliding out a couple of feet to reveal a STONE
     STAIRWAY which descends into darkness...

https://imsdb.com/scripts/Batman-2.html
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Wed,  1 Jun  2022, 03:31
That newspaper prop is another version of the one that appeared in B89, but with a slightly different headline.

I don't see the point in revisiting the details over the Wayne murders again after it was covered in the first Burton film. If I were to guess, this prop is legitimate, but whoever wrote that description lied about it being made for BR.

With that said, Sam Hamm's Batman II script did intend to show the newspaper in one scene. But I don't think this prop would've been made for a script that never got greenlit.

INT. BRUCE'S LIBRARY - THAT MOMENT - NIGHT

The CAROL CONTINUES UNDERNEATH as ALFRED, white linen draped
     over one forearm, sets the tea tray down on his master's big
     mahogany desk.  He digs in his pocket for a key and unlocks a
     side drawer.

The drawer contains a stack of yellowed, aging NEWPAPER
     CLIPPINGS -- among them one which reads "THOMAS WAYNE
     MURDERED: Prominent Doctor, Wife Slain in Robbery.
     Unidentified Gunman Leaves Child Unharmed."  ALFRED digs
     around beneath the clippings and finds a concealed SWITCH at
     the rear of the drawer.

Gears grind, and a sectional bookcase detaches itself from the
     wall -- sliding out a couple of feet to reveal a STONE
     STAIRWAY which descends into darkness...

https://imsdb.com/scripts/Batman-2.html

Interesting. I could see them filming this, even if it wasnt in the final script and then deciding to take it out. If it was filmed it would be cool to see how it was done. Though having the paper in a drawer takes away from the emotional impact of the unsolved file in 89 (granted it was solved in 89 too)