Joker (2019)

Started by Wayne49, Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic
I know people who consider themselves "World War II fans". Something about that war and that specific period of history really captures their interest for some reason. They're not weird, bloodthirsty savages. They simply enjoy studying the topic and the personalities involved with it.

Other people I know have a similar interest in Jack The Ripper. They're not murderers themselves and they don't admire murderers. But something about the Jack The Ripper case intrigues them.

And TDK has a fascination with Ted Bundy. He was a good looking, charismatic man who should've been so much more than he ultimately became. He could've been whatever he wanted to be. And in the end... well, we all know. It's not like TDK is somehow odd or different in that regard. Millions of people share a similar interest in the Ted Bundy case. I should imagine that their interest in the case is no reflection of their character (or their sympathies). It's simply a case that intrigues them.

I honestly don't understand why that should be a controversial subject. We're all here because we have a passion for Batman. And, frankly, following the Ted Bundy case can be adduced from a Batman fandom rather easily, I think. I see a fair amount of connective tissue there. If Batman was a real guy (or if Bundy was a fictional character), it's not a stretch to think that Batman would eventually have some type of showdown with Bundy.

In fact, I think an interest in true crime in general could reconcile itself rather easily with an interest in JOKER as a film.

tl;dr- I think Wayne is making a big deal out of nothing with TDK's "fascination" comment.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Fri, 13 Sep  2019, 14:57
You've been off in the weeds on Bundy, some bizarre notion about reality, and now John Lennon, Elvis, and Scientology. BTW your fascination with Scientology is a complete contradiction to your displaced theories on reality and death, since that belief system follows the idea of nurturing an IMMORTAL SPIRIT. Say hi to Lennon for me. I can only imagine...
Wayne, I am being honest with you here. Wires must have been crossed somewhere along the line, and I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. I am not a devout follower of Scientology. I know it is a scam. Thetans are not real. Past lives are garbage and lots of material was literally dreamed up on acid trips. These concepts are the brainchild of a struggling science fiction author who created a pyramid scheme religion to make money. A man who turned life failures into perceived successes by lying to brainwashed sheep. I've read numerous books about Hubbard, and I could recommend a few if you were interested. What I'm trying to say here, is just because I am interested in Scientology, Bundy, Mugabe and these types does not make me disciples of their doctrine. I'm not a fan of them, and I know what they're about. They haven't converted me because I'm wise to their act. I merely have an interest in these types of personalities. I can't be any more clearer than that. My Lennon and Elvis passion is not just because of their music, which I love, but the rose tinted portrayal they've had since death. They're much deeper than that, and that's what I like discovering. Truth behind myth.

Quote from: Wayne49 on Fri, 13 Sep  2019, 14:57
I'm going to see this movie when it opens. If the content matches the conjecture discussed here, I will not like the film. Joker is a comic book character that, in my opinion, is not built to convey a positive message about social oppression or mental illness in the real world, since those are not his story responsibilities in a greater canvas involving Batman (stand alone tale or not). But if the story gives multiple examples of characters placed in the spin cycle of hard luck with Arthur and offers the audience a message about choices, then there might be a redeeming story to be told here. Because at the end of the day, its not what happens to you that defines you. Its how you handle it that measures your value.
Very well. That's your right. We'll see how the film plays for you. You never know, you may end up liking it.

On an aside, it seems like JOKER is projected to be a box office smash, for opening day/weekend at least. Let's see if that eventuates, and if the film has legs for repeat business.

Went poking around on Twitter and found the above poster. It's not an official poster. It's a fan work by an artist called Jack C. Gregory.

https://twitter.com/JackGregoryArt/status/1172068422970068993

The struggle we go through every day as humans is what appeals to me the most thematically. Case in point Peter Parker, especially in Spider-Man 2, being romantically crushed. My favorite genre or mood is the depressed man, or the functioning depressed man getting through his days and somehow finding the inner strength to go on despite that inner pain. Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head (BJ Thomas), Happy Together (The Turtles), Strange Things (Randy Newman)...those types of upbeat but sad songs set against montages connect to me more than anything. What could be...what SHOULD BE, but isn't.

This film takes that quiet suffering and takes it boiling point, with the wounded man deciding to lash out, rather than bear the brunt. From what I gather, JOKER also has these musical montage scenes, which seems appropriate. A lot of people these days are living lonely lives, wanting to make connections but failing to do so. That leads to frustration and a sense of being unfulfilled, which can basically drive people insane, as the same old cycle isn't going to be broken. Fleck feels invisible, and when he's noticed, he's mocked. Madness/revenge is therefore his emergency exit and coping mechanism.

Assorted collection of images:

"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humour was provided to console him for what he is."

Quote from: Silver Nemesis on Thu, 19 Sep  2019, 21:23

This is the pick of the bunch for me because of the symbolism it provides. Arthur's face is washing away, rather than the Joker face paint. It suggests Arthur has been the mask and the clown persona is his true self. I really think JOKER is only going to strengthen my fascination with the character.

So this is the only review I've listened to about the movie, and they go over it pretty well. No spoilers at all, but they brought up a few things I was hoping wouldn't happen: they say it's one of the most political movies they've seen, and they also think the worst part about this, is that it's tied to the Batman universe, cause it doesn't need to be. They both liked it, but found it highly disturbing and political.

So, I dunno, I'm still going to see it when it comes out, but those were my biggest worries about it. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see for myself what I think of it, but at least I know going in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=p3GL6eKRGI0

Quote from: Travesty on Sat, 21 Sep  2019, 03:27
So this is the only review I've listened to about the movie, and they go over it pretty well. No spoilers at all, but they brought up a few things I was hoping wouldn't happen: they say it's one of the most political movies they've seen, and they also think the worst part about this, is that it's tied to the Batman universe, cause it doesn't need to be. They both liked it, but found it highly disturbing and political.

So, I dunno, I'm still going to see it when it comes out, but those were my biggest worries about it. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see for myself what I think of it, but at least I know going in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=29&v=p3GL6eKRGI0
There are several philosophical viewpoints to take with this movie (and I have one of my own), but I fail to see how a Joker movie being connected to a Batman universe could be labelled as an unnecessary negative. I am more informed about JOKER than just one review, and in terms of politics, I'm pretty comfortable with the route they've taken - but a viewing of the final cut will be the true assessment. I'm not as worried as I had been.

As for the disturbing commentary, I don't see the problem because that excites me the most. I'm hoping for hyper realism to the point if feels like a documentary, shocking people to the core. It's time for F bombs and blood, showing the full potential of the cinematic character, well elevated above what Nicholson or Ledger presented. Instead of cutting away in a typical B89/TDK style blockbuster, show us the knife going in and the bullet nearly blowing the head off. I think that should be the whole point of the movie. This is the format for that experience, because we're not really going to see it anywhere else outside the comics. We laugh at chattering teeth and long barrelled guns, but gore and tragedy is the true soul of the character.