Madonna regrets turning down Catwoman role

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sat, 9 Oct 2021, 09:42

Previous topic - Next topic
She doesn't go into great detail, but Madonna confirmed on Jimmy Fallon that her decision to reject the Catwoman role in BR was one of her few career regrets.

https://www.wmagazine.com/culture/madonna-catwoman-the-matrix-regrets

I thought Madonna was fine in Dick Tracy, but I can't quite imagine she could've played Catwoman with the same level of intensity as Michelle Pfeiffer did. I doubt Burton would've chosen Madonna over Pfeiffer, and I don't even think the studio would've been willing to support her potential casting because her public image was very controversial. Her involvement in a film that was controversial itself at the time might've cast BR in an even more negative light.

With that all being said, I can't deny Madonna playing Catwoman could've had enormous marketing power.

QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

I don't know that Madonna is completely there anymore. Because also from Fallon...

Thank goodness Carrie-Anne Moss got the role of Trinity. Madonna completely obliterated her face with surgery and continues to act like a drunk granny. It's not funny or edgy, just plain embarrassing. She thought herself to be a pioneer, when accepting age would've been far more revolutionary and empowering. What a sad way to end, proving once again it's better to fade away gracefully than to burn out.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Sat,  9 Oct  2021, 17:39
I don't know that Madonna is completely there anymore.

You say this as if she wasn't always odd and attention seeking. If you remember back in 1992, she released a coffee table book called Sex. It was basically smut. With that in mind, is it really surprising she behaved the way she did on Fallon?

Like I was getting at before, BR's reputation could've been seen as far more perverse if she had starred as Catwoman. It might not be fair, but the film would've been linked to every controversy surrounding Madonna. Imagine this: Madonna stars in a superhero movie with unusually creepy sexual innuendos in June '92, and then she releases new music and book at the same time in October that creates more outcry. And then a month later, the most controversial movie of the summer starring one of the most controversial pop stars of the time gets released on home video. Parent groups and McDonald's would've been sh*tting their pants even further, and criticisms toward Madonna and BR would overlap, no doubt.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Sun, 27 Mar 2022, 18:15 #4 Last Edit: Sun, 27 Mar 2022, 18:46 by Andrew
I doubt most actresses could have gone as dark and intense as Pfeiffer and especially that, if they had, they would have still remained as likeable as she did.

So she would have been not as good but I don't know that it would make that much difference in reaction, I don't know that she was that controversial but most would have been eh she's just a big celebrity entertainer so they would have thought her casting and starring OK followup to huge star/celebrity Nicholson as Joker.

Edit: Madonna with her image as Catwoman might have avoided a little controversy as it may have made it a little clearer before release that this wasn't an all-ages, appropriate-for-little-kids take but I think most of the actual marketing we did get already conveyed that so there would probably be still be some surprise and backlash.