12 Expensive and Eccentric Modern Hollywood Movies

Started by johnnygobbs, Tue, 26 Jul 2016, 20:25

Previous topic - Next topic
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/eccentric/42530/12-expensive-and-eccentric-modern-hollywood-movies

Here's the excerpt on Batman Returns:

QuoteWhat? A Batman movie, widely considered to be among the franchise's best, eccentric? Well, yes. It is a Tim Burton movie, after all, and it's Batman Returns' eccentricity that makes it so great. Although Burton's Batman was a decent big-screen reintroduction for the hero, Batman Begins is the better-made film, and following the success of the first, Warner really let the director stretch out and experiment, with a vastly higher budget than the original's $30 million.

As a result, we have a Batman movie in which its villains, Catwoman (Michelle Pfieffer), the Penguin (Danny De Vito) and evil millionaire Max Shreck (Christopher Walken) are collectively given far more screen time than the Caped Crusader himself. Then we have the film's grotesque character designs (the Penguin has a habit of leaking something that looks like chewing tobacco from the corner of his mouth, which still gives us the creeps today) and general chaos, kinkiness and violence, which make for a decidedly unusual superhero movie – albeit a fantastic one.

Warner must have quietly sighed with relief when Burton left the franchise and Joel Schumacher stepped into the breach with a sunnier, campier vision with Batman Forever. And then Batman & Robin happened, and all of a sudden, a murkier Dark Knight didn't seem like such a bad idea after all...

Incidentally, it's a great list.  Some great films, besides Batman Returns, are mentioned, including The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Cloud Atlas and David Lynch's Dune.  I also have quite a soft spot for The Fifth Element.

Although I can honestly say, Battlefield Earth is one of the worst films I've ever seen.
Johnny Gobs got ripped and took a walk off a roof, alright? No big loss.

Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 26 Jul  2016, 20:25Although I can honestly say, Battlefield Earth is one of the worst films I've ever seen.
I agree. Battlefield Earth isn't an "eccentric" movie; it's just BAD.

Quote from: thecolorsblend on Tue, 26 Jul  2016, 22:26
Quote from: johnnygobbs on Tue, 26 Jul  2016, 20:25Although I can honestly say, Battlefield Earth is one of the worst films I've ever seen.
I agree. Battlefield Earth isn't an "eccentric" movie; it's just BAD.
Well, you could say it's eccentrically bad. :)

Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 02:59 #3 Last Edit: Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 03:12 by The Dark Knight
Battlefield Earth isn't an "eccentric" movie; it's just BAD.
Poor L. Ron. No money to con out of people that time.

Quote from: The Dark Knight on Wed, 27 Jul  2016, 02:59
Battlefield Earth isn't an "eccentric" movie; it's just BAD.
Poor L. Ron. No money to con out of people that time.
On this matter, I think we're all in agreement. :)