Batman Returns and The Comics

Started by BatmAngelus, Sat, 19 Jul 2008, 18:03

Previous topic - Next topic

thanks and sorry I got confused it was Uslan not Hamm, my bad! good read

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

Mon, 6 Oct 2008, 02:37 #42 Last Edit: Sat, 29 Nov 2008, 05:14 by batass4880
Quote from: Joker81 on Sun,  5 Oct  2008, 20:13
To be honest thats one thing thats kind of bugged me about Catwoman in Returns. Is that she was created out of revenge. I never liked that. I feel like she should have originally been a cat burglar, like in the original comics.
I know how you feel. A few years ago I bought some of the Batman archives by DC and became a Bat-fundamentalist so I still would like to have seen Sam Hamm's script made where she was a cat burglar. But I still love Burton's version like crazy. It's like wanting a Beagle for a pet but you get a mutt instead and you fall in love with it.

My two problems with the film are that Max Shreck uses the Penguin like a puppet and I think it should have been the other way around. My other problem with Returns was the whole circus gang/freak show thing. I thought that weakened the Penguin's image for me. I ended up fearing Max Shreck more than the Penguin. Then again Hamm's script hardly had the Penguin in it until the final act. You just have to forget about the legacy and get drawn into the movie which is not hard to do.

they kinda had the burglar element when she broke into Shreck's Dept. store and trashed the place then ended up blowing it up, it showed she definitly has some burglar styled skills.

Yeah but she wasnt breaking in to rob the store. She was breaking in to blow it up! All part of her vendetta against Schriek.

I would have liked to see her start off as a thief because her job wasnt paying the bills, then slowly be driven crazy as the movie went on.

Maybe they could of had her robbing Schrieks office as Catwoman, only for Schriek to walk and THEN drop her out the window - thus driving her insane and setting up the revenge subplot.

What bugged me as well was where did she get these martialarts skills from lol???

The circus cheapened the film for me, they were not that threatening.

I loved the Schreik character, one of the best villians! Shame we didnt see his full potential, because he was the MAIN villian in this movie for me. He manipulated everone around him for his own ends and own means. He was selfish and egotistical lol Brillaint. The Penguin and Catwoman were more to be pittied.

But dont be getting me wrong, I love Returns, one of my favourite sequels ever!

Burton didnt really care or not wether he got the correct comic elements of the character ( or the rest of them), he had his own vision on how he wanted all of the characters to be, thats why alot of things are very off from the characters comic book counterparts.

Thats why Batman Returns is not a "Batman Movie" its a Tim Burton movie with Batman characters in it.

Quote from: DarkVengeance on Wed,  8 Oct  2008, 23:37
its a Tim Burton movie with Batman characters in it.
That is exactly one of the reasons why I love it, and prefer it over 89. It is Burton 100 percent doing what he wants, everything Burtonised. He had a lot more control to do 'his thing' with Returns. He got the Batman atmosphere dead on.

Well me being a Batman fan is the reason I prefer 89, because it actually stays a little bit closer to the comics that I grew up on and loved so much.

Quote from: Joker81 on Fri, 10 Oct  2008, 22:11
Oh were you alive in 1940?
No but Ive read probably atleast 20-30 batman comics from the 1940's. What do the 1940's have to do with anything, dont you have one clever comeback up your sleeve?....I guess not pal