Batman Returns and The Comics

Started by BatmAngelus, Sat, 19 Jul 2008, 18:03

Previous topic - Next topic
this is great, Ive never seen someone post so many comic influences from BR, there are quite a few!

I have given a name to my pain, and it is BATMAN.

QuoteThis isn?t a comic book influence per se, but the plot about the Penguin attempting to become Mayor was inspired by two episodes of the old Adam West TV show: Hizzoner the Penguin and Dizzoner the Penguin.

Well, Burton is a fan of the 60's tv show.

These comic references are just fantastic. Really cool. Especially the cage, christmas present and penguins stuff.

WOW, excellent first post, Silver Nemesis.  The best was the penguins with explosives at the zoo.   :D
That awkward moment when you remember the only Batman who's never killed is George Clooney...

This kind of stuff really makes me appreciate Burton's Batman even more. If you look at it as the very, very first Batman - before his moral code, etc, it is fine.

That's the thing we never got a third movie and never got to see him grow, mabye he would have started to develop a moral code?, sadly we will never know...Yet another reason to hate JS >:(.

Quote from: Sandman on Tue, 30 Sep  2008, 03:56
That's the thing we never got a third movie and never got to see him grow, mabye he would have started to develop a moral code?, sadly we will never know...Yet another reason to hate JS >:(.
That's a cool thought. He begins a moral code in the third film.

I dont think Burton really payed attention to wether Batman had a moral code or not in the comics, its not like he was looking through Batman comics before filming started on 89 ( like Nolan did before filming BB), the only one that I know he liked and read was The Killing Joke.

Quote from: DarkVengeance on Sat,  4 Oct  2008, 00:22
I dont think Burton really payed attention to wether Batman had a moral code or not in the comics, its not like he was looking through Batman comics before filming started on 89 ( like Nolan did before filming BB), the only one that I know he liked and read was The Killing Joke.

Michael Uslan gave Burton the Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers runs, the Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil runs (where Batman did not kill) and the first year of the Kane/Finger run (before the CCA, where Batman did kill) before production started.

It is true that he liked The Killing Joke the best.

Where did you get the info that he gave Burton those comics? Ive read pretty much everything and watched every documentary and have never heard that before.