If Batman Returns came out today...

Started by The Laughing Fish, Sun, 7 Apr 2019, 05:38

Previous topic - Next topic
After that awful baby shower scene in The Flash and the rumour of Arthur Curry's infant son getting killed in the otherwise goofy comedy Aquaman in the Lost Kingdom that's coming soon, I think people ought to give BR credit for not making light of children in danger. For all the quirky dark humour it has, BR made you felt horrified at the thought of Penguin's desire to murder first born infants. Even the staged baby abduction, when Penguin revealed himself to Gotham City, was done in good taste compared to that tasteless scene in The Flash.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei

Quote from: The Laughing Fish on Sun,  7 Apr  2019, 05:381) Catwoman, and the supposed feminist treatment:

But how would some people with a YouTube channel might react to Catwoman and the theme surrounding her in BR? I have sneaky feeling that they wouldn't take it too well. I reckon they would complain how Burton made Batman get emasculated by Catwoman, and how he got "humiliated" by her when failed to talk her out of taking revenge over Shreck at the end of the movie. Now while I do believe critics do misrepresent people on purpose to promote their agenda, unfortunately, I've seen a loud minority of fools who are sexist bigots on YouTube, and do take issue with a female character. It's irritating, because it only gives the SJWs more ammunition to attack, but it is what it is. So, it wouldn't surprise me if the critics' warped praise of Catwoman just to put men down would've resulted in the more reactionary audience to reject the film on that basis alone.

Basically, what I was trying to say is the anti-SJWs would complain that Catwoman is "too woke". That's what's the rage on YouTube nowadays. This has been a long-term trend for the last six or seven years. Her "I'm a woman, life's bitch now so am I" speech is another example that would likely irk some audiences if it was released today.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of the whole woke discourse. As long as the product has a compelling story that doesn't come across as preachy, condescending, or insulting, I'm happy to give something a chance as long as the story is compelling. I don't care if it stars a female character or their ethnicity. At the same time, I won't give something a pass just because it meets an identity quota. Echo, for example, was just an average show because despite I thought Maya Lopez was the most interesting character in Hawkeye, her story wasn't interesting enough to headline her own series. Her identity had nothing to do with it.
QuoteJonathan Nolan: He [Batman] has this one rule, as the Joker says in The Dark Knight. But he does wind up breaking it. Does he break it in the third film?

Christopher Nolan: He breaks it in...

Jonathan Nolan: ...the first two.

Source: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=uwV8rddtKRgC&pg=PR8&dq=But+he+does+wind+up+breaking+it.&hl=en&sa=X&ei